ASL, SEE Sign, & Signed English

I really don't like the idea of the way terps have some new signing becuz I can't interfere while lecture during in class I can't make her stop or ask her question if I don't understand what she said or signed. That's why I ask, it's better to have a new text captionist once easier without hassle to ask too much questions for dhh peers to read it on the pager or laptop in college or mainstreamed school. So, they can make a copy and reread it again that way it will build up their educational development than to look at sign concepts like a wall picture of art doesn't make sense of grammatical language.

I believe for dhh students that will help to expansion of their growth in literacy habits.

gnulinuxman said:
:pissed: WTF??? I totally disagree here. What have you got against signing in ASL? English isn't a sign language.
WTF does that have to do with interpreters?

Waa waa waa...It isn't THAT important to get it word-for-word. If you must, then tell the interpreter.
Waa Waa Waa? Wtf? Excuse me...

You see how much this is a hassle to me? -- To tell interpreters what I want and yada, dada. And of course, I have to ask a student a favor to take a note for me...? I don't like to do that. That's why I'm using transcribers in my class now. The transcriber typed everything down, and they'll email me the notes. I like that lot better than interpreters.

You're interpreter, not a deaf student. That's why you don't get it. Once you're in my shoes, you'll see what I'm talking about. (-_-) (sigh)

Reba said:
Well, it's not "against the ADA laws" but it's also not very professional.

I wonder if the interpreter is refusing to voice because she is not confident in her voicing skills?

If the problem can't be resolved between the two of them, then your fiancee might want to request a different terp, and give the reason why to the supervisor or scheduler of the terp. (I don't know how her terp is assigned, so I can't be more specific.)
The terp who won't do this is a college employee and if she requests a different interpreter, she is denied all interpreting services. The interpreter was in a meeting once with both of us, and when I got mad and started signing things to her, the interpreter voiced what I signed for her bosses (they demanded to know what we were talking about), but she refuses to when my fiancee asks her. It's only this one interpreter, but she is the head of the interpreting services, so as I said earlier, she loses all interpreting services if she requests another one.

Demise said:
That's why you don't get it. Once you're in my shoes, you'll understand what I'm talking about. -_-
Oh? Please stop putting ASL down. No one language is better than another, no matter what kind of language it is; they're just different.

And English isn't a sign language. It is an ORAL and WRITTEN language.

:topic: but I find your sig very offensive. Not all hearing people use English, and some, like me, know multiple languages.

gnulinuxman said:
Oh? Please stop putting ASL down. No one language is better than another, no matter what kind of language it is; they're just different.

And English isn't a sign language. It is an ORAL and WRITTEN language.

:topic: but I find your sig very offensive. Not all hearing people use English, and some, like me, know multiple languages.

If you have a problem with me, take it to pm. So we can settle our differences for once.

Anyways, sometimes I don't understand deaf when she or he signed in ASL. Usually I'd signed to them, "Sign English, please." Likewise a hearing person would said that to them if they don't understand them, they will said, "Speak English, please."

I prefer to sign every word according to English Grammar rules -- not ASL like there's no "was", "have", "is", "are", you get what I'm talking about.

Tousi said:
I am really curious about ANY circumstance under which an interpreter can be legally required to break confidentiality. Can I have an example or two?

This should all be verified by someone else because I am shaky on legalities.

I believe if an interpreter is subpoenaed, he or she may be required to tell everything he or she knows, even if it breaks confidentiality. (As you can see this would be a very extreme situation.)

Also, I am fairly sure that an interpreter working with kids is required to report if a child is being abused, even if that was told to the interpreter in confidence. Now I may be mixing this up with another job I had where this was the case (meaning I had to report child abuse even if it broke confidentiality), so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Those are the two legal-type situations I'm thinking of.

SmiLe ImL said:
I really don't like the idea of the way terps have some new signing becuz I can't interfere while lecture during in class I can't make her stop or ask her question if I don't understand what she said or signed.

Obviously it doesn't matter to me if your preference is an interpreter or a captionist, but I'm curious: Why can't you ask your interpreter to stop and clarify something you didn't understand? If a student needs me to stop and make something clearer, I always do it.

Now, I won't answer questions about the content that the student should be asking the teacher, but I don't just ignore them, I ask the student to direct them to the teacher. Have your interpreters just been ignoring your questions? Because that isn't right.

I believe if an interpreter is subpoenaed, he or she may be required to tell everything he or she knows, even if it breaks confidentiality. (As you can see this would be a very extreme situation.)

Also, I am fairly sure that an interpreter working with kids is required to report if a child is being abused, even if that was told to the interpreter in confidence. Now I may be mixing this up with another job I had where this was the case (meaning I had to report child abuse even if it broke confidentiality), so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Those are the two legal-type situations I'm thinking of.

That is correct. I started out as a pre-law before I switched, and if any person working a job like that is required to report abuse, breaking confidentiality or not. As to the subpoena, the people have to have a good reason to subpoena you, and if it happens, you have the sheet taken to an attorney and see what you can and can't say. Usually you only have to break confidentiality on things that are on-topic. For example, if they are confirming an alibi, you wouldn't tell them what they were doing three months prior to the crime. You woul give info directly related to what they ask, and the stuff that is covered in the court order.

sculleywr said:
As to the subpoena, the people have to have a good reason to subpoena you, and if it happens, you have the sheet taken to an attorney and see what you can and can't say. Usually you only have to break confidentiality on things that are on-topic.

Thank you for the confirmation on all this.

I suppose if you're going to that attorney, you might actually have to break confidentiality there if you're going to nail down exactly what you can and can't say in court...but then that information is protected by attorney-client privilege.

Interpretrator said:
Thank you for the confirmation on all this.

I suppose if you're going to that attorney, you might actually have to break confidentiality there if you're going to nail down exactly what you can and can't say in court...but then that information is protected by attorney-client privilege.

exactly, plus it would be good if you and the deaf person were both present with the attorney, if at all possible. That would make it so he/she knows.

She started getting angry with me and telling me that her nickname for ASL was American "slop" Language. She basically denied the existence of deaf culture or that deaf people were different than hearing people. Is it just me, or are there others here that have experienced something similar for the language you choose to use? :dunno:

PS: She didn't even get enough of a sample of my signing to be able to tell the difference between ASL and CASE, which is what I am using until I learn the syntax properly.

PS2: If this is off topic, could someone direct me to a thread where it would be on topic?
Hmmm... Sounds like you are experiencing audism. See this thread on the topic. http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/26284-making-word-audism-more.html

:pissed: WTF??? I totally disagree here. What have you got against signing in ASL? English isn't a sign language.
WTF does that have to do with interpreters?

Waa waa waa...It isn't THAT important to get it word-for-word. If you must, then tell the interpreter.
Please treat others with more respect in my thread and please try to conduct yourself as an adult. Thank you!

All you have to do is to write the English language and teach your kid in ASL verbally. It is not that too hard.

My two-year old daughter can speak full sentences and sign in ASL. My five-year old son can speak very well. There is no barrier between ASL and spoken-language. My kids with bi-language are doing very well. My son is in preschool program at the public elementary school. I was told that they will consider him to enroll into the first or second grade class instead of kindergarten program. I was like :confused: No, I am not kidding. My wife who is HH always teaches our kids the proper langauges and good manners.

What about Math skills? What is so hard to understand the Math language?
What about Science skills? What is so hard to understand the Science formation?
What about Music Skill? What is so hard to learn the type of music?

I am not surprised that people with oralism methods made an effort to lecture hearies that there is no way to improve the deaf oralism student with their knowledgeable in ASL. That is Myth...

:gpost: That is so right Mookie! When the Deaf schools actually taught English using ASL first, literacy was not a problem. Students read and wrote and understood at the same level as hearing students. When the Oralists forced ASL underground, and Deaf schools stopped teaching using ASL, then the Deaf students started to have problems with literacy.

My son went to a deaf school where many of the teachers are deaf and taught their classes in ASL. He is a college student now and has an A- average. I believe it is because he was taught in the language that was natural for him, and that made learning English easier.

The terp who won't do this is a college employee and if she requests a different interpreter, she is denied all interpreting services. The interpreter was in a meeting once with both of us, and when I got mad and started signing things to her, the interpreter voiced what I signed for her bosses (they demanded to know what we were talking about), but she refuses to when my fiancee asks her. It's only this one interpreter, but she is the head of the interpreting services, so as I said earlier, she loses all interpreting services if she requests another one.

This sounds like it's time for a lawsuit. They are threatening to take away her access to that school just because she is requesting another interpreter. That is an abuse of her position. I don't normally advocate filing lawsuits, but this sounds like it is the only way to solve the problem.

This sounds like it's time for a lawsuit. They are threatening to take away her access to that school just because she is requesting another interpreter. That is an abuse of her position. I don't normally advocate filing lawsuits, but this sounds like it is the only way to solve the problem.

Absolutely. I work in a university in the office of student support and arrange services for all disabled students. She has every right to request another interpreter if the one she has is not fulilling her responsibilities. All terps don't work effectively with all people.

Absolutely. I work in a university in the office of student support and arrange services for all disabled students. She has every right to request another interpreter if the one she has is not fulilling her responsibilities. All terps don't work effectively with all people.
That's an interesting point. I have seen some terps that work with my son that don't even engage him. You know, just signing to the clouds and looking around, flipping their hair. Signing when he is not watching. It's also an interesting point about what method of signing they use as opposed to what my child is learning in school. I am starting to think that ASL is probably the best language to start with and then use ASL to teach the kids literacy.

That's an interesting point. I have seen some terps that work with my son that don't even engage him. You know, just signing to the clouds and looking around, flipping their hair. Signing when he is not watching. It's also an interesting point about what method of signing they use as opposed to what my child is learning in school. I am starting to think that ASL is probably the best language to start with and then use ASL to teach the kids literacy.

That's the road I took with my own son. Of course, everyone has to decide for themselves. I only know that it worked with him. He is currently a sophomore at a major university and maintains a 3.4 GPA. That spells sucess to me!

That's the road I took with my own son. Of course, everyone has to decide for themselves. I only know that it worked with him. He is currently a sophomore at a major university and maintains a 3.4 GPA. That spells sucess to me!

I agree with you.....ASL is best.. more sense and natural...
SxyPorkie

Good to hear from you SxyPorkie!! I was wondering where you had been!:D
Thanks... i had been surfing on some websites and also had problems with my computer.. worked on it...i think it is fine now...
SxyPorkie

Rockdrummer..... I was born HOH but my parents were deaf... so ASL is my first langauge before I learned to speak.... I had learned about SEE I fell asleep from boredom.... ASL with facial expersions is BEST...
SxyPorkie

Back