ASL in public schools??

Interesting...

Hearing coming half way? Only handful has came half way while rest of them expect us to be "perfect" as oralism, ability to hear, speeches... When we are already perfect as way we are.

Hearing people need to learn to accept and learn the language. Willing to go extra mile to learn. It another new unexplored world for the Hearing to explore of ASL. It rocks their world if they once learned.

My own quote, "ASL is music to our eyes".

A cost? How much?

I heard it was 50 dollars. It falls on a Tuesday night which is a class night for me so I can't go. I hate that. We have a Deaf night at Boarders book store, and that is way cool.

I guess I was not very clear in my first posting. I was trying to keep it short. But I was really thinking about the lower grades. High schools already have ASL as a FOREIGN language. (AMERICAN sign language is foreign?) Anyway, if little kids started to learn it along with english, by the time they got to the higher grades, they would have a basic vocabulary at least to be able to communicte with the mainstreamed Deaf kids.???? I was hoping that it would also irradicate some of the misconceptions about Deaf people and break down some barriers if little kids were exposed to it in the lower grades. I wish I would have been. :)

Interesting...

Hearing coming half way? Only handful has came half way while rest of them expect us to be "perfect" as oralism, ability to hear, speeches... When we are already perfect as way we are.

Hearing people need to learn to accept and learn the language. Willing to go extra mile to learn. It another new unexplored world for the Hearing to explore of ASL. It rocks their world if they once learned.

My own quote, "ASL is music to our eyes".

That is a most beautiful quote.. I sometimes call ASL like a beautiful painting made on a canvas of air. :) So, how can we reach the hearing world and get them to come half way if they are stuck in ignorance that was handed down through the generations? They are not all bad, but stupid. If they had been taught ASL in preschool etc. it would have been natural to accept Deaf people. There would have communication. There would have been sharing of talents and ideas and LOVE> I am so convinced that it is probably a Deaf child that is holding the keys to the cures for AIDS and cancer in their minds, but they will need to cooperate and communicate with hearies to be able to see their full potential. If hearies came half way, wouldn't that be beautiful? It may not be possible in this generation, but if it had seeds planted now, maybe the next generation would reap the fruit of a non biased and loving communication. Isolation is not a necessary evil!!!

ASL should not be forced on people who don't want to take it, since we've seen what kind of negative behaviors and attitudes (cheating, etc.) take place in ASL classrooms with students who don't really want to learn the language.
:bowdown:

Some general thoughts about ASL... If it is to be offered in a high school setting, offer it as an elective. I can't see ASL being offered as a class in primary settings (i.e., elementary schools) because most states have standardized curriculums and testing in place, and adding in a foreign language to the mix may be too much to ask.

My suggestion is to 'target' a center school in your area. What I mean is that there is usually a feeder high school that accepts a concentrated area of DHH students and provides interpreting services. There, the attitudes towards ASL is much healthier, and you may find a receptive audience in pitching an ASL class. Pitch it as a 'vocational' class, or better, as an elective class, where ASL is treated as a path onto a rewarding career in the Deaf field.

Oddly enough, the center school in my area used to have an ASL class for several years, before the administrators closed it down. I don't have the specifics, though. It looks the the trend is towards less ASL classes, not more, for my area. YMMV for other areas in the country...

:bowdown:

Some general thoughts about ASL... If it is to be offered in a high school setting, offer it as an elective. I can't see ASL being offered as a class in primary settings (i.e., elementary schools) because most states have standardized curriculums and testing in place, and adding in a foreign language to the mix may be too much to ask.

My suggestion is to 'target' a center school in your area. What I mean is that there is usually a feeder high school that accepts a concentrated area of DHH students and provides interpreting services. There, the attitudes towards ASL is much healthier, and you may find a receptive audience in pitching an ASL class. Pitch it as a 'vocational' class, or better, as an elective class, where ASL is treated as a path onto a rewarding career in the Deaf field.

Oddly enough, the center school in my area used to have an ASL class for several years, before the administrators closed it down. I don't have the specifics, though. It looks the the trend is towards less ASL classes, not more, for my area. YMMV for other areas in the country...

Thanks, I will check it out. I guess that is what my point was,,,, ASL could become an endangered species again if it isn't growing. I don't know if I understand why you say that ASL couldn't start in the lower grades. Not sure I understand what you are saying. I do realize that the curriculum is heavy with the no child left behind thing, but what if it were taught right along with english? Would that work? To teach a sign, like a color or some simple sign, and as you are teaching it in English, show the sign too? I really don't know how to accomplish any of this,, but I can't help but to chase the dream of a better tomorrow for everybody. Peace and happiness in grounded in good commuication and respect for all cultures. People are all people and we need each other. What is YMMV? Thanks for sharing your knowledge. :)

I heard it was 50 dollars. It falls on a Tuesday night which is a class night for me so I can't go. I hate that. We have a Deaf night at Boarders book store, and that is way cool.

I guess I was not very clear in my first posting. I was trying to keep it short. But I was really thinking about the lower grades. High schools already have ASL as a FOREIGN language. (AMERICAN sign language is foreign?) Anyway, if little kids started to learn it along with english, by the time they got to the higher grades, they would have a basic vocabulary at least to be able to communicte with the mainstreamed Deaf kids.???? I was hoping that it would also irradicate some of the misconceptions about Deaf people and break down some barriers if little kids were exposed to it in the lower grades. I wish I would have been. :)

Well it is considered foreign in the sense that it is a different language than that spoken by the majority. It is not different in just mode, but in syntax, vocabulary, and structure. It is different than the native tongue of the students, therefore, it satisfies the state curriculum requirements for "foreign" language. Foreign in this sense simply means unfamiliar.

Well it is considered foreign in the sense that it is a different language than that spoken by the majority.

There is also a requirement that a foreign language have an associated culture. Some schools don't recognize that this is the case, unfortunately.

dreamchaser, I don't disagree with your overall viewpoint at all. ASL should absolutely be more widely known and recognized. Personally I don't see its extinction happening anytime soon but I know many people feel otherwise.

There is also a requirement that a foreign language have an associated culture. Some schools don't recognize that this is the case, unfortunately.

dreamchaser, I don't disagree with your overall viewpoint at all. ASL should absolutely be more widely known and recognized. Personally I don't see its extinction happening anytime soon but I know many people feel otherwise.

Thanks for your view point. That is why I am asking. I knew when I was first considering this that I would have to do a lot of research before actually proposing something to our local school board. I guess that is what I am doing now. I don't want to start something that would be stepping on any toes or that would lessen the mission. I don't see ASL as becoming extinct soon, it has survived through the greatest of onsloughts. I do fear that our Deaf schools are in danger. Maybe not this year or next, but ya know, it wasn't that long ago that I never envisioned America attacking a country and sanctioning torture and trashing out constitution. I just want ASL to continue to be the living language that it is, always growing. I do believe that ASL can be beneficial to many people that suffer from speech impediment or autisims etc. But, if a mojority of people don't learn it, there will still be a wall between people due to lack of communication. If you come up with any good ideas, maybe you would be kind enough to run then by me. I realize that I mis-stated my question when I started this thread. What I was really posing was to put ASL in the lower grades so it would be natural for the kids to learn, just like Deaf kids learn it at home. My hearing grandchildren know lots of basic signs and they love it. But most importantly, they don't percieve Deafness as a bad thing, and they surely don't feel superior to Deaf kids. I think they feel right at home being in the home of a Deaf child as a playmate. Kids are funny that way. They aren't born with prejudism, it is a learned behavior. I was hoping that, if ASL was taught at a young age to every child, then prejudism would not have a chance to take hold in the hearts of the kids, and they would all get along if they could communicate. I know it would take a few generations for everyone to become fluent in signing, but wouldn't it be wonderful if they had a chance? I guess that is why they call me dreamchaser,, cuz I am still chasing the dream for a better tomorrow, where oppression and prejudice don't exist. A dream of sharing of hearts and mind through honest communication. Our kids are the future, and God knows this last generation has left them a mess to deal with. It will take a joint effort of all the children, Deaf, hearing, people of color and of other cultures etc, to fix what we have messed up. Before I leave this world that I know, and enter a journey to the beyond, I want to be sure to leave behind me the tools they will need. The most important of those tools being: self acceptance, acceptance of others and communication. All of those things are needed to go forward to create a world where every one can live, love, learn, laugh, cry, and dream with equality, without that, how can our future generations ever reach their full potential? So much of that is based in communication where no one gets left out. I pray that I will see the day that the seeds get planted and start to sprout.

You are absolutley correct. Thanks for adding that.

Givent hat ASL is currently the 3rd most popular taught language on college campuses (from the last poll taken in 2006), I agree. No chance of it disappearing any time soon.

Thanks for your view point. That is why I am asking. I knew when I was first considering this that I would have to do a lot of research before actually proposing something to our local school board. I guess that is what I am doing now. I don't want to start something that would be stepping on any toes or that would lessen the mission. I don't see ASL as becoming extinct soon, it has survived through the greatest of onsloughts. I do fear that our Deaf schools are in danger. Maybe not this year or next, but ya know, it wasn't that long ago that I never envisioned America attacking a country and sanctioning torture and trashing out constitution. I just want ASL to continue to be the living language that it is, always growing. I do believe that ASL can be beneficial to many people that suffer from speech impediment or autisims etc. But, if a mojority of people don't learn it, there will still be a wall between people due to lack of communication. If you come up with any good ideas, maybe you would be kind enough to run then by me. I realize that I mis-stated my question when I started this thread. What I was really posing was to put ASL in the lower grades so it would be natural for the kids to learn, just like Deaf kids learn it at home. My hearing grandchildren know lots of basic signs and they love it. But most importantly, they don't percieve Deafness as a bad thing, and they surely don't feel superior to Deaf kids. I think they feel right at home being in the home of a Deaf child as a playmate. Kids are funny that way. They aren't born with prejudism, it is a learned behavior. I was hoping that, if ASL was taught at a young age to every child, then prejudism would not have a chance to take hold in the hearts of the kids, and they would all get along if they could communicate. I know it would take a few generations for everyone to become fluent in signing, but wouldn't it be wonderful if they had a chance? I guess that is why they call me dreamchaser,, cuz I am still chasing the dream for a better tomorrow, where oppression and prejudice don't exist. A dream of sharing of hearts and mind through honest communication. Our kids are the future, and God knows this last generation has left them a mess to deal with. It will take a joint effort of all the children, Deaf, hearing, people of color and of other cultures etc, to fix what we have messed up. Before I leave this world that I know, and enter a journey to the beyond, I want to be sure to leave behind me the tools they will need. The most important of those tools being: self acceptance, acceptance of others and communication. All of those things are needed to go forward to create a world where every one can live, love, learn, laugh, cry, and dream with equality, without that, how can our future generations ever reach their full potential? So much of that is based in communication where no one gets left out. I pray that I will see the day that the seeds get planted and start to sprout.

Here's an idea. How about approaching your local libraries about including an ASL storytelling session once or twice a month? Ot the college you are attending about doing ASL reader's theater or poetry readings as a cultural bridge event? There is grant money available to fund such ventures under diversity and cultural contact headings. Putting the language into a persormance format also has the added advantage of reaching hearing people who otherwise would not be exposed through registration in a class. Often, after seeing the beauty of the language at such an event, the hearing population is provided with not only a new perspective, but a newfound respect for and interest in the language of signs.

Just a thought.

Here's an idea. How about approaching your local libraries about including an ASL storytelling session once or twice a month? Ot the college you are attending about doing ASL reader's theater or poetry readings as a cultural bridge event? There is grant money available to fund such ventures under diversity and cultural contact headings. Putting the language into a persormance format also has the added advantage of reaching hearing people who otherwise would not be exposed through registration in a class. Often, after seeing the beauty of the language at such an event, the hearing population is provided with not only a new perspective, but a newfound respect for and interest in the language of signs.

Just a thought.

That is a great idea! thanks. :)

Great idea! And maybe approach the theatre department about having interpreted performances of their productions.

I was thinking that seniors and Codas could help. Like I said, once it was proven that the kids could learn it fairly easily, (age appropriate) then it could be adopted as a regular curriculum. I am just trying to think of something that would work that would infiltrate the system. America needs a visual language for a seond language instead of a foreign language. But if administrators think it will cost a lot to do it, they never will. Do you have any suggestions of how to get ASL into our public schools that I can try to promote here in Oregon? It has to start somewhere, and it is so needed, especially since there are so many children being mainstreamed? I don't mean to sound ignorant, but I really can't think of a way to do this. Do you think it would be a good thing to have ASL as a national, secondary language? I really want to know what everyone thinks.

I am a CODA and I do help. Just not for free. I do not believe that ANY teacher should volunteer their valuable time and expertise for zero reimbursement.

The school I work for contacted me and asked me to create a curriculum and adopt a program in the school that would offer ASL as a foreign language. You can check their website out here.

They consider it a foreign language and offer their hearing high school students the option of choosing it instead of Spanish and French. I am so happy to be working there and educating young hearing adults about Deaf culture and the beauty of my mother's language.

I have another website Creative Hands - American Sign Language Resource so you can see what else I do to try and promote what you are talking about.

Great idea! And maybe approach the theatre department about having interpreted performances of their productions.

OMG! This is great. I so thank you for your suggestions. That theater idea rocks, and maybe it could be done in the main student hangout area which is used for lots of musical events and such... Lots of people can just meander through and they get exposed to whatever is going on on stage. Exposure is the main idea. Let people see the beauty. Thanks so much!

I am a CODA and I do help. Just not for free. I do not believe that ANY teacher should volunteer their valuable time and expertise for zero reimbursement.

The school I work for contacted me and asked me to create a curriculum and adopt a program in the school that would offer ASL as a foreign language. You can check their website out here.

They consider it a foreign language and offer their hearing high school students the option of choosing it instead of Spanish and French. I am so happy to be working there and educating young hearing adults about Deaf culture and the beauty of my mother's language.

I have another website Creative Hands - American Sign Language Resource so you can see what else I do to try and promote what you are talking about.

Wow. I so wish I would have taken more time to write my original post. It has gotten so misunderstood because I said it all wrong.

Originally, I was doing a writing class assignment. The assignment was to write a proposal to better your community, state or world. We had to look at the obstacles to our proposed improvements and address those issues.

I use all of my writings as an excuse to inform my classmates and teachers of Deaf issues. We do peer reviews on all assignments, and I am pleased that most of my classmates are getting very interested in Deaf issues. They had no clue that they were ignorant about Deafness, because heries are going to stay ignorant until somebody informs them.

Anyway... My proposal was this. I wanted to introduce ASL into the preschools and lower grades. I wanted to use a few experimental schools for about a year, so we could gather data about any problems and successes. If ASL was catching on, and the little kids were able to learn it easily, then it could start to expand to other schools. But first, I had to find a way to gather the data about how successful it was going to be, and that little kids could indeed learn it without interfering with their English skills. So, the first obstacle I saw, was that the school board is not going to give up any money unless they just have to.

So, I proposed that maybe the research data could be obtained by starting a volunteer based program for one year. I was thinking that Deaf people love ASL, and they want to promote it, so they might be willing to volunteer a short time a month to help. I didn't think it would be too difficult to teach youngsters basic signs, right along with english vocabulary... like toilet, mom, dad, dog etc. Would it be that hard to teach the word and sign for red at the same time? Anyway, if the experiment were successful, then I assumed that if the program were expanded, these volunteers could then get paid for their time and expertiese. I was thinking that it would be a good way for senior signers to supplement their income, and maybe Codas too, or maybe ASL students and terps could help. I was in no way suggesting that Deaf people should work for free... hell no. I was suggesting that the experimental part could be done through volunteers so the school couldn't object on the grounds of money.

Now, please bear with me. My main objective in this is this.... I may be totally wrong, because I have not yet had to make a school choice for my granddaughter and I don't know that much about mainstream education on a first hand basis,, But, that having been said...

*I am worried that too many Deaf children, born to hearing parents are attending mainstream schools, and they are having trouble communicating. I think that they get isolated and depressed in public schools because they stand out as different. Why do they stand out as different? Because hearing kids don't know how to make friends with them if they can't communicate and socialize easily. If little kids of the future were automatically taught to sign in school, then our mainstreamed kids would not be so alone. Maybe the only way to kill prejudism is to kill it from a young age.

I really don't know how to fix the problems of Deaf kids feeling isolated in public schools, and I don't pretend to be an expert on deafness, but damn it I care to try to protect any of these children from being teased or isolated in school where they will be spending much of their time trying to learn to be oral just to please the hearies. I think it is time that hearies recognize that Deaf people are beautiful just as they are, and that it is time to meet them half way by learning their language.

Unfortunately, ASL can be very complicated for an adult to learn, especially after thinking in English for all of your life. The sentence structure is hard to reverse for hearies. They have to work at it. But, little kids, can become bilingual much easier than adults, becasue they pick up vocabular at age appropriate levels. Just like they do English. I was just hoping that maybe we could teach them a visual language as a second language automatically. I realize that in the higher grades, it would require professional instructors to teach the more complicated aspects of ASL, but the basic vocabular and structure could be taught sooner. Maybe I am wrong. I am not a linguist, and that is why I was asking for input. I really don't know how to break down the barrier between the hearing and the Deaf, but I am praying that something can be done. Now that CIs are becoming a trend, there will many more Deaf children mainstreamed, and many of those may never get exposed to ASL or Deaf culture unless we put it into the public school system as a second language, and also, I think that the history of Deaf culture should be included in history class. How else will some of the mainstreamed kids ever come to know of it? How will they ever learn to be just as proud of their deafness as hearies are of their hearingness? That sounded stupid, but I think you understand. If we don't take it to them where they are, they may remain isolated and alone in a world that they can barely communicte in. Please let me know what you think can be done to protect Deaf kids from being isolated in the mainstream realm? I really want to know if there is a solution.

Add that one to the list!

Thanks Jilio, I did. I think that is an exciting way to expose hearies to ASL. I hope there is a way I can orchestrate it. I have lots to look into now, and some avenues that I hadn't even consdered before. I truly thank you all for your imput.

Dreamchaser:

Thank you for the clarification. I see what you are saying. You are absolutely right about childen being able to learn ASL much easier than adults. Their brains are still forming many connections and it's a valuable time to expose them to ASL and Deaf culture. My girls are high school age and they impress me all the time with how they learn so fast.

You have good intentions and I really do hope you can institute a program like what you are describing. The school system would benefit tremendously from a program like that.

Two years ago I was hired by a teacher who worked at a Montessori elementary school. I went there and taught kids who were between 6-9 years old. I taught them basic signs like colors, foods/drinks and a few songs. Also, I volunteer at my daughter's preschool and teach the preschoolers some signs. I just did it a few weeks ago and it was so much fun. Every time they see me, they start signing and it is incredible how much they remember.

I am sorry if that sounded that way. The proposal I was thinking of (and I could be very wrong, that is why I am asking) was to start ASL in preschool, and all the way up on a volunteer basis. Once it was shown to be successful, of course the teachers would be paid. Maybe do an experiment with a couple of schools for a year voluntarily until you could prove it was a success. I was thinking that seniors and Codas could help. Like I said, once it was proven that the kids could learn it fairly easily, (age appropriate) then it could be adopted as a regular curriculum. I am just trying to think of something that would work that would infiltrate the system. America needs a visual language for a seond language instead of a foreign language. But if administrators think it will cost a lot to do it, they never will. Do you have any suggestions of how to get ASL into our public schools that I can try to promote here in Oregon? It has to start somewhere, and it is so needed, especially since there are so many children being mainstreamed? I don't mean to sound ignorant, but I really can't think of a way to do this. Do you think it would be a good thing to have ASL as a national, secondary language? I really want to know what everyone thinks.
I agree that sometimes it takes a grass roots effort to get things off the ground and that in many cases would include volunteer work.

Back