ASL in public schools??

dreamchaser

Reaction score
Why couldn't Deafies volunteer an hour a month to teach ASL to public school students? That way the Education Board could not say that it costs too much. Would you be willing to volunteer an hour a month to promote ASL and try to make it a secondary national language?

Why in the world should Deafies forego a salary for teaching ASL as a second language in high schools when Spanish teachers and French teachers are being paid for the same work? That in and of itself places not just ASL in an inferior position, but the deaf teacher in a devalued position.

If a Deaf individual teaches ASL as a second language to high school students, they are to be paid at the same level as any teacher that performs the same function.

I work in a school district and at our high school, we have three staff ASL instructors. Two are Deaf and one hearing. The classes are packed and popular. Several students have gone into ITPs or became TODs. Our D/hh students are very lucky to have a student population who can communicate with them in their language!! Wish more ASL instructors were out there and more districts willing to recognize ASL as another language to offer.

There's nothing wrong with setting up an ASL club.

A couple students did that at RIT. They set up a weekly program called No Voice Zone where volunteers can show up and teach others who show up to learn. :)

A couple students did that at RIT. They set up a weekly program called No Voice Zone where volunteers can show up and teach others who show up to learn. :)

Great thought. Language teaching is not something that should either be done by an unskilled volunteer in a formal classroom setting (high school or otherwise), nor should it be done for free by a qualified teacher. But a club is a great informal setting where d/Deaf people could come and share their knowledge without concern about pay or teaching credentials. (Of course it would be nice to provide refreshments or possibly a small honorarium for gas money or the like.)

Why in the world should Deafies forego a salary for teaching ASL as a second language in high schools when Spanish teachers and French teachers are being paid for the same work? That in and of itself places not just ASL in an inferior position, but the deaf teacher in a devalued position.

If a Deaf individual teaches ASL as a second language to high school students, they are to be paid at the same level as any teacher that performs the same function.

I am sorry if that sounded that way. The proposal I was thinking of (and I could be very wrong, that is why I am asking) was to start ASL in preschool, and all the way up on a volunteer basis. Once it was shown to be successful, of course the teachers would be paid. Maybe do an experiment with a couple of schools for a year voluntarily until you could prove it was a success. I was thinking that seniors and Codas could help. Like I said, once it was proven that the kids could learn it fairly easily, (age appropriate) then it could be adopted as a regular curriculum. I am just trying to think of something that would work that would infiltrate the system. America needs a visual language for a seond language instead of a foreign language. But if administrators think it will cost a lot to do it, they never will. Do you have any suggestions of how to get ASL into our public schools that I can try to promote here in Oregon? It has to start somewhere, and it is so needed, especially since there are so many children being mainstreamed? I don't mean to sound ignorant, but I really can't think of a way to do this. Do you think it would be a good thing to have ASL as a national, secondary language? I really want to know what everyone thinks.

America needs a visual language for a seond language instead of a foreign language.

I can't agree with this. I absolutely agree that ASL should be available in schools as an option along with spoken foreign languages, but not "instead of." Students should have the option to learn spoken foreign languages if they want; consider the case of children of immigrants who would like to learn their heritage language, or students with a particular interest in a culture who want to learn that language.

ASL should not be forced on people who don't want to take it, since we've seen what kind of negative behaviors and attitudes (cheating, etc.) take place in ASL classrooms with students who don't really want to learn the language.

I am sorry if that sounded that way. The proposal I was thinking of (and I could be very wrong, that is why I am asking) was to start ASL in preschool, and all the way up on a volunteer basis. Once it was shown to be successful, of course the teachers would be paid. Maybe do an experiment with a couple of schools for a year voluntarily until you could prove it was a success. I was thinking that seniors and Codas could help. Like I said, once it was proven that the kids could learn it fairly easily, (age appropriate) then it could be adopted as a regular curriculum. I am just trying to think of something that would work that would infiltrate the system. America needs a visual language for a seond language instead of a foreign language. But if administrators think it will cost a lot to do it, they never will. Do you have any suggestions of how to get ASL into our public schools that I can try to promote here in Oregon? It has to start somewhere, and it is so needed, especially since there are so many children being mainstreamed? I don't mean to sound ignorant, but I really can't think of a way to do this. Do you think it would be a good thing to have ASL as a national, secondary language? I really want to know what everyone thinks.

I don't know what area you live in, but in my area it has already been shown to be successful. Thew public school lecated a few miles from my son's Deaf school, for instance, not only taught sign, but arranged extra-curricular activiites between the hearing ASL students and the students at St. Rita.

Agreed. There is an ASL club on my campus as well, and they sponsor several silent activities.

Google up and see if you can find...

Milwaukee Sign Language School (k-8)
Foster and William High school (9-12).

Its in Milwaukee, Wisconsin... They have bibi program there and doing ok so far. Need more strength into their program to be fully bibi. They do have several deaf teachers inolved in classroom as main teacher with hearing students. Also have few ASL teacher on staff to teach sign language directly to hearing students. Have nice size amount of deaf student program there as well.

They are working with bibi concept with K4, k5 kids and hopefully will graduate with full concept of ASL by 12th grade. Its very cool place to teach if you do not mind intercities kids.

By the way... they are working on converting into charter school from Milwaukee Public School. Once they switch over to charter, they will explode to much better progams.

Again... I perfer high-qualified licensed teachers to teach ASL. I dont want us to water down our skills while teaching, it requires a lot energy of our time to invest our knowledge and skills into Hearing community. May we sow and reap plentiful afterward.

I can't agree with this. I absolutely agree that ASL should be available in schools as an option along with spoken foreign languages, but not "instead of." Students should have the option to learn spoken foreign languages if they want; consider the case of children of immigrants who would like to learn their heritage language, or students with a particular interest in a culture who want to learn that language.

ASL should not be forced on people who don't want to take it, since we've seen what kind of negative behaviors and attitudes (cheating, etc.) take place in ASL classrooms with students who don't really want to learn the language.

Wow, great input. Didn't think of it that way. I only know that many people I talk to and myself would like to see our kids learn ASL along with english as a counterpart. I was never advocating doing away with foreign languages. Not at all. Most other countries automatically teach their kids multiple languages all through school.

I guess what I am feeling is that ASL can help so many people. Autistic children and people who are speech impaired can benefit from ASL or some form of it. I just think that communication is so important, and I hate to think of any person feeling isolated because of a lack of english skills. I don't know what to do with that feeling. I was just looking for some sort of solution that would help tear down some of the walls between people. Everyone needs to express themselves and be heard by someone. That is what makes life worth living. Maybe I shouldn't care so much, or maybe I should just realize that I am not the one that is able to come up with a solution. I only know that it hurts my heart to see anyone feel lonely because they aren't heard. I just thought that having a national, secondary visual language would be one step to inclusiveness. Sorry if I offended you. I truly am.

I don't know what area you live in, but in my area it has already been shown to be successful. Thew public school lecated a few miles from my son's Deaf school, for instance, not only taught sign, but arranged extra-curricular activiites between the hearing ASL students and the students at St. Rita.

I live in Oregon. Our Deaf school has an open ASL class one night a week when they can. It is not always easy for people to attend and there is a cost. But it would be cool to try a club or something of that sort. I guess I took it for granted that little kids would learn basic sign fairly easily as a beginning, just like parents can teach baby sign. I was not thinking of an informal teacher for the older age groups when the vocabulary and grammar, syntax etc are more complicated. I was just wishing that all little kids could have the advantage of, or at least the taste of ASL. My mistake. I will look into the extracuricullar activities in our schools. I do know that my son's high school does not have any free type clubs for fellowshipping etc. I guess it was stupid idea. So, thanks for the input. I can quit worrying about it now. :)

another thought

Here's another thought...

If a person is really motivated to learn ASL... they will need to marry the language to excel and become fluent in ASL. As deaf individual, we fell love and married to ASL. We learned all kinds of structures that is not covered in the classroom.

The fastest way to learn is to "marry" the language as attending any deaf social events and have a deaf friend to social with.

Otherwise... its a waste of time to open a club or weekly classes where they will be limited to book information. Life experinces is best way to learn...

Google up and see if you can find...

Milwaukee Sign Language School (k-8)
Foster and William High school (9-12).

Its in Milwaukee, Wisconsin... They have bibi program there and doing ok so far. Need more strength into their program to be fully bibi. They do have several deaf teachers inolved in classroom as main teacher with hearing students. Also have few ASL teacher on staff to teach sign language directly to hearing students. Have nice size amount of deaf student program there as well.

They are working with bibi concept with K4, k5 kids and hopefully will graduate with full concept of ASL by 12th grade. Its very cool place to teach if you do not mind intercities kids.

By the way... they are working on converting into charter school from Milwaukee Public School. Once they switch over to charter, they will explode to much better progams.

Again... I perfer high-qualified licensed teachers to teach ASL. I dont want us to water down our skills while teaching, it requires a lot energy of our time to invest our knowledge and skills into Hearing community. May we sow and reap plentiful afterward.

I totally agree about watering down the skills. I guess I thought that most native signers would teach good ASL, and only Deaf signers or Codas would be allowed. Heck,,, I don't know what I thought. I just wish that everyone could sign so nobody ever gets left out because of a hearing loss or speech problem.. I am glad that I asked though, because there was much to consider and I was looking for input to widen my perspective. Thanks so much for your reply. :)

Great thought. Language teaching is not something that should either be done by an unskilled volunteer in a formal classroom setting (high school or otherwise), nor should it be done for free by a qualified teacher. But a club is a great informal setting where d/Deaf people could come and share their knowledge without concern about pay or teaching credentials. (Of course it would be nice to provide refreshments or possibly a small honorarium for gas money or the like.)
Right.

Sometimes, people aren't sure about whether they want to learn it or not. Providing it as a class leaves them with 2 choices... to forget about it completely or to be forced to learn it without backing out.

By offering it as optional, it gives people a chance to get a taste of it and decide if they want to go further in a serious manner.

With a club or a program like that, people can come to learn sign language. If they realize that they actually enjoy it and want to go further by taking it as a class, then they can take the class the next semester.

I live in Oregon. Our Deaf school has an open ASL class one night a week when they can. It is not always easy for people to attend and there is a cost. But it would be cool to try a club or something of that sort. I guess I took it for granted that little kids would learn basic sign fairly easily as a beginning, just like parents can teach baby sign. I was not thinking of an informal teacher for the older age groups when the vocabulary and grammar, syntax etc are more complicated. I was just wishing that all little kids could have the advantage of, or at least the taste of ASL. My mistake. I will look into the extracuricullar activities in our schools. I do know that my son's high school does not have any free type clubs for fellowshipping etc. I guess it was stupid idea. So, thanks for the input. I can quit worrying about it now. :)
A cost? How much?

If a person is really motivated to learn ASL... they will need to marry the language to excel and become fluent in ASL. As deaf individual, we fell love and married to ASL. We learned all kinds of structures that is not covered in the classroom.

The fastest way to learn is to "marry" the language as attending any deaf social events and have a deaf friend to social with.

Otherwise... its a waste of time to open a club or weekly classes where they will be limited to book information. Life experinces is best way to learn...
Who says you have to "marry" ASL to excel in it?

Interpreters aren't "married" to ASL. They took class and became skilled because they put their learnings to good use. Yet, they don't follow ASL or Deaf Culture in their daily activities all the time.

I've seen interpreters who sign better ASL than those who claim to be strongly involved in Deaf Culture.

I totally agree. You have to love ASL, but the way you do that as a hearing person is to fall in love with your Deaf friends or family. Unfotunately, so many people don't ever even meet a Deaf person because they are afraid they don't know how to commuicate. Some hearies are shy and afraid to offend, and some just don't really give a !@#$ about anything but themselves. You wouldn't want to know them anyway.

I remember that I cried when I started reading about Deaf culture. I got every book I could, and I was so pissed off when I read about ASL being taken away from the children in their own schools. Now, I look around me and I see Deaf schools struggling to survive. They teach more pigeon than ASL, and hearing people don't even know that it is happening. They are thinking everything is just fine, because it never hits the news.

Last summer, the administrators in Oregon tried to merge the Deaf and Blind school because the Blind school is sitting on a prime piece of property. It was all a money thing. Both communities - the Deaf and the Blind - were against it. We rallied and petitioned and we handed out flyers and raised a stink. The sale was postponed. But, as I was talking to people and trying to get them involved, I found out that they had no clue that it was happening. They were shocked. The newspaper had a few small articles, but the news didn't carry it. I guess I am afraid that if the school here gets shut down over funding, all of the kids will be in public schools and they will not be able to communicate. I just wish that all kids could know both sign and english. Hearing and Deaf alike. If the hearing community expects Deaf people to learn to speech read and be oral or to be fluent in writen English, then why can't they meet half way and learn sign?

Back