ASL in public schools??

I notice my ASL teacher sign leave like carry. I told her it was wrong. Students in that class wanted me to teach them. They didn't learn much from my ASL teacher.

Hi:) Ya know, I think that this country would only benefit from a visual and a spoken communication system,, BUT I am a hearing grandma, with a deaf grandchild, and I just don't fit in this conversation.... Maybe, one day,, there will be a credible person that comes to AD and can rally people to put ASL into the schools,,,,,,, even if they have to volunteer their time at first to get it started

Hearies can only do so much.... But, I believe with all of my heart, that if Deaf folks don't start standing up for the new generation of kids coming through the system, then they will repeat the history of the AGBELLL hope to anihalate the Deaf community... Maybe not this year,,, but dang,, We are headed towards Hitlerism with our politics, and he killed everything he didn't like... I am sorry,, maybe I am crazy,,, but ya know, History will repeat itself if people just sit on their freeeeeeeking hands and cruz the net for fun.. but won't get involved in real discussions........ Please forgive me if that sounds offensive, but.............. think about it????????????? Did you ever believe that one president coiuld kill our privacy rights, and invade a country and kill nearly a million innocent people?? If they can do that,, then who is safe????????????????

So many truths in this post.

This should be bi-lingual country.

Then, there would not be separate deaf and hearing culture but one american culture. This would be good for especially children deaf of hearing parents and hearing children of deaf parents.
Just playing devils advocate here but couldn't that same argument be applied to all of the other language sub-cultures that exist in this country. And if there were English speaking Americans in other countries would it be appropriate to suggest the other countries become bi-lingual to suit the needs of the minority?

Like I said, I was not insinuating that things like the purpose of the study, or the stated results could not be understood. But there is more to interpreting the actual study than those two sections, and it's validity and generalizability, as well as limitations and strengths are dependent upon a foudational understanding of research methods, design, sample selection, instruments used for assessment, statistical analysis, etc. I apologize if I offended. I know, from personal experience, that there were many things I did not know to take into consideration until I gained that knowledge. It is not to insinuate that anyone is incapable of understanding, just that misunderstanding occurs from lack of critical analysis because one has not had the opportunity to learn how to critically evaluate the research.

Yes, my child was my motivation. That, and the fact that there were so many out there who were going without needed services and opportunities to develop to their whole potential because parents either did not have the time,the stamina, or the resources to fight the same fight I did.
I can't speak for everyone but for me, not understanding something motivates me to learn. It also seems to me that if these studies are credible, from reliable sources and there is empericale proof to back them up, one might use them as a resourse at an IEP to help invoke changes in the system or at least to their childs educational program.

You realize I mean that everyone should learn a sign language, right?

Also, it would not be a sudden change. It would allow for change, though, given that people do wish to keep their families together.

You do understand the meaning of bilingual/bicultural? Correct?

Your reasoning is faulty. Bilingualism not not result in uniculturalism.

I can't speak for everyone but for me, not understanding something motivates me to learn. It also seems to me that if these studies are credible, from reliable sources and there is empericale proof to back them up, one might use them as a resourse at an IEP to help invoke changes in the system or at least to their childs educational program.

Absolutely they can be used at an IEP to support services requested. Provided that one has enough understanding not just to present the studies, but to properly apply them in their child's situation, and to bring in cross dicipline reasoning when faced with the objections that will be brought up by others.

Just playing devils advocate here but couldn't that same argument be applied to all of the other language sub-cultures that exist in this country. And if there were English speaking Americans in other countries would it be appropriate to suggest the other countries become bi-lingual to suit the needs of the minority?

It is common practice in other countries to learn at least three languages. Why not a visual one too? Visual language can help lots of other people than just the deaf. Look at the progress with autistic people, and stroke victims and Down Syndrome sufferers, and the ways that apraxic and asphasic people can benefit from it is amazing. Why not let everyone learn a visual language to communicate with every one possible.

By the way, Hitler was all about destroying anything that was substandard. He wanted to create the perfect race. No one is safe. If the world falls into famine from global warming, some jerk will come along and try to eliminate as many people as they can. These neo con type people have hitler roots,, Like did you know that Bushes grandfather, Preston Bush was the head of the Nazi party in America? It is true,, Google it. The John Birch Society was born from Nazi theory. WE WILL REPEAT HISTORY IF WE DON"T LEARN FROM IT> What about the council of Milan in 1880? There is only one way to be sure to keep that crap from happening again.; Stay connected to each other, and stay on Top of issues as they come up. An uneducated and voiceless deaf community will never have the power to protect itself.

This is the kind of research that needs to be documented to bring to the politicians. SO, get on it. :)

True. No matter how much the "educators" deny it, they are "teaching to the test." I think you know what I mean.

Hardly anything they learn one year is remembered the next year, much less used in adult life. What a waste.

Rheba, YOU are SO RIGHT!!! But when are we going to try to change it? If we don't organize now, during this election year, we may never have a better opportunity for attention.

Did you read the thread I posted about contacting the candidates?

"IF you want hearies to hear you get involved" Go there and see if you would agree. It is under Deaf culture I think.

This is the kind of research that needs to be documented to bring to the politicians. SO, get on it. :)
You are killin me dc. :lol: I have nowhere near the knowledge and expertise required to push such an effort. Those that are educators, deaf elders and people with real experience and that understand the issues both pro and con should be the ones getting on it. They should be the ones paving the way. Us hearing parents of deaf kids that have never experienced this are more like deer caught in the headlights what with all of the controversy and different beliefs and methods.

One thing that I do believe is that nobody should just trust what someone says. If there are'nt any studies to back up the claims, then to me it's just pie in the sky.

You are killin me dc. :lol: I have nowhere near the knowledge and expertise required to push such an effort. Those that are educators, deaf elders and people with real experience and that understand the issues both pro and con should be the ones getting on it. They should be the ones paving the way. Us hearing parents of deaf kids that have never experienced this are more like deer caught in the headlights what with all of the controversy and different beliefs and methods.

One thing that I do believe is that nobody should just trust what someone says. If there are'nt any studies to back up the claims, then to me it's just pie in the sky.

How do you personally feel about your own child's education? Is it going well? What are the obstacles you face? You probably represent lots of other parents. The fact that you can hear gives you easier access to things that can be needed to form a basis for an argument. Who do you know that is in your shoes? Would they let you take down their stories. You can do a poll, or survey or something. We can gather up as many stories as possible, and then we can try to address the most common problems. And, BTW you are very articulate and intelligent. You also understnd the value of citations and credibility. I think you would be good at assimilating information from real people.

After all, isn't that what we are trying to do; Make things right for REAL people with real probelms? If you chew on the idea, you can at least write a paragraph about the needs of your own child.

Hey there Shel, I have a feeling you are one of the best. I really mean that.

Oh, BTW, I posted those addresses for the candidates in a new thread,, called: IF you want hearies to hear you, get involved, sorry it took me so long to get it done.

I have already written some email to the candidates, and I called my state Rep, Darlene Hooley this morning. :)

Ok I will check it out. Thanks!

One of the best? I dont know about that ..all I just want our deaf students to get equal access as the hearing kids do. I just do it for the students not for myself nor try to be the "best" so I can win some awards. I dont need recognization..getting my students to develop literacy skills so they can get good jobs and live a productive, happy lives as adults is my reward.

Thanks for the compliment. :)

The difference is that hearing people have full access to the primary language being spoken in the other countries so they can learn it by from being immersed in it while deaf children/adults dont hence the need for a visual language for them. I am fluent in English but out there around hearing people, I dont have full access to the primary language no matter how hard I try to "hear" or lipread. It is impossible for me.

It is common practice in other countries to learn at least three languages. Why not a visual one too? Visual language can help lots of other people than just the deaf. Look at the progress with autistic people, and stroke victims and Down Syndrome sufferers, and the ways that apraxic and asphasic people can benefit from it is amazing. Why not let everyone learn a visual language to communicate with every one possible.

By the way, Hitler was all about destroying anything that was substandard. He wanted to create the perfect race. No one is safe. If the world falls into famine from global warming, some jerk will come along and try to eliminate as many people as they can. These neo con type people have hitler roots,, Like did you know that Bushes grandfather, Preston Bush was the head of the Nazi party in America? It is true,, Google it. The John Birch Society was born from Nazi theory. WE WILL REPEAT HISTORY IF WE DON"T LEARN FROM IT> What about the council of Milan in 1880? There is only one way to be sure to keep that crap from happening again.; Stay connected to each other, and stay on Top of issues as they come up. An uneducated and voiceless deaf community will never have the power to protect itself.

:gpost: :gpost: :gpost:

How do you personally feel about your own child's education? Is it going well? What are the obstacles you face? You probably represent lots of other parents. The fact that you can hear gives you easier access to things that can be needed to form a basis for an argument. Who do you know that is in your shoes? Would they let you take down their stories. You can do a poll, or survey or something. We can gather up as many stories as possible, and then we can try to address the most common problems. And, BTW you are very articulate and intelligent. You also understnd the value of citations and credibility. I think you would be good at assimilating information from real people.

After all, isn't that what we are trying to do; Make things right for REAL people with real probelms? If you chew on the idea, you can at least write a paragraph about the needs of your own child.

We need more hearing parents of deaf children involved because too often, it seems that the public dont have trust in the educators and researchers when it comes to different educational methologies. It seems like most of the trust is placed with the medical community.

I agree. That's how it usually is for me. :)

I've had to deal with this when I was tutoring some students at NTID. They come to me for help. I try to help them. They don't understand. They give up and walk off. Then they blame me and the teacher for making it too hard. :(

Very few of them actually ask me questions about why some things are the way they are and they take the time to learn it. Funny thing is, they will sometimes show off what they learned to their buddies. ;)

We need more hearing parents of deaf children involved because too often, it seems that the public dont have trust in the educators and researchers when it comes to different educational methologies. It seems like most of the trust is placed with the medical community.

IF you give these candidates addresses to the parents of kids, maybe they will write them too. I know parents must get really frustrated.

Do you prefer the BIBI approach? What do you think we should push for?

Back