ASL in public schools??

IF you give these candidates addresses to the parents of kids, maybe they will write them too. I know parents must get really frustrated.

Do you prefer the BIBI approach? What do you think we should push for?

The push for the BiBi approach especially in early childhood education in addition to making speech programs more available not just those who have CIs.

Then, make it mandatory for parents to learn sign language if their baby has been identified with a hearing loss but I think that would go against the US Consititution.

Make it mandatory that the public, especially employers, get educated about deaf/hoh people who have little or no speech skills, have CIs, have additional needs, and so forth especially about our capabilities and how to meet our communication needs.

The push for the BiBi approach especially in early childhood education in addition to making speech programs more available not just those who have CIs.

Then, make it mandatory for parents to learn sign language if their baby has been identified with a hearing loss but I think that would go against the US Consititution.

Make it mandatory that the public, especially employers, get educated about deaf/hoh people who have little or no speech skills, have CIs, have additional needs, and so forth especially about our capabilities and how to meet our communication needs.

Good stuff. Are there any laws to protect your job from going to a CI user? Maybe one could be constructed. Do we know anyone who understands constitutional law? It would be good to have a consultant on your side that knows laws, how they are written, and most of all, if they are constitutional. :)

Good stuff. Are there any laws to protect your job from going to a CI user? Maybe one could be constructed. Do we know anyone who understands constitutional law? It would be good to have a consultant on your side that knows laws, how they are written, and most of all, if they are constitutional. :)

Yea, that's my concern..that the public's view on CIs is that it is a cure or enables all deaf people to be able to hear/speak without any accodomations, it will make it harder on those who dont have CIs. The prejudice against those without CIs may just get worse. That's why I think it should be mandatory that the public needs to be educated about all kinds of deaf people and no matter what our mode of communication or what hearing devices we use, look at our capabilities, intelligence, skills, motivation, and work ethic instead of just looking at who can pronounce a sentence perfectly and who cant.

Yea, that's my concern..that the public's view on CIs is that it is a cure or enables all deaf people to be able to hear/speak without any accodomations, it will make it harder on those who dont have CIs. The prejudice against those without CIs may just get worse. That's why I think it should be mandatory that the public needs to be educated about all kinds of deaf people and no matter what our mode of communication or what hearing devices we use, look at our capabilities, intelligence, skills, motivation, and work ethic instead of just looking at who can pronounce a sentence perfectly and who cant.

Why can't there be a law protecting that? Don't wait until it is a reality to do something about it. It will be twice as hard to undo a bad trend than to stop it before it gets out of hand.

Why can't there be a law protecting that? Don't wait until it is a reality to do something about it. It will be twice as hard to undo a bad trend than to stop it before it gets out of hand.

There are. If shel were to loose her job simply because they wanted to hire a CI user, she'd have a winnable lawsuit that would guarantee she'd never have to work a day in her life from that point forward!

Back