Article : vocabulary growth in toddlers

Déjà vu !

I'm surprised that you even undersand the concept of deja vu, since the fact that the revival of oralism (something that has been historically detrimental to the education of young deaf children) is responsible for plummeting literacy rates in mainstreamed oral children across the U.S. Talk about deja vu!

Still don't get it. This article is about hearing children and language acquisition. A child with a CI still has significant issues in language acquisition that hearing children don't have. This article does not apply, and to post it in an assumption that it will be useful to parents considering a CI is an implication that a CI will allow their child to function as hearing. And yet you all want to claim that parents should have correct and comprehensive information prior to making that decision. This is a contradiction of that assertion.

We all already know where you stand, cloggy. And it still hasn't got anything to do with CI. Therefore, it belongs in the sign langauge/oralism forum as it is an essay on language development. I know you have trouble understanding the concept, but language development is quite a separate issue from implantation. To imply that they are the same is a very prejudiced, not to mention incorrect, attitude.

You're wrong.!

Still don't get it. This article is about hearing children and language acquisition. A child with a CI still has significant issues in language acquisition that hearing children don't have. This article does not apply, and to post it in an assumption that it will be useful to parents considering a CI is an implication that a CI will allow their child to function as hearing. And yet you all want to claim that parents should have correct and comprehensive information prior to making that decision. This is a contradiction of that assertion.

Again, you're wrong.
BTW... describe "function as hearing"... my guess is that you have some perfect image about it..

When I say "My daughter is deaf, she can hear.." - I am pretty sure you have a different picture that I have....

Explain to me how my child that can hear with CI is not hearing.....

*sigh* At least SOME people understand the reason for my posting this article.

Some people need to take classes in linguistics and language acquisition cuz there seems to be misunderstandings to what language acquition involves when it involves deaf children..this article is about hearing children who have no hearing loss issues.

Cloggy, yes your child can hear but can she hear and process sounds like a person who is not deaf?

*sigh* At least SOME people understand the reason for my posting this article.

Neecy,

We understand and we also see right through those who argue over the most insignificant points and those who tell us that we need to take classes to understand concepts that we already understand.

Thanks to you and to Boult for posting these very interesting articles.
Rick

Cloggy, yes your child can hear but can she hear and process sounds like a person who is not deaf?

I can't presume to speak for Cloggy - but if somebody stands behind me and speaks to me and I "hear" every word and understand it - isn't that processing what I hear like a hearing person? I would hope the same goes for Lotte.

A good example - when I went for my yearly follow-up with my audie last week, I got 100% comprehension on the sentence recognition test in the sound booth, and 99% on single word recognition

I had a big fat ZERO % before my CI on the same tests.

I can't presume to speak for Cloggy - but if somebody stands behind me and speaks to me and I "hear" every word and understand it - isn't that processing what I hear like a hearing person? I would hope the same goes for Lotte.

A good example - when I went for my yearly follow-up with my audie last week, I got 100% comprehension on the sentence recognition test in the sound booth, and 99% on single word recognition

Iam happy for u..seriously since that is what u wanted. Iam not that mean nor spiteful that I would wish the CIs fail for people. That's not who I am.

Curious...have u worked with children who, for some reason, can't hear like u with their CIs and struggle with picking up on oral language until it was apparent at the age of 4 or 5 that they needed sign language?

Those are the children I work with on a daily basis hence the reason for why I have this view on the oral only approach.

Yes, this article is good but need to add word of caution..that every deaf child is different and we don't know until they are past that age if they r able to pick up on spoken language or not using their CIs. I am not a scientist so I can't explain why that happens but it is still happening.

That's why I believe in doing both to ensure the children don't pass this stage without a language cuz even if introducing signing later, it is harder for them to process conceptual understanding in any language including sign language.

Shouldn't this be in the sign language/ oral forum. Hasn't got anything todo with CI.

Come on Jillo you are just nit-picky. You have never gone off the subject of a thread. And if this is where Needy started this thread and you think it is the wrong place then don't read it. I am sure if one your friends started this thread then it would be OK.

That is wonderful. Good for you.

With ASL, kids can learn even sooner and faster! ;)

Right..why people want to deny deaf children sign language and risk language developments is beyond me.

Come on Jillo you are just nit-picky. You have never gone off the subject of a thread. And if this is where Needy started this thread and you think it is the wrong place then don't read it. I am sure if one your friends started this thread then it would be OK.

Before u joined, the ones who supported CIs always preached to us about spreading correct information and will bash on whoever spreads incorrect information about CIs. So, this article is about hearing children so..CI children are hearing now? Post a study that involves deaf children with CIs and then it would be more appropriate.

Cloggy didn't say that being deprived of language is amusing. What is amusing is that we always know how you will responsed.

Now, u are speaking for Cloggy? Interesting. U complain about us being mean or whatever so what u said wasnt mean? It is ok for u and others to be mean but not us? I see .....

Cloggy didn't say that being deprived of language is amusing. What is amusing is that we always know how you will responsed.

Yea cuz I care about deaf children ...some people only care about their own deaf children but u, as a deaf educator, are held to a different standard.

Some people need to take classes in linguistics and language acquisition cuz there seems to be misunderstandings to what language acquition involves when it involves deaf children..this article is about hearing children who have no hearing loss issues.
And why would it not apply to children that can hear... with HA or CI??

She processes it in the same way.... A sound I make she can repeat. A tone can be reproduced, most of the time..

What do you think? ..

What do you think after reading Neecy's post.... doesn't she process in the same way.. ?? and if not, WHY??

Back