Are you the only or the first deaf person in ur entire family?

Usually... not always. But if you have extremely bad relationship with your parents, you would be hurt too. But most people have good relationship with them.

I did. And they did a lot for me. I also know quite a few others who feel the same.

I think it is probably divided, although I am not sure which would be the majority.

You can have bullies in school and all that, but it usually the family that hurt the most. That's what I mean. This girl been ridiculed by her family. What do you think would hurt the most family or bullies?

You can have bullies in school and all that, but it usually the family that hurt the most. That's what I mean. This girl been ridiculed by her family. What do you think would hurt the most family or bullies?

That is what I did mean. I don't think more people are ridiculed by their families than bullied.

I have far more memories of people outside my family doing something that made me cry or lowered my self esteem.

My family did have good intentions.

I had cousins who treated me like crap. It hurt more than the kids in school Anway, we better get back to the topic

Lots of people are verbally/emotionally abused by family members. People don't usually talk about it because people who had caring families don't really understand (which is a good thing). That's what therapists and support groups are for.

Deaf mothers with hearing children have a lot of verbal abuse behind their backs...Dunno if this has been discussed.....Kids are Kids...but when they become older, and they continue the abuse, it needs to be confronted...(as I did with my 3 hearing boys).....

Back to the topic....my father had hearing problems as a child but I was told "he outgrew them" (??)...I too, had problems and also my Aunt, her daughter birthed a deaf child..so it's in our genes......Not my children, but my great-grandchildren will have a deaf child...(or that's what I've been told by family members)...but I really have no idea.

Deaf mothers with hearing children have a lot of verbal abuse behind their backs...Dunno if this has been discussed.....Kids are Kids...but when they become older, and they continue the abuse, it needs to be confronted...(as I did with my 3 hearing boys).....

Back to the topic....my father had hearing problems as a child but I was told "he outgrew them" (??)...I too, had problems and also my Aunt, her daughter birthed a deaf child..so it's in our genes......Not my children, but my great-grandchildren will have a deaf child...(or that's what I've been told by family members)...but I really have no idea.

More likely your Aunt's child father is a carrier of deaf gene too if it seem like random people in your family have deaf children while others don't. I believe my father is a carrier because there are 5 of us but only two are deaf, the rest are hearing. But my grandma do not have any deaf kids and she have 7 kids. My grandma also have about 22 grandkids (and plenty of great-grandkids) and they all are hearing except my sister and I. My grandma's father and mother must be carriers too because they have 3 deaf kids (my grandma's sisters) .they have other kids but they are hearing .

My older sister who is deaf have 4 kids but they all are hearing. my kid is hearing too. I think if I marry someone who is genetically deaf, I can have deaf kids.

Last edited:
The hearing loss in our family is genetic and it is dominant. It effects successive generations.

First and only person deaf in my family, probably to due to meds but I've been told my parents have a bad gene each and passed onto me which made me deaf but i :dunno:

First and only person deaf in my family, probably to due to meds but I've been told my parents have a bad gene each and passed onto me which made me deaf but i :dunno:

Not if you have an identical sibling and she is hearing.

That's terrible for them to call it "BAD" gene

in our family, we have HOH in each generation, but my daughter is the only one who will be full deaf at a young(ish) age.

My father and grandfather were both EXTREMELY HOH (they were deaf but didn't want to admit it!!!) They both blamed it on working with loud machinery. I rather doubt it considering the rest of the family traits. They continually lost more of their hearing as they aged.

I am about to turn 50 and have been sensing some loss recently. My turn is coming.

My daughter is 29 years old and has been informed that her cochlear nerves are dying. She will eventually be full-deaf.

2 of my son's children (my grandchildren) have had surgery to improve their hearing. Like their dad (my daughter's full brother, but not twin, a year younger) they have fluid in their inner ears that needs to be drained occasionally to keep from eroding their inner ear hairs/cilia. We know when it's time to drain again when they are no longer hearing us.

Given this family trait to lose hearing more as we age, our current family (myself & husband, all children and affected grandchildren) have decided to simply accept that we are a deaf family and learn ASL/sign language. We will teach all future generations to sign and speak together.

Back