Are you the only or the first deaf person in ur entire family?

Steel X

Reaction score
For me, I am the only deaf person in the family BUT I was not the first deaf person. long ago, my great great grandfather was deaf and he was a ship builder during the 1880s and died way before I was born as another deaf relative in the family. so that proably makes me the second well known deaf relative at this moment now.

How about you? are you the only or first deaf relative or are there already other relatives who were deaf before you existed or what?

I am the only deaf person in my family and as far as I know I am the first deaf person in the family.

Im only deaf person in all of my family right now. But I did have three deaf persons in my family, they died already. But I bet more than just three before but Im not sure who. And see what happen in the future maybe I will have more deaf persons in my family.

Yes and No. Let me say this way. On my mom's side of the family, I am the first and only deaf person. On my dad's side of the family, No I am not the only deaf. There are some deaf ppl on that side of my dad. Some died and some are still alive.

So that is my life story. :)

Quite good question..

I wish I could knew more.... about my history background am I first exist deaf person in my birth family ? I will find it out more later on...
Your thread is brilliant idea... discussion!

I am the only one Deaf in all my family are hearing but I was told I have a Deaf relative that lives in Germany.

Yep, I'm the only one. I do have a distant cousin who has a very slight hearing loss.

I am the only one deaf person in the family. :)

I do have a few deaf members in my Family
Therefore, I am NOT the only one...

My twin and I are the only deaf in the entire family.... :mrgreen:

I am only deaf person in my family in same blood. My grandfather who adopted my father, he had two deaf sisters in Lithunia, last time I heard they were alive after communist fell. They must be pretty old by now.

I have a 2nd cousin who has a severe hearing loss since I don't know when, but she was a teacher for the deaf/HOH at an elementary school (she's on disability since she survived cancer, and has epilepsy). She and I both have very bad hearing losses. My grandfather (who died) and my great-aunt has a hearing loss (mild to moderate) from old age, and perhaps in my grandfather's, also from fighting during WWII. The rest of the family are hearing. :)

I am the only deaf person in my family. I don't know about there being any deafness in my family tree since I wasn't deaf due to genetics. I became deaf due to neglect by my mom.

So far I know that I am the only deaf person in my family, I probably have other one that we don't even know.

My hearing loss is probably genetic, but no one else in my family is affected the same way. Everyone in my family is hearing, except my grandfather, but he's only lost his hearing in his old age.

I presume I'm the first deaf person in family history. I'm awaiting the connexin 20 result then I might know for sure.

Back