Are you plan to buy Window Vista?

I bought 2nd PC with window vista for my both sons at few months ago. I own 1st PC with XP... My both sons compared window vista with XP and said that they prefer window vista over XP.. :dunno:

I heard positive about "Apple" but it's too expensive... :aw:

I bought 2nd PC with window vista for my both sons at few months ago. I own 1st PC with XP... My both sons compared window vista with XP and said that they prefer window vista over XP.. :dunno:

I heard positive about "Apple" but it's too expensive... :aw:

If you buy Mac in USA then it will be cheaper, it does support German language via first start up but only problem is different power voltage.

Check out this link
Apple Store (Deutschland) - Willkommen im Apple Store

I checked on currency converter for between US dollar and Euro, wow... Mac in Germany is so expensive.

No matter about AMD64 system. I guess you missed something or you break them again. oh boy.

Nah the mobo was broken two months ago. What can I do :lol: Like I mentioned in "Motherboard and Processor" thread. My processor works fine and mobo is bad.

I already tested my amd64 system last year for Windows Vista readiness "test" and it showed that AMD 64 processor is ready for Vista but not the memory, graphic card and sound chipset. Sound chipset need update driver, Memory need to be 1 gb or more (for I had 512mb). and graphic card needed to upgraded to 256mb graphic card or better.

Recently my son told me that again that ATI Radeon 9000 pro (the survivor from burned Athlon XP system) just died on 800mhz system few weeks later. Oh well who cares, it's soo old and I pulled out and replaced with slower one. I told them that I planned to get 939 mobo w/ PCI-E and get PCI-E graphic card. Plus!! the surviving 512 DDR memory from Athlon XP system will be used to combine with another 512mb to make it 1gb. So I would have Vista ready system. :rofl:

My Acer laptop is Vista ready but need memory upgrade to 1 or 2 gb. DDR sodimm are expensive than DDR2 grrrrr!!! Also I just learned that there are lawsuit against computer manufacter for labeling "vista ready" when it only accept Windows Vista Basic not Preminuim or Ultimate. Someone got soo pissed over it :lol: .

MY lappy can take Basic and Preminuim, not Ultimate. I don't need Ultimate tho...

Catty

If you buy Mac in USA then it will be cheaper, it does support German language via first start up but only problem is different power voltage.

Check out this link
Apple Store (Deutschland) - Willkommen im Apple Store

I checked on currency converter for between US dollar and Euro, wow... Mac in Germany is so expensive.

No worry about power voltage. All power supply work fine for any volts. Read your power supply's spec and you will see ''Input AC 100-240 volts"

Most Europe is 220 volts. It's fine and just need adapter plug..

Amazon.com: Adapter Plug - Europe - Universal Polarized Wide Input Round Pins - Heavy Duty 8 Amp Rating: Electronics

It's really old technology for over 10 years.

I'm using a friend's computer a window vista. I don't like window vista. I can't wait to be home to use my own imac. :)

I'm using a friend's computer a window vista. I don't like window vista. I can't wait to be home to use my own imac. :)

lol, told ya that Vista is best OS ever in the world, thanks to MS.

j/k

lol, told ya that Vista is best OS ever in the world, thanks to MS.

j/k

:lol: what?! J/K.

There are some people out there are happy with their window vista. As for me I'm happy with imac than buying window vista desktop computer.

:lol: what?! J/K.

There are some people out there are happy with their window vista. As for me I'm happy with imac than buying window vista desktop computer.

Is it slow to run on your friend's computer?

If so then just check CPU and RAM.

Is it slow to run on your friend's computer?

If so then just check CPU and RAM.

Yes it is very slow. The problem is not enough RAM. A home basic window vista on laptop: 512 mb of RAM. They did asked me what to do make it faster on their laptop. I mentioned that they need at least 1gb or more RAM.

Oh well it's better than nothing. eh :)

Yes it is very slow. The problem is not enough RAM. A home basic window vista on laptop: 512 mb of RAM. They did asked me what to do make it faster on their laptop. I mentioned that they need at least 1gb or more RAM.

Hey man! If yo have many 1 or 2 gb flashdrives, You can plug it in available USB ports and Vista will use it as a ram. Have you thought about it? I don't know if it helps speed up ur friend's laptop :rofl:

I just downloaded the 'cracked' version of Windows XP program that converts flashdrive into ram. Haven't had time to install it.

Catty

Hey man! If yo have many 1 or 2 gb flashdrives, You can plug it in available USB ports and Vista will use it as a ram. Have you thought about it? I don't know if it helps speed up ur friend's laptop :rofl:

I just downloaded the 'cracked' version of Windows XP program that converts flashdrive into ram. Haven't had time to install it.

Catty

I don't think it will help speed up as it is using as virtual memory and flash memory cards are not fast as the RAM chips.

I don't think it will help speed up as it is using as virtual memory and flash memory cards are not fast as the RAM chips.

Yeah, I am aware of it.

But not sure if it can help reduce burden on RAM memory. I may play with it to see how it goes. But the bad part is that it all depends on flash drive brands. Lexar brand have lightening fast flash drive. I used to have it (It had really fancy stainless steel casing) and it transfer files really fast, look like 50x faster than my current Imation flash drive. Lexar isn't a good brand cuz it damaged very easily if pulled out while drive light is still on (not flashing). I exchanged for same drive and I did use 'safetly remove hardware' to disable flashdrive before pulling out but I plugged it in my friend's pc and it got damaged. Lexar Lightening drive is pretty finiky. So I exchaged for Imation drive which is smaller than Lexar itself. It is pretty sturdy drive that I pulled out even with light on. It doesn't get damaged. I bought it two years ago and it's pair of 512mb and I still am using it. Now I want 4 or 8 gb drive!! :lol:

So if using fast flashdrive, maybe it'll show a bit difference on Vista?

Catty

Yeah, I am aware of it.

But not sure if it can help reduce burden on RAM memory. I may play with it to see how it goes. But the bad part is that it all depends on flash drive brands. Lexar brand have lightening fast flash drive. I used to have it (It had really fancy stainless steel casing) and it transfer files really fast, look like 50x faster than my current Imation flash drive. Lexar isn't a good brand cuz it damaged very easily if pulled out while drive light is still on (not flashing). I exchanged for same drive and I did use 'safetly remove hardware' to disable flashdrive before pulling out but I plugged it in my friend's pc and it got damaged. Lexar Lightening drive is pretty finiky. So I exchaged for Imation drive which is smaller than Lexar itself. It is pretty sturdy drive that I pulled out even with light on. It doesn't get damaged. I bought it two years ago and it's pair of 512mb and I still am using it. Now I want 4 or 8 gb drive!! :lol:

So if using fast flashdrive, maybe it'll show a bit difference on Vista?

Catty

That's possible with high speed flash cards on USB 2.0 readers. I am not sure the transfer rate of the current RAM chips but I think high speed flash memory cards have speeds of around 5-10 MB/sec.

That's possible with high speed flash cards on USB 2.0 readers. I am not sure the transfer rate of the current RAM chips but I think high speed flash memory cards have speeds of around 5-10 MB/sec.

Yup, RAM chips tend to be the fastest. So High speed flash memory may be somewhat slower than RAM chips.

Catty

It's call Readyboost. Flash usb hybrid with hard drive for quick loading the programs.

All depend on flash usb. Mine OCZ 4gb is around 25MB/S. It's only $20 from newegg.com

hdtune.jpg

Catty

:lol: Sorry don't have flashdrives here. My friend will upgrade RAM when they go to store someday. No I haven't thought about that as I'm not updated with latest computer technologies.

Psst: let you know I am female here. :)

Ah do make a thread about windows XP that converts flashdrive into ram, when ya done with it. :)

Oh, 512 MB isn't enough for all edition of Vista, however recommended is 1 GB for Home edition and 2 GB or above for Home Premimum or over.

I bet CPU on your computer must be Pentium 3 or Pentium 4, you can check view system on my computer.

Faster, latest CPU like Core 2 Duo would help speed Vista up, along with latest RAM like DDR2.

Purplecatty,
you said that to use fast flashdrive in bigger capacity , there is a such thing you probably already aware of, the Solid state drives atm 76 GB from Samsung, maybe its bigger now i dunno. but these are on EElaptops usually with 4-5 gb in size...but yes i think you are sort of unwittingly thinking along the right track in terms of what things to come in computers. LIke they are likely to develop SSD's further with an intention to exploit this transfer speed advantage over mechanical drive so the 'future developments in Vista/windows 7, or later (NT7 technology and beyond) would show that bit of a difference for running big and heavy OS programs like Vista.

Be a waste of time getting a 4-8 GB flash drives for that purpose unless then of course you'd double your intention to use it as back up drive, that is so much easier than using cd/DVD's bluerays DVDs... hell CD is on its way out now , wow we came a long way.....

Solidstate drive also have wieght and power consumption advantages so the lappys will be far more reliable and much lighter than what we have now, not to mention probably more robust since we have eradicated the need for precision engineering required for these mechanical drives.

So yeah I reckon Windows 7 sounds good, while i still believe it's only going to a small bridge for before we actually get SSD's in the mainstream consumer market.

oh, I think DDR3 MOBOs is already out......also i wonder if Core2duo will only be good for vista, windows 7 but newer OS's afterthat it might struggle , its just i got a hunch about it.

cheers

Purplecatty,
you said that to use fast flashdrive in bigger capacity , there is a such thing you probably already aware of, the Solid state drives atm 76 GB from Samsung, maybe its bigger now i dunno. but these are on EElaptops usually with 4-5 gb in size...but yes i think you are sort of unwittingly thinking along the right track in terms of what things to come in computers. LIke they are likely to develop SSD's further with an intention to exploit this transfer speed advantage over mechanical drive so the 'future developments in Vista/windows 7, or later (NT7 technology and beyond) would show that bit of a difference for running big and heavy OS programs like Vista.

Be a waste of time getting a 4-8 GB flash drives for that purpose unless then of course you'd double your intention to use it as back up drive, that is so much easier than using cd/DVD's bluerays DVDs... hell CD is on its way out now , wow we came a long way.....

Solidstate drive also have wieght and power consumption advantages so the lappys will be far more reliable and much lighter than what we have now, not to mention probably more robust since we have eradicated the need for precision engineering required for these mechanical drives.

So yeah I reckon Windows 7 sounds good, while i still believe it's only going to a small bridge for before we actually get SSD's in the mainstream consumer market.

oh, I think DDR3 MOBOs is already out......also i wonder if Core2duo will only be good for vista, windows 7 but newer OS's afterthat it might struggle , its just i got a hunch about it.

cheers

I hate to tell you.

The SSD Power Consumption Hoax : Flash SSDs Don’t Improve Your Notebook Battery Runtime – they Reduce It - Tom's Hardware

Flash SSDs Don’t Improve Your Notebook Battery Runtime – they Reduce It

Flash-based solid state drives (SSDs) are considered to be the future of performance hard drives, and everyone seems to be jumping on the bandwagon. We are no exception, as we have been publishing many articles on flash-based SSDs during the last few months, emphasizing the performance gains and the potential power savings brought by flash memory. And there is nothing wrong with this, since SLC flash SSDs easily outperform conventional hard drives today (SLC = single level cell). However, we have discovered that the power savings aren’t there: in fact, battery runtimes actually decrease if you use a flash SSD.

Back