Are you happy with your deafness?

I'm very happy that I have a great life, I'm very healthy, I have a great family, my family is very healthy, everything is great to me even though I'm deaf. So, deafness does NOT define me at all. I just happen to be deaf that God created me. Sure, I had few communication barriers but so what...because it's part of learning for me and everyone that God needs us to do.

Again, deafness does NOT define me at all. I'm just human being just like normal hearing people. My ears are just like "broken".

My 5 brothers and sisters, my parents, my children, my relatives, my neighbors, my friends (all of them are hearing) don't consider me as a deaf person at all.

I'm very, very happy for who I am. For your info, I don't have the CI.

:)
Momoftwo

Really? I thought hearing people leave each other alone in general? I have always thought deaf people get bothered more by hearing people who tell us they are learning sign language or try to use us as an audience to show off their beginning signing skills. One time my brother was talking with his friends at the river when some 50 year old lady just walked into the group and started signing "A...B...C...." Everyone was like :crazy: to her. She was stubborn and kept trying to sign but they were all wrong.

Is that considered rude of her to do that? What do u think? I find it extremely annoying cuz there are times I just want to enjoy my conversations with my friends or family without having to deal with someone trying to show off their signing skills. *sigh*

Only people my wife and I have come across where ones that we saw at college or people I work with. Other then that, nope. I have bugged other deafies in the malls or anywhere else, cause I like to meet new ppl. Most of the time, they think that I am deaf or HOH myself, that is when my wife hits me and tells them that I am hearing.

One of my friends old interpeter from HS asked my wife and I to join her ASL class, and I sat in the class just signing away acting as if I was deaf. The students never asked the reason why I was deaf, they just asked how it was like being deaf and everything. My wife ended up hitting me and forcing me to talk cause she was the deaf person and I was just the husband.:giggle:

Only people my wife and I have come across where ones that we saw at college or people I work with. Other then that, nope. I have bugged other deafies in the malls or anywhere else, cause I like to meet new ppl. Most of the time, they think that I am deaf or HOH myself, that is when my wife hits me and tells them that I am hearing.

One of my friends old interpeter from HS asked my wife and I to join her ASL class, and I sat in the class just signing away acting as if I was deaf. The students never asked the reason why I was deaf, they just asked how it was like being deaf and everything. My wife ended up hitting me and forcing me to talk cause she was the deaf person and I was just the husband.:giggle:

Army,

If Deafies think that you are deaf, that is a strong sign that you are a good signer. Smile...

Army,

If Deafies think that you are deaf, that is a strong sign that you are a good signer. Smile...

Hey, I know, but I have to play along till my wife hits me in the back of the head.:slap: :slap: :slap: My wife is mean, she won't let me play deaf.

We've heard so much about your son but when is he going to come along to AD? Does he have internet access?

Yes he does. Said he's going to start posting on winter break from college when he has time to sit down and concentrate on something except school.

Really? I thought hearing people leave each other alone in general? I have always thought deaf people get bothered more by hearing people who tell us they are learning sign language or try to use us as an audience to show off their beginning signing skills. One time my brother was talking with his friends at the river when some 50 year old lady just walked into the group and started signing "A...B...C...." Everyone was like :crazy: to her. She was stubborn and kept trying to sign but they were all wrong.

Is that considered rude of her to do that? What do u think? I find it extremely annoying cuz there are times I just want to enjoy my conversations with my friends or family without having to deal with someone trying to show off their signing skills. *sigh*

I know how you feel sometimes. I remember signing to someone and some lady out of the blue came up to us and told us in sign that she "loved us in Christ." :roll:

I'm happy with what I got. I've never really being bitter with being deaf. Im lucky to grow up with good people who treats me equal but yes there is some people outside who i dont know treats me like im a retarted but that didnt stop me.

That's incredibly rude of that woman. Same as a Deaf person walking into a hearing conversation and saying: "Listen to what I learned in speech therapy today!" Conversations are private no matter if in sign or speech. U don't just butt in!

I'm happy with what I got. I've never really being bitter with being deaf. Im lucky to grow up with good people who treats me equal but yes there is some people outside who i dont know treats me like im a retarted but that didnt stop me.

Yup... I do know the feeling when hearies look at me like I am a retard or a dumb ass.

For instance, I went to this clothing store. (Keep in mind that I don't speak very well.) I found this cute shirt for my daughter. It was way too big. It was a size five. My daughter is a size 2 or 3. I tried to ask her if there is a shirt like this that is smaller than size five. She looked at me like I was stupid and replied that this shirt is a size five. I told her that I know THIS shirt is a size five. I repeated my question. She pointed to size five that this shirt is a size five again.

I gestured to her big... no... small... yes. Long pause... she handed me off to another co worker who eventually understood me. Result... no smaller size. Oh well...

I experience this almost daily. I am surprised at myself that I didn't go postal on her. :rl:

I am so proud to be deaf :) :D. If I am hearing then proud to be hearing but!!! if I am hearing and I would love to involed with deaf commiuty (sp) love to learn ASL :D. But glad that I am deaf :) hehe :lol:

I am hearing and since I have begun learning ASL I love it so much!!! It’s great. And I have met so many Deaf and HOH people and they are so much fun I enjoy all my time with them. Some I talk to almost daily through various messengers. They all took to me right away. I have always been a very animated person when I am joking around. I have always, “talked” with my hands. And I look people in they eyes when talking to them which makes some uncomfortable. These are all things that I have always done that I see in Deaf people. I have had to hold that part of me down in most situations but I don’t have to when with my Deaf friends. So the Deaf community that I have been around have been very liberating in a sense to me. Plus I LOVE the language.

Army,

I am still such a beginner I have only been learning for a few months. My Deaf friends have been so encouraging and tell me how good I am doing. When they introduce me to new Deafies they say “HE’S ONLY BEEN LEARNING FOR TWO MONTHS LOOK AT HIM!!!” I just thought they were trying to be nice, being good friends and wanting me not to get discouraged. This weekend I went to a wedding and was talking to some deaf friends. Later close to the start of the ceremony everyone was taking their seats I was just standing and this hearing woman came to me and signed, “the seating for the Deaf is in the front you can sit if you’d like.” I looked at her and laughed and said, “No I’m hearing”. She laughed. And told the interpreter her mix up. =) now I know I am not anywhere near on the level of Army. I still get confused, and, OMG one handed signing I just cannot understand no matter how hard I try LOL!! It felt good though that some one I don’t know said that. You know you never believe your friends when they compliment you. Well at least I don’t.

I am happy to be deaf. sometime i wish i can hear. My husband said he wish he can be deaf sometime if there are too nosie.

We deafies sure do have some advantage and disadvantages.

While hearies often don't realize they indeed do have some disadvantages like having to hear such noises and craps from anyone close by and something else.

I do accept being deaf at most. We just adapted and accepted the way it runs in this world, simply that. Although we receive additional advantages being deaf now due to some wonderful technologies that break our barrier between the hearing world unlike those deafies before 1980s. Yet we do still have a few barriers and disadvantages but what can you and I do? hmm..

Prefer being deaf than being blind or else? It should be an obvious YES for many of you and me. So therefore we should be more thankful more often than not.

This is like saying I am happy to be blind, dumb, hanicapped, mental-challenged, ugly, black, and so on and on.

I am the proudest person on earth that I am deaf, I have absolutely no regrets, in fact being deaf has been the supreme blessing of my life predominantly because I have become a very independent & individual person alongwith the transition of realizing that one is deaf!! Being deaf, Oh my God, how can I be apart of something that defines my very being!!

Kashveera

I happen to be totally deaf and blind. (For those who may be curious, I use a screen reader called JAWS and a Braille display to read AD.) I was born blind and lost my hearing progressively since I was 3. Even though my hearing loss posed many challenges for me in terms of communicating with others, I consider it to be a blessing in disguise. My progressive hearing loss has made me a stronger person and has allowed me to exercise a great deal of patience (something I didn't have alot of before I lost my hearing). I see people for who they really are instead of judging them by appearance. If it were not for my hearing loss/deafness, I never would have met the wonderful people who taught me how to live successfully as a deafblind person, nor would I have met the many friends I've made in the Deaf and deafblind community. Do I have days where deafblindness frustrates the %#@! out of me? You bet! But more often than not, my own deafblindness has taught me that there is more to life than being able to see or hear. Many people have asked me if I were given the opportunity to see and hear normally (since I hear with bilateral CIs), would I take it? My answer is "no" because I'm perfectly happy the way I am! :)

I, being hearing, wish that I was deaf a lot. I am the less worried person in my squad that worries abt my hearing and everything. I get tired of people coming out the the blue and want to bug me in public abt the status of my wife (why she deaf? what happened to her? Can they fix it? You know that the Army can fix it? Why she happy she is deaf? etc...). I just tell them she is the lucky one and everything. She didn't have to listen to my son scream his head off like bloody murder for 45 min getting stritches in his chin. They had the door closed and ppl in the waiting room still heard him scream.

Actually, I grew up in a hearing world. Yes, I am deaf but I don't really care for deaf yet.. I just wish I am hearing most of the time. Besides, I am so glad I didnt have to hear or listen to my kids's scream, cry or anything like that. It will gives me a headache.. OOPS, I am a bad excuses, LOL...:|

I really never went out with deaf guy but only once for two years and I never happy..

I am realllllllllly HAPPY to be with a hearing husband in my life. I love my husband to death.... :dance2: :dance2:

My husband loves to act deaf.. He is just silly... Hehe

Back