Are you happy with your deafness?

Well I am very happy where and who I am now! But sometime I wish I am hearing!
:)

I wouldn't say I was "happy" to be deaf - that seems to almost sound like overcompensating for some inner inadequacy. A better word is that I'm comfortable with who I am as a deaf person and I have no desire to anything or anyone different.

Same here! When I am with my deaf friends or at work, I dont feel "different" or lacking anything but when I go to my in-laws (my husband is hearing) and everyone is chatting away and laughing, that's when I become uncomfortable. Not sure if that means I wish I was hearing in situations like that or just want to get out? Who knows? Thank goodness I am in a signing environment 90% of the time.

I am created to be deaf, so I accept it and go thru life challenges. ;)

I agree with shel90, I feel same way..

But I don't mind being deaf, it is just the way I am. Some of my hearing friend say I was lucky to be deaf. I ask why? They say you can turn hearing aids off, so you would not hear their nagging and complaining.. LOL.. That is cool. I have 2 kids all they say:pissed: :crazy: :nana: :hyper: :slap: :run: :applause: :cry: :dunno2: :blah: So, I can turn off my hearing aids:giggle:

Panhandler: Hey you!!! Can you spare a dollar?

Me: (walking by)

Panhandler: Hey you!!! What are you, deaf?

Me: (still walking by)

Panhandler: (waving in the air) Hey you... Gimme a dollar?!?!?!?

Me: (Got my attention) (I look at him. I point to my ears and shrug.)

Panhandler: Ohhhhh... You are deaf. Sorry to have bothered you. :)o Walking away hoping to find a hearing person to get a dollar.)

One of the many perks of being deaf is that annoying hearing people (not all hearing people are annoying) who don't know ASL can leave me alone.

YES. I am so thankful that I am DEAF! :dance2: :deaf: :deaf:

Woofy,
you know me.. i am proud to be deaf, but sometimes i wish i am hearing why? i will to hear the music, when i was cheerleading by NFL Europe American Football Frankfurt Galaxy dancing. i can feeling of music, but its not enough ;)

I enjoy it when I go out with my wife or other deaf friends to stores or places to eat, the people don't bug us that much. If I go to the store myself or with only my wife and I talk a little, they bug the shyt out of me. But if I sign the whole time, they stay away from us and we have some quit time as we shop or eat.

Woofy,
you know me.. i am proud to be deaf, but sometimes i wish i am hearing why? i will to hear the music, when i was cheerleading by NFL Europe American Football Frankfurt Galaxy dancing. i can feeling of music, but its not enough ;)

Sunshine,

Yes... I do know you. I do know that you are PROUD to be :deaf:, Same with me.

It is only natural to be curious to wonder what it is like to be hearing. I sometimes feel that way. Hearies sometimes surprise me that they can hear this and that.

As for me being deaf, I just look on the positive aspects of it and build on that. That will only make one a stronger person.

As for music, I like to play music loud with bass (not the fish) up high. Boom, boom...:bump:

I enjoy it when I go out with my wife or other deaf friends to stores or places to eat, the people don't bug us that much. If I go to the store myself or with only my wife and I talk a little, they bug the shyt out of me. But if I sign the whole time, they stay away from us and we have some quit time as we shop or eat.

Armymech,

I understand how you feel. Whenever, I go out with deaf friends or hearies who know sign, hearing people just steer clear of us like we have the plague. I look at this as a perk or a positive so that they leave us alone. :giggle:

I asked my son this question when I was talking with him on the TTY this weekend. He said, "Yes, I'm satisfied with being Deaf. I don't feel the need to change. Do I know if being hearing would make me happier as a person? Don't know--I have no idea what it would be like to be hearing. Deaf is what I know."

Armymech,

I understand how you feel. Whenever, I go out with deaf friends or hearies who know sign, hearing people just steer clear of us like we have the plague. I look at this as a perk or a positive so that they leave us alone. :giggle:

Really? I thought hearing people leave each other alone in general? I have always thought deaf people get bothered more by hearing people who tell us they are learning sign language or try to use us as an audience to show off their beginning signing skills. One time my brother was talking with his friends at the river when some 50 year old lady just walked into the group and started signing "A...B...C...." Everyone was like :crazy: to her. She was stubborn and kept trying to sign but they were all wrong.

Is that considered rude of her to do that? What do u think? I find it extremely annoying cuz there are times I just want to enjoy my conversations with my friends or family without having to deal with someone trying to show off their signing skills. *sigh*

Yup! being HOH i consider myself lucky: i have the best of both worlds. If i want to hear i can, if i don't, i don't have to. Not many ppl can say that. YAY!

Yup! being HOH i consider myself lucky: i have the best of both worlds. If i want to hear i can, if i don't, i don't have to. Not many ppl can say that. YAY!

Never thought of it that way. Wow..u lucky! I am severly profoundly deaf...cant hear if I wanted to even with my HA..still sounds too distorted so I used them for environmental sounds.

Being hard of hearing is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing when I can take my hearing aids out and enjoy the peace and quiet. It's also a blessing as I am blessed with a large family that has many HOH members and I grew up in the deaf culture (Residential school, Gally, etc). It's sometimes a curse because I am a part of both the deaf and hearing worlds but do not "belong" to either one. I can't hear well enough to be considered hearing and I am not deaf enough to be considered deaf so there are times that I feel like I am in a "twilight zone". It's frustrating sometimes but I can live with it because that's the way it is.

I asked my son this question when I was talking with him on the TTY this weekend. He said, "Yes, I'm satisfied with being Deaf. I don't feel the need to change. Do I know if being hearing would make me happier as a person? Don't know--I have no idea what it would be like to be hearing. Deaf is what I know."

We've heard so much about your son but when is he going to come along to AD? Does he have internet access?

Doesn't bother me either way now....I only wish I knew sign a little better to interact with deaf community, felt out of place so far.

No, I wasn't always happy with my deafness. I always felt it held me back from doing things I want due to communication barriers.

I'm pretty much in the same boat with Defmusicman, I get the same feeling that I live in both worlds. Without a HA on, I can just barely hear, but not audible enough to hear people talking to me in a quiet room. Coming from the past where I used to have almost natural hearing to where it diminished to now, it sometimes is annoying to be apart of both worlds. There are times I want to be social and in with the general public/friends, and there are also few times that I'd like to be left alone away from it.

The way I see it is, that it's pretty much circumstantial for myself. At work, of course I'd want to hear everything and not make any mistakes, because there is a lot of responsibility involved in the job, and one simple mistake can risk the lives of people. Watching TV, it would be nice to be able to understand it rather than having to read the text on the screen because they say things only once and I didn't catch it well.

But perhaps it's influenced from the past "hearing" life that I lived in. There are also times that being HoH has benefits, such as sleeping, evading nagging people, becoming secluded at times.

I'd say for the case that it is circumstantial and different for everyone.

Back