Are you happy with your deafness?

Serendipity

Reaction score
It's open for everyone to discuss. Are you happy with the fact that you're deaf or hard of hearing? If not, why?

It's hard to answer. I don't feel ashamed of my hard of hearing status and actually I love my deaf world more than hearing world.. I feel as if I were trapped between two different world. I cannot totally be inside either of these worlds and this makes me unhappy and frustrated at times :(

I am so proud to be deaf :) :D. If I am hearing then proud to be hearing but!!! if I am hearing and I would love to involed with deaf commiuty (sp) love to learn ASL :D. But glad that I am deaf :) hehe :lol:

I was born HOH.. but my parents were deaf... so i am in deaf world also in hearing world.... i am now deaf for past 5 yrs... i am not ashamed of it... deafness runs in my family...

I was born severe HOH too, and in between worlds of Deaf and hearing too. I don't mind where I am at even though.

I LOVE being Deaf so that way I do NOT have
to listen to these disturbing sounds such as
crying babies or screaming etc.

I would go CRAZY if I can hear something !

I'm so blessed being Deaf !

i m not satisfied wiht my deafness; i m gonna go rip my tongue out, stab my eyes out, and mutilate my nose. perhaps step into an incinerator for a minute or two to get rid of that pesky tactile sense.

Huh ? ok....:iough:

M-:afro:

Im so glad be deaf... no noise for me.. Because, I have 3 kids.. They always :crazy: :blah: :tears: :dizzy: :hyper: :run: :applause: :eek: :mad2: :hyper: Thank god,Im deaf...:squint:

Other things, Im so proud be :deaf: deaf:deaf: ... It doesnt bother me at all....

M-:afro:

I've always been deaf, so it's not a curse or a blessing--just part of who I am!

Ohh one thing that I can hear that I am hoh but I go for said I am deaf that is all cuase I can signs lol :lol: I always said to them I am deaf that it lol :lol: havent told them that I am hoh haha

Ohh one thing that I can hear that I am hoh but I go for said I am deaf that is all cuase I can signs lol :lol: I always said to them I am deaf that it lol :lol: havent told them that I am hoh haha
same here DM..

My mother said I am HOH but I labeled myself DEAF. I am not shamed or embarrassed being deaf. I dont remember I lost my hear when I was 2 and half yrs old. It doesnt bother me. I am just being ME.

Ummm...good question. I don't mind being deaf "per se". I have learned to deal with it and survive in spite of it especially as I gravitate toward the hearing world easily. If I had a choice, I much prefer to be hearing as I'm quite comfortable with hearing in a noisy world. Life isn't fair but you take what you're given and that is fine with me. I do think that dealing with deafness makes me a better person as I'm more able to empathsize with others in difficult circumstances.

I have a little hearing impairment to deaf and hh people they'd say you're fine. But it is hard for me to hear if I am not looking at the person if they have a soft voice. The tv is up louder than normal although backgroun music on tv show is too loud but I have to have it up if I am going to hear the words. It is very frustrating yet I can hear the dog barking early in the morning those times make me wish I was deaf.

I am HOH and I am very happy with being HOH. I can hear things that are very interesting. It's nice to know what and where the sounds are coming from. It's also nice to take out my hearing aids when I get a nasty headache or turn them off when someone is talking excessively. I usually say my hearing battery died and that lets me leave the conversation. LOL. There are times where I wish I was competely hearing though. I am tired of asking "what?" or "huh?" when someone says something and I don't catch it. Besides that it's all good.

I have a little hearing impairment to deaf and hh people they'd say you're fine. But it is hard for me to hear if I am not looking at the person if they have a soft voice. The tv is up louder than normal although backgroun music on tv show is too loud but I have to have it up if I am going to hear the words. It is very frustrating yet I can hear the dog barking early in the morning those times make me wish I was deaf.

same here lol when I turn up the volume on tv that my mom or my sister came to living room and tell me turn it down then I said awww I cant hear if it is turn down ? and they said to me " TooBad! turn it down" OH blah! I turn it down and got grumpy cuase I love to hear the sound lol. :lol: now I am live on my own since I was 19 yrs old so I can turn up my tv of volume what I want! lol :lol: they cant tell me turn it down toobad for them!!! lol LOL !

same here DM..

My mother said I am HOH but I labeled myself DEAF. I am not shamed or embarrassed being deaf. I dont remember I lost my hear when I was 2 and half yrs old. It doesnt bother me. I am just being ME.

Oh yeah me too I go I said I am deaf lol some ppl staring at me when I signs pfffft at them lol :lol:

I LOVE being Deaf so that way I do NOT have
to listen to these disturbing sounds such as
crying babies or screaming etc.

I would go CRAZY if I can hear something !

I'm so blessed being Deaf !

Maybe that's why the hearing look insane to us sometimes. :giggle:

I wouldn't say I was "happy" to be deaf - that seems to almost sound like overcompensating for some inner inadequacy. A better word is that I'm comfortable with who I am as a deaf person and I have no desire to anything or anyone different.

I wouldn't say I was "happy" to be deaf - that seems to almost sound like overcompensating for some inner inadequacy. A better word is that I'm comfortable with who I am as a deaf person and I have no desire to anything or anyone different.

I consider myself the same way :gpost:

in my previous post, I just wanted to say that living in a hearing world as a hoh person is very tiring .

Back