Afraid of needles?

• Terrified!

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • No problem

Votes: 28 29.2%
  • Don't like them, but it's no big deal

Votes: 47 49.0%

• Total voters
I won't vote because none of the options apply to me but yes, I am afraid of needles.

This guy is not afraid of needles.

chinese-man-needles-olympic.jpg

pain after bloodwork

I gave a few viles for bloodwork today and I felt pain immediately when the needle went in. The nurse said she felt some resistance, i.e. tissue, and she had to tilt the angle of the syringe to get the blood to flow out.

Since then, my right arm has periodically been in pain throughout the day, especially with movement, and has shown no signs of getting better after 16 hours. I asked her initially if I would be good to play racquetball or tennis, and she said sure, as long as I feel okay, but I haven't felt okay at all, I'm worried to move my arm much at all.

I can clearly see the small red dot (actually medium sized, about 0.75 cm wide) is off-center from the vein, clearly missing the vein. My veins are large and clearly visible too, which confuses me how she missed. I suppose it was the way she had my arm set up, she told me to put me left arm under my right elbow, and I think that confused the whole matter, probably being the source of the dilemna and missing of the vein.

So this pain, like a tingling and sharpness, keeps coming and going, coming and going. There is no swelling or discoloration though. Nonetheless, I'm worried that something may be wrong. How soon should I see a doctor about this?

Is this possibly a nerve being hit?

Or is this just an internal bruise?

I realize it must not be pooling of blood, because then there would be swelling.

The pain is worrying me, and being a Saturday morning (3AM), I don't think I'll be able to see a doctor today. Should I be worried? I am though.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
~Kevin.

Hi there,

I was at the Lab clinic after my visual field test at the same bldg. After draw my blood for cholesterol check up. Then I go to the reps desk to call my medic bus, then I looked on my arm. I says "Whoa, infused bleeding and better get other pad and bandages" then nurse rushed to get the kits and placed on large glaze pad and warpped the brown elcastic bands (used be on cast protector). That's why I don't drink or foods for 12 hours before blood drawn that would cause infused bleeding.

That means you're not drinking enough. Drink a glass of water one hour before you get blood drawn. It works for me every time.

Btw, I don't like needles, but it's no big deal.

Thanks for the tip. Sometimes I get poked too much. I handle it by not looking when she got the needle in. After that, no pain and I can look.

last time I had surgery

I was laying there on the gurney with a light coverlet over me, waiting. There was a busy older nurse at a nearby desk doing paperwork. A bright young nurse comes in with out anyone with her to take blood. She looks kind of like a newby to me so I ask yep she is a student nurse not a all the way there yet. She puts the makings for the test on my lower stomach when she starts attempt to strike blood in my arm. Every time she needs for what reason dunno something from the little pile there she accidently goes too low and grabs my package oops! Meanwhile she is not striking blood in my arm and really starting to cause some serious misery on my part. Finally I beg for mercy and call out to the older nurse to help me(of course she is pretending to not see what is going on). By this time I am soaked in sweat and ready to run but the real nurse comes over grabs the needle pounds it in just right does the job and walks away without a word but a wink for me and a smile.

I have baby veins and they can't use the adult sized needles on me. I can't give blood for that very reason. Seems really weird that I, being a large person (getting smaller) would have such small veins. And no, no matter how much I drink before, they still won't enlarge the veins. I drink 64 oz of fluid daily.

I have the same problem as you. The Red Cross and sent me away twice because they couldn't get my blood. My veins are small, deep, and they move. Drinking H2O doesn't help me much. Have to hope for a skilled lab tech! I leave with bandages all over. :( But I'm still not afraid of needles, I'm afraid of the person who holds the needles :giggle:

I wonder if anyone is as bad as my wife.
She goes white, starts to shake, cry and then throws in a panic attack for good measure!

:wave: me... but not bad as your wife. my heart beat faster / breathe quickly / face turns white/ sometimes tears rolling down on my cheeks It's really embarassing but I cannot help it. My 2 daughters and my partner joked with me everytime I visit dentist "Hey, did you cry in the denstist's chair today?".. They think it's funny but I don't.:|

I've gotten a lot better but I am still scared inside. I have never actually looked at one going into me until that last blood test I had, when I got suddenly very, very curious and peeked at it and saw my blood filling up and I felt sick and like I was going to faint. Although I don't think I show it, I still get tense if I ever have to be poked and the anticipation is truly the painful part. Other than that one time, I always just look at my nails, play it cool and pretend like it's nothing. When really, I feel like a child with my insides squirming and my body twitching.

I have no problems with needles. Botox injections in the eye hurt like you know.

speaking of drawing blood --
One time I had some odd fever and was admitted to the ER. I saw these huge vials they were going to use on me. I was like oh man.

One poke, then vial, then next vial, next.. next.. boom, done. I am sure they drew at least a pint and half within a two minute period.

sadly, they all came out negative.

This is what it's like at the rheumatologist. You spend like 20 minutes sitting there while they drain half your blood content out of your body. :laugh2:

At least the phlebotomist there is good. She took 11 vials of my blood without even having to use a butterfly needle. And she put a special bandage on my arm that completely eliminated the giant hematoma I usually get afterwards. :cool2:

I hate needle! I did pass out once with needle!

Enuff explaination

Yes, I got tattoo.

I hate needle! I did pass out once with needle!

Enuff explaination

Yes, I got tattoo.

how many tattoos eh? I have ONE :P but yeah nobody believes I have one.. but I got it on higher above ankle so nobody can see it.. heh ;) but I was gonna get 2nd tattoo but I changed mind cuz after almost 10 years after getting it.. it started to itch for no reason ugh.. I think cuz I am allergic to stupid body wash but anyway... life goes on ;) sorry fellow ADers for going off topic here :)

Once, I had surgery and was in hospital for two months.
I worked out that I had around 110 needles in 8 weeks!

Good job they don't bother me! :lol:

dont mind needle to much. they not hurt bad. but when i see the blood i feel faint and go bit weak

The only needles I hate is the 2 gauge ones that lifeblood uses. Stupid people can't seem to do it right. I have huge veins and bleed very quickly so they don't notice the bag is full and it leaks in my arm (bruise). But I give blood still cause anyone can take O+ :)

oh goodness. I am absolutely terrified of needles. I went to the doctor to get a tb test and hepatitis A shot. He took alot of time doing things on the computer while i sat in the chair waiting. by time i got the shots i became dizzy and almost fainted.

Back