Afraid of needles?

• Terrified!

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • No problem

Votes: 28 29.2%
  • Don't like them, but it's no big deal

Votes: 47 49.0%

• Total voters
Yes she is and for that reason we were trying to make a game out of if. When she goes for her shot now - she will tell the person, I know it pinches, but don't make a big deal out of it and I will be fine. Then the stick the needle in and she giggles. It's hilarious!!

I'm on the autism spectrum too. Two weeks ago I was at the doctor and she was taking my blood pressure. She said "It's going to get tight" and my response was "obviously! I don't understand why doctors explain the things we know. It is a waste of words." The doctor looked confused and scared and my support person was laughing pretty hard. I saw nothing wrong with my response. Now I understand that doctors tell you it will get tight out of niceness but for me I didn't see the point. Medical professionals and autism create many interesting situations and social lessons :giggle:

I don't mind having blood taken at all. It happens very often and I have good veins so it is never a problem. I also need to check my blood sugar pretty much everyday and I am super used to poking my fingers. No problems there.

However, I am not a fan of having things injected. IVs I hate because when they flush it you can feel the cold saline going up your arm. I also have allergic reactions to injections like vaccines and I tend to end up with half my body paralized for sometimes a few weeks. So the needle itself isn't bad, it is just the after part.

I'm on the autism spectrum too. Two weeks ago I was at the doctor and she was taking my blood pressure. She said "It's going to get tight" and my response was "obviously! I don't understand why doctors explain the things we know. It is a waste of words." The doctor looked confused and scared and my support person was laughing pretty hard. I saw nothing wrong with my response. Now I understand that doctors tell you it will get tight out of niceness but for me I didn't see the point. Medical professionals and autism create many interesting situations and social lessons :giggle:

or they do it because it is comforting for the person to know that their doctor cares (by talking about it) . My first impression of a doctor who just stab you and say nothing is "that doctor is cold" or "that doctor treat me as a medical case instead of a person"

I use to be terrified of getting a needle after an inexperience nurse didn't do it right and she did it in both of my arms trying to draw blood and then left the needle in my arm while she went out to get a senior nurse cos she didnt know what to do. Grrrrr! Now, I am use to it as I have a blood test every 6 months or so and it doesnt bother me much anymore and of course with a more experience nurse!

I hate taking blood tests.. ugh once i do that I wud faint easy ugh.. anyway I managed to live afterwards.. after i was done with my blood drawn they gave me orange juice to drink afterwards.. :) so I voted terrifed ugh

I've been in the ambulance, trauma room or blood lab many times.. smallest pinch.. nothing hurt at all. I remmy last summer at the trauma room, the doc gave me painkiller "Demp...." (I don't remmy the spell) thru my IV tube feel like very drunk and head throbbing to ease the pain down on my ABS after PVC IV (vein not visiable on my arm and they put the PVC IV to snaking and find the vein to capture the blood in (Blood draw then IV in).

I hate needles.

When I was a kid, I absolutely dreaded going to the doctor because I was afraid I would have to get a shot every time.

Now, when I get a shot or immunization, I just look the other way and I don't even feel anything. I still hate needles on principle though...

I've gotten better about shots over the years. It all started when I had pneumonia as a kid and they couldn't find a vein at all to start an IV. I eventually had a cutdown on my ankle to surgically implant one. Because of that, I'm more afraid of IVs than of shots.

So when I was sick with mono about 3 years ago and was severely dehydrated, that was hell going into the emergency room every other day (once by ambulance) to get more IV fluids! Ugh!

Isn't it funny how when they tell you not to get nervous because your veins will constrict and it will hurt more? And telling yourself "Calm down self" NEVER helps!!!

I've gotten better about shots over the years. It all started when I had pneumonia as a kid and they couldn't find a vein at all to start an IV. I eventually had a cutdown on my ankle to surgically implant one. Because of that, I'm more afraid of IVs than of shots.

So when I was sick with mono about 3 years ago and was severely dehydrated, that was hell going into the emergency room every other day (once by ambulance) to get more IV fluids! Ugh!

Isn't it funny how when they tell you not to get nervous because your veins will constrict and it will hurt more? And telling yourself "Calm down self" NEVER helps!!!

Two things:
That's sad.

second,
quit kissing everyone!!!

Two things:
That's sad.

second,
quit kissing everyone!!!

:laugh2: actually didn't get it from kissing!!! At the time I got it, there was a small outbreak in the metro Indy area. Even the owner of the hair salon I go to, her husband got it and he worked at the government building!

I had a nail go through my bicep once. It didn't feel too good. I also took a bullet through my calf.....that actually didn't hurt too bad. Healing was more painful than actually being shot. Needles....no problem.

:shock: Holy cow!! ...may I suggest a different line of work :giggle:

I would have my entire body covered in tats if it weren't for...needles. I want tattoos soooooo badly...but no way I'm having needles darting into me like a sewing machine.

Getting shots doesn't bother me.

Having blood drawn does bother me because I have small veins that take extra long time and sometimes multiple attempts to get enough blood out.

Getting shots doesn't bother me.

Having blood drawn does bother me because I have small veins that take extra long time and sometimes multiple attempts to get enough blood out.

Reba would it help the flow if you stood on your head? :lol:

Reba would it help the flow if you stood on your head? :lol:
Ha! They almost had me do that once. :lol:

One time I had to give blood for my annual physical. It took three nurses and one doctor taking turns over four hours to get enough for one vial. They made me squeeze the rubber ball in each hand, walk briskly up and down the clinic halls, laid me down with wet towels on my legs, and punctured me on both arms in multiple spots. I think if they hadn't been finally successful they would have tried my jugular next. Ugh!

Ha! They almost had me do that once. :lol:

One time I had to give blood for my annual physical. It took three nurses and one doctor taking turns over four hours to get enough for one vial. They made me squeeze the rubber ball in each hand, walk briskly up and down the clinic halls, laid me down with wet towels on my legs, and punctured me on both arms in multiple spots. I think if they hadn't been finally successful they would have tried my jugular next. Ugh!

why not right next to the ankle?

Back