Are these good sign language classes?

I think SEE better than no sign language at all...but ASL preferable by far. My parents raise me mostly SEE because they don't know is not same ASL. At school use ASL, at home use SEE. Grateful parents teach SEE, alternative lip reading only. With time machine, I would tell parents learn proper ASL please!

I think point CSign make is classes listed very very basic beginner. This letter a, this b, this sign "hi", etc. Class probably SEE, but if this only thing available, better than nothing! Learn basic vocabulary, how finger spell, etc. Not good same ASL but not hurt. So quick attack CSign...not very nice. :(

Better than nothing... yes. But, what if there is a choice? a class that teaches SEE and ASL or a class that teaches only ASL? Which do you think would be the better choice?

If you are learning sign language for the first time, I think it would be confusing to learn different formats at the same time.

I'm biased, but I think it's best to learn ASL first...because once you learn an English-based signing system, it can be hard to "let go" of the English order and learn ASL syntax, rules, structure, etc. Personally, I've never heard of a class offering mixed versions at the same time, and I wouldn't teach it that way. I've only taught ASL (honestly, I refuse to teach MCE, etc. lol)... that's my two cents.

To answer your question, it sounds like "fluff" because of the reasons I stated...but still could be fun. I agree with whoever mentioned it'd be good to build some vocabulary and good to meet people with the same interests. ;)

At a University 100 miles away, they offer ASL I, II, and III. And you get credit for the courses. I'd prefer this, but I don't think there's any credit-based ASL courses in the town I live.

My ITP (interpreter training program) taught ASL and SEE separately. ASL was taught as the language used by Deaf people, and as the language to be interpreted. SEE was taught after all the levels of ASL were accomplished. It was taught as a transliterating tool, not a language.

For the average person who wants to communicate with Deaf society, ASL is the way to go.

For students who want to become interpreters, ASL is the way to go. They can learn SEE as part of an ITP, after they've finished the ASL levels. Terps have to be ready to handle all situations.

For parents who have Deaf children, ASL is the way to go. Once they are fluent in ASL, there could be some benefit to taking a SEE course in order to know what's going on in their child's English classes, and to be aware of the difference.

IMO

At a University 100 miles away, they offer ASL I, II, and III. And you get credit for the courses. I'd prefer this, but I don't think there's any credit-based ASL courses in the town I live.
Some not-for-credit ASL courses can be just as good, depending on who is teaching them and the curriculum they use.

I know one example of the same instructor using the same curriculum for both credit and non-credit courses at the same school. The difference is in pricing. The for-credit course involves more graded work and testing but other than that, they are the same.

Also, even if the course is non-credit, if it's taught and sponsored by a local deaf organization, it's usually on par with the credit course. Sometimes they use the same curriculum.

If you already know some ASL, ask to be evaluated for proper class level placement before registering.

If you are learning sign language for the first time, I think it would be confusing to learn different formats at the same time.

I'm biased, but I think it's best to learn ASL first...because once you learn an English-based signing system, it can be hard to "let go" of the English order and learn ASL syntax, rules, structure, etc. Personally, I've never heard of a class offering mixed versions at the same time, and I wouldn't teach it that way. I've only taught ASL (honestly, I refuse to teach MCE, etc. lol)... that's my two cents.

So true! Why I am *SO* angry sometimes. I *KNEW* ASL why take that away. Now I recognize *some* signs but not all. Now that I`m back to *MY* language I feel home. :hug:

Just got back from a deaf meet. I showed the class information to some people there and they all had high regards for the teacher listed. So I'm going to go ahead and take those two classes and go from there. :)

Our church has a HOH interpretor. She gives free ASL lessons in the fall at the church. Since she went to a Deaf school she is very good.
Does your town have anything like this?

...why is a Deaf instructor necessary? I am taking ASL and my instructor is hearing...

would you like it if you are learning English from a person whose primary language isn't English?

Update: this class is interesting, but it is a little frustrating.

It is taught by an interpreter that local deafies think well of.

She is teaching mixed signs of ASL and SEE. She is teaching the class verbally, or at least at to start with. She'll say the word and sign it. Or say the word and watch to see if the rest of the (hearing) class signs it correctly or not.

The problem, of course, is that I have a really hard time hearing her. I'm also getting a little confused with the ASL and SEE signs. She'll speak a word then say that "This is the sign in ASL and this is the sign in SEE, you may see both signs at times, in the deaf community." Etc.

I'm lagging behind the rest of the class... I'm not sure how she expects us to remember the signs from week to week (one class per week). There are no hand outs of the sign shapes themselves. Just word lists and sentences to practice.

There was a student in class who used LifePrint.com to practice a few signs over the weekend and it didn't match up with what she taught in class.

So I'm not really sure what to think of this class so far. I'm almost thinking I'd rather just use Lifeprint and practice on my own.

She may be a wonderful terp but she's not a very good teacher of ASL.

Your class doesn't use a curriculum or textbook with DVD?

Teaching word lists hasn't been accepted technique for ASL for a couple decades, at least.

Sounds a lot like what I just finished (part 1 of 2). Instructor taught asl signs, but not asl syntax or diction. Some of her signs seemed a bit outdated. A few I saw on LifePrint in the "not recommended" category. Some of them were overly animated, while I've been learning them more clean and streamlined online.

But I'm afraid I came in with too much knowledge to start, I was probably a pain in the butt with what I already knew.

As to learning from a deaf teacher - I don't quite agree. My ob/gyn is a MAN. I don't think you have to own a car to be a mechanic. And I think we could learn a lot from a person whose native tongue wasn't English. They've probably been taught it correctly while many native speakers "ain't been learned nothing" much.

She may be a wonderful terp but she's not a very good teacher of ASL.

Your class doesn't use a curriculum or textbook with DVD?

Teaching word lists hasn't been accepted technique for ASL for a couple decades, at least.

Nope, I have not seen a textbook or DVD anywhere in the classroom. Just word lists on a sheet of paper.

Based on what you said, I think I'll ask for my Federal Reserve Notes back.

Sounds a lot like what I just finished (part 1 of 2). Instructor taught asl signs, but not asl syntax or diction. Some of her signs seemed a bit outdated. A few I saw on LifePrint in the "not recommended" category. Some of them were overly animated, while I've been learning them more clean and streamlined online.

Yeah, not getting any ASL syntax here either. We're being taught to sign English... even with ASL signs. There are sentences on a sheet of paper that we get each week, and we are to sign them word for word.

I don't know much about ASL syntax, but I'm pretty sure that's not the way it goes.

But I'm afraid I came in with too much knowledge to start, I was probably a pain in the butt with what I already knew.

My teacher didn't like it when I asked during class whether a sign a deaf person showed me was also an accepted sign for the word she was teaching. So there are already cases where I'm shown a word by a deaf ASL signer and it doesn't match up with the sign shown in class. So I'm left wondering what sign is the "correct" one? What sign is a slang sign?

F'ing ridiculous.

Well, I can't be sure I'm getting the right information. Like I mentioned, some of the signs she's teaching is apparently not the "official" ASL signs that you would find on Lifeprint, for example.

She's teaching ASL and SEE signs side-by-side, which is confusing, because you are trying to remember them correctly. There are no books, DVD's or other reference material. So when you try to remember what the new signs were in class that day, you have to look online at Lifeprint (or other resource) and it turns out it doesn't match the sign in class anyway. (Some signs match, not all.)

Then I'm trying to keep up using my hearing, which is a pain. She says the word and signs it. When she said "duck", I thought she said "suck". And why not? It's a sign that is used right next to the mouth, so that makes sense, right?

Just not working out very well.

Well, I can't be sure I'm getting the right information. Like I mentioned, some of the signs she's teaching is apparently not the "official" ASL signs that you would find on Lifeprint, for example.

She's teaching ASL and SEE signs side-by-side, which is confusing, because you are trying to remember them correctly. There are no books, DVD's or other reference material. So when you try to remember what the new signs were in class that day, you have to look online at Lifeprint (or other resource) and it turns out it doesn't match the sign in class anyway. (Some signs match, not all.)

Then I'm trying to keep up using my hearing, which is a pain. She says the word and signs it. When she said "duck", I thought she said "suck". And why not? It's a sign that is used right next to the mouth, so that makes sense, right?

I'm sorry the class isn't working out well for you. Have you thought about writing down the basic handshape and movement for the different words you are learning to help you remember the signs?

How much longer is the class? Maybe you can try to stick it out a little longer, and take a for-credit ASL class at a community college next?

Get it on video and show me, ill tell ya

Back