Are Drug Users Persecuted?

Dont label or dismiss me as an addict. I am only sharing experiences of physically dependent on opiates.

It didnt cause any of the negative impacts you state. It is the criminalzation and war on drugs that are causing the negatives just like it did with alcohol prohibition.

First of all, it isn't safe. That is a misrepresentation.

Secondly, it has negative social impact.

Third, it has negative individual impact.

Fourth, it has negative family impact.

Shall I go on?

If you want to be an addict, go ahead. But stop condoning it as a way of life for others.

there you go - a chronic user simply has a higher tolerance but what if he injects more than that? he'll OD

He is not injecting to OD, he is injecting to get high. When they get their high they stop

Youre completely wrong. High tolerance prevents OD. A chronic user will will inject an amount that would kill 10 newbies

And it is that overestimation on the dose that causes the OD.

I really believe that I know a bit more about this topic than you do. Not just the physiology of addiction, but also the social consequences.

He is not injecting to OD, he is injecting to get high. When they get their high they stop

You don't seem to understand that when their tolerance reaches a certain point, they can no longer get high. They can only stay out of withdrawal. Their body is completely habituated to the drug. The attempt to create that high is what causes them to inject enough to OD on.

That is not true. You can drive if you have a prescription. Are you saying chronic pain patients should not be allowed to drive?

well - it can turn you into criminal if you crashed. you will be charged with DWI or DUI. That's why morphine has a medical and legal warning - "Patients should exercise caution while driving or performing tasks requiring alertness because it may produce drowsiness."

that's fine. you controlled your behavior. addicts didn't.

That is not true. You can drive if you have a prescription. Are you saying chronic pain patients should not be allowed to drive?

um..... that's not what the laws say. the law says that if you are under influence by ANY SUBSTANCE - including prescription..... and if your driving ability is impaired by ANY SUBSTANCE - including prescription, you should not be driving.

People were impaired or under influence by their prescription and they have crashed. And if they crashed, they will be charged with DWI/DUI and they better hope they didn't kill anybody because that is a homicide charge.

Dont label or dismiss me as an addict. I am only sharing experiences of physically dependent on opiates.

It didnt cause any of the negative impacts you state. It is the criminalzation and war on drugs that are causing the negatives just like it did with alcohol prohibition.

I didn't label you or dismiss you as an addict. You are the one that shared your morphine use with the thread. But you failed to answer my question. Were you abusing morphine illegally, or taking it in doses as prescribed?

So, you didn't stop using morphine because it lowers testosterone levels? Then why did you say you did?

And again, you are not looking at this situation logically. Legalizing drugs does not remove the illegal behavior associated with drug use.

I personally know one guy that OD'ed cause his dope was laced with fentanyl. He didnt even shoot it. He snorted it.

Fentanyl is legal. There you go. You just blew your whole argument.:cool2:

um..... that's not what the laws say. the law says that if you are under influence by ANY SUBSTANCE - including prescription..... and if your driving ability is impaired by ANY SUBSTANCE - including prescription, you should not be driving.

People were impaired or under influence by their prescription and they have crashed. And if they crashed, they will be charged with DWI/DUI and they better hope they didn't kill anybody because that is a homicide charge.

True. The warning label is on the Rx bottle for a reason.

why because you have a psychology degree?

Yeah, psychology is real sucessfull in "treating" "addicts".

Since relapse is the norm, it makes sense to me that the addict has access to pure unadulturated drugs of known strength. Otherwise the addict is being punished for his "disease"

And it is that overestimation on the dose that causes the OD.

I really believe that I know a bit more about this topic than you do. Not just the physiology of addiction, but also the social consequences.

I didn't label you or dismiss you as an addict. You are the one that shared your morphine use with the thread. But you failed to answer my question. Were you abusing morphine illegally, or taking it in doses as prescribed?

So, you didn't stop using morphine because it lowers testosterone levels? Then why did you say you did?

And again, you are not looking at this situation logically. Legalizing drugs does not remove the illegal behavior associated with drug use.

No I didnt abuse them. I did quit because they lower testosterone. So what? I also quit ibuprofen cuz it was messing up my stomach

why because you have a psychology degree?

Yeah, psychology is real sucessfull in "treating" "addicts".

Since relapse is the norm, it makes sense to me that the addict has access to pure unadulturated drugs of known strength. Otherwise the addict is being punished for his "disease"

Relaspse is a feature of the disease, not a feature of treatment. Pure unadulterated heroin will lead to thousands of pure, unadulterated deaths.

No, the addict is not being punished for his disease. The addict is punished for criminal behavior. Drug laws are socially created.

BTW...I have 3 degrees in psychology and am a clinical psychologist.

No I didnt abuse them. I did quit because they lower testosterone. So what? I also quit ibuprofen cuz it was messing up my stomach

Well, there you go. You can't claim that there are no health consequences when you stopped because there are health consequences.

How long have you been clean?

Fentanyl is legal. There you go. You just blew your whole argument.:cool2:

not at all. He didnt get fentanyl from a pharmacy, he bought heroin that was unknowingly laced with fentanyl.

If heroin is legal, theyre not gonna cut it with fentanyl to make it stronger.

Well, there you go. You can't claim that there are no health consequences when you stopped because there are health consequences.

How long have you been clean?

youre not advocating keeping illegal because of testosterone issues.

not at all. He didnt get fentanyl from a pharmacy, he bought heroin that was unknowingly laced with fentanyl.

If heroin is legal, theyre not gonna cut it with fentanyl to make it stronger.

Fallacy. Of course they are going to cut it with anything they can to increase the potency. Why? Because of tolerance. Their body becomes habituated and they can't get high anymore. They start trying to boost the effects by cutting it with other potent narcotics.

You really don't know much about addiction, do you?

youre not advocating keeping illegal because of testosterone issues.

I'm advocating keeping it illegal because of the numerous negative effects over all domains. You, on the other hand, have a very, very narrow perspective.

And you have still contradicted yourself. One one hand, you say there are no negative effects to opiates, and on the other, you say you stopped using opiates because of negative health effects.

Back