Are Drug Users Persecuted?

DS, where I live, drugs are worse at private schools where the kids have money. Many kids from more affluent families are given money and material things without parental supervision and guidance. It's a very bad combination. Those kids would be better off with less affluence and more parenting.

Yep. That old urban myth surrounding drug abuse and addiction is so naive.

Yep. That old urban myth surrounding drug abuse and addiction is so naive.

My little sister's best friend had parents who were absent for days at a time due to jobs. I count her fortunate that she didn't fall prey to drug and stuff.

My little sister's best friend had parents who were absent for days at a time due to jobs. I count her fortunate that she didn't fall prey to drug and stuff.

She had other insulating factors in place, evidently.

Nope, sorry :)

Do you know what common thread certain celebrities have?
Busy, working, absent and often partying parents. Plus bunch of nannies.

May I recommend reading more biographies?

I however would like to point out that I am not saying this is the only reason for drug abuse and addiction, Of course the reasons are various.

Fuzzy

Nope, sorry :)

Do you know what common thread certain celebrities have?
Busy, working, absent and often partying parents. Plus bunch of nannies.

May I recommend reading more biographies?

I however would like to point out that I am not saying this is the only reason for drug abuse and addiction, Of course the reasons are various.

Fuzzy

Sorry Fuzzy. You still don't have a grasp of the dynamic. Seriously, go back to school so you are qualfied to make these conclusions.

She had other insulating factors in place, evidently.

Insulating factors.

I think personality has far more to do with the issue than is usually accredited.

Certain things I noticed in drug addicts but not always in alcoholics.

Refusal to accept responsibility for their part in any of their problems or anything that happens.

Lack of patience. Instant gratification or faster.

Intolerance of solitude. Equating solitude with loneliness and a pressing desire to fill in the gaps with people and/ or noise whether they like the people or not.

What I call POS syndrome. In fact they are the only group of people in the world to see the need to abbreviate such an atrocity because they are the only group who would use it so often. (If you don't know what POS is then your experience with and around drug addicts is extremely superficial. Count yourself lucky.)

Part of it is social and was written about extensively by Henry David Thoreau in the 1800's. Unfortunately for our culture, while his concepts are applauded, they are not emphasized in our society nor in our educational system.

Actually our school system tends to foster the very opposite where education consists, not of learning, but a process where you read a book or Listen to a lecture, take a test, and get a grade.

You might say, "Instant Grade--ification."

I think my last post also holds a clue to why drugs are so attractive you young people.

We go through a stage in our childhood development where PEOPLE - That is our friends and peers nowadays - are more important to us than any other factor in our lives.

At one time this meant family and tribe but modern living where parents are both working and schools take up most of the child's day -- Family, friends, and tribe become THE foreigners.

Our society could adapt to this, but it is impossible to adapt to that which society refuses to recognize.

Hmm, strikes me in the theme of the 'rich and well off kid' turning to drugs - it might be a case of lack of adversity or stimulation from their environment. And in their attempts to find that stimulation their lacking, they find drugs seem to provide it. Which could help explain why two kids from the same family choose different paths, b/c their coping mechanisms might be different for one thing, and their social explorations in finding stimulation results in different 'answers' to what they feel their missing.

Insulating factors.

I think personality has far more to do with the issue than is usually accredited.

Certain things I noticed in drug addicts but not always in alcoholics.

Refusal to accept responsibility for their part in any of their problems or anything that happens.

Lack of patience. Instant gratification or faster.

Intolerance of solitude. Equating solitude with loneliness and a pressing desire to fill in the gaps with people and/ or noise whether they like the people or not.

What I call POS syndrome. In fact they are the only group of people in the world to see the need to abbreviate such an atrocity because they are the only group who would use it so often. (If you don't know what POS is then your experience with and around drug addicts is extremely superficial. Count yourself lucky.)

Part of it is social and was written about extensively by Henry David Thoreau in the 1800's. Unfortunately for our culture, while his concepts are applauded, they are not emphasized in our society nor in our educational system.

Actually our school system tends to foster the very opposite where education consists, not of learning, but a process where you read a book or Listen to a lecture, take a test, and get a grade.

You might say, "Instant Grade--ification."

I see. So, people ought to know when they are around addicts? :roll:

I see. So, people ought to know when they are around addicts? :roll:

I think what Berry is saying is that we need to be aware of and address the social conditions that put all people at greater risk for drug/alcohol abuse and other forms of addictive behaviors.

I think what Berry is saying is that we need to be aware of and address the social conditions that put all people at greater risk for drug/alcohol abuse and other forms of addictive behaviors.

A mighty tall order. :giggle:

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Generally, we don't understand children's developmental needs and we don't meet their emotional needs. Some kids are resilient and they will learn to meet their own needs. Other kids are vulnerable and they will become dysfunctional. Some kids will have mental health issues no matter whether emotional needs are met or not.
Dysfunctional families run on denial and it's crazy-making. On a higher level, societies run on denial. It's dangerous to be the truth-teller. At best, the truth-teller will be labeled crazy and ostericized. At worst, the truth-teller will be destroyed. The system is set up to perpetuate the denial.
Mental health care is woefully lacking in the US. Lately, the system pushes prescription drugs, which makes us more of a drug culture. Some people get their own illegal drugs (prescription or street).
The next generation arrives. Lather, rinse, repeat...

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Generally, we don't understand children's developmental needs and we don't meet their emotional needs. Some kids are resilient and they will learn to meet their own needs. Other kids are vulnerable and they will become dysfunctional. Some kids will have mental health issues no matter whether emotional needs are met or not.
Dysfunctional families run on denial and it's crazy-making. On a higher level, societies run on denial. It's dangerous to be the truth-teller. At best, the truth-teller will be labeled crazy and ostericized. At worst, the truth-teller will be destroyed. The system is set up to perpetuate the denial.
Mental health care is woefully lacking in the US. Lately, the system pushes prescription drugs, which makes us more of a drug culture. Some people get their own illegal drugs (prescription or street).
The next generation arrives. Lather, rinse, repeat...
My dad told me once that I was the most honest member of the family. :P When I told my counseler that she rolled her eyes at what my father said to me.

My dad told me once that I was the most honest member of the family. :P When I told my counseler that she rolled her eyes at what my father said to me.

... was he lying?

(most honest you, then he's not most honest, therefore he can lie...BUT if he lies about your honesty is he the most honest and therefore can't - wait a minute...)

Back