Are deaf people allowed to attend "hearies" school?

I'm puzzled why a question about the ability of deaf students to attend a regular school was even brought up. Like some members here said, it's a common knowledge and has been going on for years, even in 1800s. It's like asking if a hearing person can learn how to sign?

I was mainstreamed for most of my grade school and high school, and during my schooling, I was put into AP and Honours courses with hearies. I don't think being deaf is the reason, but the motivation and desire of deaf individuals to succeed. There are some deafies who are real slackers and will exploit every possible ways to not work hard in school and try to have easy life out of school. However, there are other deaf people who really work so hard to succeed and do well. I was a honour graduate, ranking number 18th out of a class of 600 students, and it was only a proof of how hard I worked to do well. I sound egoistic here, but just trying to prove a point that a deaf person can do so well in a public hearing high school.

I am sure several ADers here have Bachelor's degree... like me, Liza, Katzie, et al for instance. I know of some deaf people who are currently pursuing their masters at a hearing college (Univ. of Utah), and also I am enrolled into pre-med at Univ of Utah this fall. I know of another member here who are in med school as well (I think). Opportunities are there, and deaf people can do it, if they motivate themselves to do it and not let hearies place obstacles on them.

I am enrolled into pre-med at Univ of Utah this fall.
Wow! Congrats...I don't use 'terps in the classroom but, do ID as Deaf....I'm thinking about going to Gally for a master's and even maybe a Ph.D!

Yes, deaf people are allowed to attend any mainstreamed schools. From my perspective as a deaf student attending public high school without support of deaf education, I believe that deaf people should work harder, if they prefer no deaf education then they are challenged in all of regular classes... Reading and English are also the biggest concerns in deaf people and they just have to read A LOT to grasp English skills. I had to prove my public school system that I can able to do well in classrooms without any support from my deaf education teacher by READING A LOT OF BOOKS AND ARTICLES ON THE INTERNET and I did it!

Since I am also physically disabled, I will have to bring my IEP after I finish high school and some professors will not understand why I need my work modified, and if I do too much work, then my neck will be sore as hell.

>>What's ur experience? Did you go to hearing school or deaf school?<<

I was always in hearing world, that means hearing schools, hearing job (esthetician) hearing people around me and a lot of sweat on my part.

I'm puzzled why a question about the ability of deaf students to attend a regular school was even brought up. Like some members here said, it's a common knowledge and has been going on for years, even in 1800s. It's like asking if a hearing person can learn how to sign?

Yeah, well somebody just wrote:

>> But it depends on the city where you live, When I was living in another city, those local schools wouldn't accept deaf students because they cannot afford to hire interpreters for one student, It has to be more than one student to attend to that school for them to be able to hire an all-year interpreter. <<

This is what I was afraid of - that when a deaf person wants to attend ANY school there might be rules and restriction, and therefore despite mainstream idea there are still restrictions. grrr.

Fuzzy

Back