Are deaf people allowed to attend "hearies" school?

Audiofuzzy

Reaction score
I am wondering if profoundly deaf, non-speaking signing only child wanted to go to regular high school (for hearing kids), would it be accepted?
and how about universities or colleges - deaf can apply to Gallaudet's only?

Fuzzy

So what do you mean by allowing deaf to attend hearing schools? I think that has been going on for years.

I have met some profound deaf students at RIT who told me that they went to hearing schools. Some of them had interpreters while others didn't and had to sweat it through the grade levels.
According to ADA laws nowadays, any deaf are allow to attend any school - deaf or hearing. The schools are required to provide assistance to their educations such as interpreters, note takers, etc.

That's old news... Yes, deafies are allowed to go to hearing school. That's called mainstream.

Thanks,

and are they required to complete the regular school program, like everybody else or they have "custom" made program?

Fuzzy

Audiofuzzy said:

Fuzzy

All colleges should accept the deaf regardless and upon request or ask those deaf students if they need assistance they should provide them.

After I left RIT and a year later I enrolled at a local DeVry college, I requested interpreters and notetakers and got them until I graduated with Bachelor's Degree. Then couple of months later, I enrolled at Keller Graduate School of Management for Masters Degree, I did the same thing and am receiving them now. :)

wow!!

i'm so impressed!

my congratulations to a holder of Bachelor Degree!

Fuzzy

Audiofuzzy said:
Thanks,

and are they required to complete the regular school program, like everybody else or they have "custom" made program?

Fuzzy
They do have those "custom" programs. I think they shouldn't have those programs and be treated as everyone else. I grew up in mainstream school and was treated like everyone else. I did have my grades modified a couple of times without my knowledge. It was horrible. :roll:

It like if Black are allow to white school ?

Is Mexican must learn english before they can enter school?

I am sure there is one (or several) person who can explain more here, but I dont have better way to explain the "IEP". There are some special program for the deaf students. Parents can require or request their child to have one.

Well it depends. Some students don't need any special ed/resource room classes, and others do. I did not need resource room except for math (and handwriting and spelling in elementary school) Virtually ALL dhh kids are eligable for things like notetakers, terps etc.

I think they shouldn't have those programs and be treated as everyone else
Yeah, but Vampy those are what allows us to have things like notetakers, 'terps etc.
I do think that the adminstration of an IEP should be handled differently for kids with classic disabilties (blindness, hearing loss, wheelchair users, and autisum) then for kids with ADD, LDs etc.

Audiofuzzy said:
I am wondering if profoundly deaf, non-speaking signing only child wanted to go to regular high school (for hearing kids), would it be accepted?

Fuzzy

I'm just curious. How come you are unaware about the ability of the deafs mainstreaming with the hearings? I may be wrong but it's pretty common knowledge among everyone, esp deaf population.

I mainstreamed all throughout public schools.. never went to a deaf school. They do have "custom" program. It just depends on what level (education) you're on. Several of my classmates had to stay in the same room for special ed. all day long.. I changed classes at different periods just like everybody else. I even took a high school graduation exam just like everybody else. I went to a university that was full of hearing, had no problem. I had an interpreter with me all times. I went to Gallaudet and learned a lot about deaf culture and loved it. Still do! Any deaf person can do anything.. anything they want to do with their life we just have to work harder.

Oh yeah...almost forgot. Kids with classic disabilties should have to test into the mainstream. I see too many kids with classic disabilties who fall through the cracks b/c they were automaticly sent to their neighborhood school, or a general Head Start/general disabilties EI.
Yes, school should be free and schools shouldn't discriminate...but on the other hand most public schools do not have the appropraite programs for kids with classic disabilties.

Bad News

Individual Education Plans (IEPs) are supposed to be developed and reviewed annually for EVERY special ed student. The problem is that IEPs are going to struggle to get special education students up to grade level as required by No Child Left Behind. I know that IDEA and NCLB are both federal laws, but the conflict between them won't be solved anytime soon....not in DC anyway. In the meantime, these students may not see the quality of their education improve and suffer because of it for years.

So there is many possibilities for deaf ppl,
if they only want to study they can achieve anything! because they are allowed to!

>>I'm just curious. How come you are unaware about the ability of the deafs mainstreaming with the hearings? I may be wrong but it's pretty common knowledge among everyone, esp deaf population.<<

That's because I am HOH and my involvement with deaf culture was too brief to know things, and when I searched Google the sites that popped up were so long and technical I got sleepy just looking at them :)

I'd rather go for the best source right away - yall !!

Fuzzy

hehehe sweet audio, im a graduate of two different schools, one's a mainstream up til the 9th grade, and then my last three yrs i went on to California School for the Deaf Fremont Ca, graduating 1991 and u know what. back then it was tough for me but i made it, and yes IEP ( invidvualized Education programs) and IDEA and NCLB ( dunno what that last one was abt) under the FAPE PL 94-142 requires a FAPE which stands for Free and Approptiate(sp) Public Education, or the LRE which is a Least Restrictive Education Setting. So in other words we're required to get any or ALL education at every level, now that the no child act law has been implemented ur right it will create havoc because of the overcrowding of the students in the grade schools, but all the same we should have Every right to have Good education other wise i ll be eating my shoes if they just allow the kids fall thru the cracks over and over, i wish that these educational settings didn't waste thier time on non credtional classes and really slam it in for the Future kids too many got by and too many seem to not know or is islolated thru life, got a friend that was yanked out of school at 16 and never went back she didn't learn sign and didn't learn how to read til recently she's still learning in EVERY way... the Mayor of this island wanted her to be the ward of the states and they said NO because she lived life and is still part of life in every way. it's hard for her but shes in her 60s and lost alot all thru out her life cuz she had to take care of her dad when her mom passed on.

be grateful u got good education coming along and help the little ones who NEED the help now...

mainstream or Schools for the Deaf as long as u get good education and is well aware of life ahead of you then u ll be glad u made the right choice!

Audiofuzzy where are you from? Just curious...
I went to a mainstream school all of my life. I did have an IEP. I went to all regular classes except english in elementary and middle school but in high school, only vocabulary. However, I was very disappointed in my deaf ed teacher when I got into college cuz I found out that she taught me too low level. Like when I was in high school, she was giving me 6th and 7th grade vocabulary. Its not that I couldn't do it... I can! But she just didn't wanna waste her time to find right sign language for big words... such as.... surreal... or.... titantic. I was so mad when I found the old book she copied from... I saw the book cover said 6th and 7th. I found it in the library at my college.
Anyways, someone said they don't know what NCLB (No Child Left Behind) is... its where anyone who wants to be a teacher (like me) has to take more science, english, history and math than what was previously required so that they can be "highly qualified" to teach their subject. That way the teacher can teach the best so that no child is left behind. I did have to take all those extra classes before I graduated. I am now a "highly qualified" teacher and this fall I will be teaching deaf kids. I am gonna challenge them more than my deaf ed teacher did. I am not gonna let them get away with the things my deaf ed teacher did.

Sure, Deaf people can go to hearing schools, But it depends on the city where you live, When I was living in another city, those local schools wouldn't accept deaf students because they cannot afford to hire interpreters for one student, It has to be more than one student to attend to that school for them to be able to hire an all-year interpreter.

So I went to the one in Beachwood, which had a few deaf students there also, They hired about 3/4 different interpreters. I was in mainstream school in my high school years, But when growing up I was mostly in hearing schools without interpreters. :)

Audiofuzzy said:
So there is many possibilities for deaf ppl,
if they only want to study they can achieve anything! because they are allowed to!

>>I'm just curious. How come you are unaware about the ability of the deafs mainstreaming with the hearings? I may be wrong but it's pretty common knowledge among everyone, esp deaf population.<<

That's because I am HOH and my involvement with deaf culture was too brief to know things, and when I searched Google the sites that popped up were so long and technical I got sleepy just looking at them :)

I'd rather go for the best source right away - yall !!

Fuzzy

What's ur experience? Did you go to hearing school or deaf school?

Back