Are Deaf Child road signs embarrassing?

that's why we have cops at school zones during rush hour.

They are also in the main city... but in little villages or small towns they only have them on main roads or along side the school

Near schools they also have bumps which are meant to slow down drivers. Most of them do, unfortunately few don't really care!!!!! :mad2:

What is the normal driving protocol when one sees this sign?

If one honks their horn--isn't that defeating the purpose especially if the child is deaf and can't hear the horn? :giggle:

I think one has to flash their lights when going through......:hmm:

I have to check on that.

What is the normal driving protocol when one sees this sign?

If one honks their horn--isn't that defeating the purpose especially if the child is deaf and can't hear the horn? :giggle:

I think one has to flash their lights when going through......:hmm:

I have to check on that.

and also to not angrily spurt out - "WTF? ARE YOU DEAF OR SOMETHING?" :lol:

I don't see the purpose. People should be watching for kids rather they can hear, see, or not.

Some kids would just run across the street without looking anyway.

I don't see the purpose. People should be watching for kids rather they can hear, see, or not.

Some kids would just run across the street without looking anyway.

that sign is placed there upon request (by overly-concerned parents).

I've seen signs that says "Deaf child at play". It's not embarrassing, the reason signs are posted is just to warn drivers that there are deaf children in that area, and to processed with caution. You know deaf children can't hear cars passing by, so that's the purpose of why the sign is posted. ;)

I grew up in a rural area where they had the sign saying "Deaf Child in Area". I didn't think it was embarrassing because it was just something I had got used to; to see that sign every day on the road front of my father's house.

I mean, It wasn't like anything that makes it seem like it is special case. I remember when I was younger, I asked my dad why the sign was there. He explained that it was for my safety and he also assured me that even though the sign is there, I still always have to watch the road in case I cross over it because sometime you know, there's some crazy drivers that doesn't give a damn about these signs.

I can say that it didn't diminish my self esteem at all. In fact, It made me felt a little bit safe knowing that other drivers are on watch for that.

The sign is now no longer there because there's no reason for it to be there, lol.

No I dont think it is. It's about protection.

In Bend, Tigard and the area used to have no sign for Deaf Child Area until my family moved in from Washington. I was a young child with a lack of education, all thanks to schools who neglected my needs, and I now learned how to look at both of sides before crossing the street. But I was not always to remember to look two sides first, so I tend to hang out with my neighbors and friends who could hear the noise. So, the manager decided to add a new sign for my safety. You see, the manager told my family that she/he learned a new something that manager never thought of the deafness. S/he THANKED my family for the new safety tip. Now, it is pretty much better. :)

Embarrassing? Nope, not at all. It's just about protection.

I've seen signs that says "Deaf child at play". It's not embarrassing, the reason signs are posted is just to warn drivers that there are deaf children in that area, and to processed with caution. You know deaf children can't hear cars passing by, so that's the purpose of why the sign is posted. ;)

Yep yep. That's right. :)

I guess my mother didn't have to worry about me. We didn't have a sign like that. even though I kept going to my neighbors. I know how to watch for things like this sometimes

At an apt. complex where a friend of mine lives, they have a sign that says: "Caution, Blind Child at PLay".....It confused me! I asked my friend...why would anyone in their right mind leave a blind child outside to play? With no supervision.....Duh??

I see a very few "Deaf Child at Play", or similiar signs here....but in reality, I think that the neighborhood just wants everybody to slow down!! But all in all, why would ANY CHILD be playing in the middle of the street?

At an apt. complex where a friend of mine lives, they have a sign that says: "Caution, Blind Child at PLay".....It confused me! I asked my friend...why would anyone in their right mind leave a blind child outside to play? With no supervision.....Duh??

I see a very few "Deaf Child at Play", or similiar signs here....but in reality, I think that the neighborhood just wants everybody to slow down!! But all in all, why would ANY CHILD be playing in the middle of the street?

Riding bikes, skating, crossing street to get to friends. Lots of reasons for kids to be in the street.

The elementary school that I went to had that sign.

I don't think it's embarrassing. I think it's important that the sign is there.

Not only deaf kids, but all elementary school kids tend to act before thinking. That means they're likely to go running after a ball when it rolls across the street. They're likely to go running after something. With hearing kids, they usually hear cars coming... but not deaf kids.

Question about this matter: Are those signs only near deaf schools or other areas too? Are parents allowed to ask for one of those signs to be put up at the corner of the street they live in?

I don't believe one should be find it embarrassing to have "Deaf Child in Area" signs in neighborhoods. I think it helps one to be aware that there could be deaf child(ren) playing on the roads.

In the city near me, where there is a residence school for the deaf is located have tons of "Deaf Child in Area" signs all over the city. I have seen several signs in nearby cities.

I just checked Google Maps and noticed that the sign still stands near where my former driver still had the sign up even her deaf son is over 20 now, but she probably kept it up in case her son gets out on the road on his own.

Question about this matter: Are those signs only near deaf schools or other areas too? Are parents allowed to ask for one of those signs to be put up at the corner of the street they live in?
No, anyone could ask to have one put near their houses. In the county in Tennessee where I used to live in will put them up if asked for one at taxpayers' expenses. Perhaps they have to be approved by the children doctors?

I think the reason my parents did not ask for one was that there were always people looking out after me.

There was one close to my house growing up but it was not put in for me, that I know of anyway. I didn't like that it pointed out where I lived to my elementary school classmates. I lived in an area within an Amish community and thus I was always asked if I was Amish. Go figure.

Not always in the middle of the street, there are some areas where they do not have sidewalks, so they use the street to get by. They can't ride their bikes on the grass :lol:

Only I would concern if that sign is already years old as child already grow up and move out. While the sign still there. What the?

Back