Apple

Really, another case. I hope that Psystar wins another case. I read the newspaper last year (?), and it does not mention that it needs another case. Thanks, Foxrac.

I hope that all computer manufacturers will clean out the toxic stuff and send the bad ones to China with no return back to our country.

Why does you want Psystar to win? You don't understand about Apple has FULL rights to be exclusive since Apple is combined with hardware and software company and Apple was heavily suffered in 90's during Mac clone and almost went to bankruptcy, without Apple then PC will be 100% market.

For 2nd paragraph, call your congressmen.

I am reading this thread with interest as I am much in the same boat as zerodog too in looking for a good computer as my PC is 8yrs old and is on the way out. I have looked at a few PC and IMAC and am still making up my mind which one to get as I am not a computer expert. I think IMAC look good but I am curious about my scanner and printer which is new since last year. Can I still use them if I get an IMAC? At the shop that sell Mac, all I see is a monitor, a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse but no HD tower, unless the shop hid the tower under the desk. :dunno:
My hubby likes a hp PC with touch screen monitor but I am not all keen about touch screen cos of cleaning fingerprints off all over it would be a pain. I am gonna keep looking around to see whats out there to give me some ideas the starting point to look for and prices range. I may be back again later with more questions. :D

Why does you want Psystar to win? You don't understand about Apple has FULL rights to be exclusive since Apple is combined with hardware and software company and Apple was heavily suffered in 90's during Mac clone and almost went to bankruptcy, without Apple then PC will be 100% market.

I like the Apple most of all. Some people simply cannot afford to buy an Apple computer, and they really wanted to get one. They just have to buy an IBM PC. Many of them will buy the Apple for their next purchase.

My opinion is that Steve Jobs should sell the OS software to clone Apple users. Bill Gate made a huge profit by selling his software to all computers including Apple computers. In that way, Steve Jobs would have made a big profit, too. Nothing is wrong with that. He should not be too greedy just one straight Apple stuff in his business. In fact, he made a huge profit by selling iPods which is compatible with both Apple and newer IBM computers. I am not an iPod user.

A PowerComputing Company sold its Apple clones computers to many customers in the old days. It was a hot popular. This company made a huge profit. The president of the PowerComputing became too greedy later, and he did not pay back to Apple which was a long overdue. Finally, Apple busted and stripped the PowerComputing Company which was a good thing. I met the PC president in person at the expo, and we were aware that he was greedy and not friendly person. The president signed the Apple contract without thinking because he was a foreigner which he thought that the country is a free... anything he wanted. He lives in Texas and has some millions of dollars left in his bank. He is still rich. Oh boy.

I may think that Psystar would support Apple in the business in some way. I really cannot say about it. Beside, I hope that Pystar will be an honest company. If not, then Psystar will be destroyed...

Yes, I did a few years ago. I am an Apple stockholder for the proxy vote.

I like the Apple most of all. Some people simply cannot afford to buy an Apple computer, and they really wanted to get one. They just have to buy an IBM PC. Many of them will buy the Apple for their next purchase.

My opinion is that Steve Jobs should sell the OS software to clone Apple users. Bill Gate made a huge profit by selling his software to all computers including Apple computers. In that way, Steve Jobs would have made a big profit, too. Nothing is wrong with that. He should not be too greedy just one straight Apple stuff in his business. In fact, he made a huge profit by selling iPods which is compatible with both Apple and newer IBM computers. I am not an iPod user.

A PowerComputing Company sold its Apple clones computers to many customers in the old days. It was a hot popular. This company made a huge profit. The president of the PowerComputing became too greedy later, and he did not pay back to Apple which was a long overdue. Finally, Apple busted and stripped the PowerComputing Company which was a good thing. I met the PC president in person at the expo, and we were aware that he was greedy and not friendly person. The president signed the Apple contract without thinking because he was a foreigner which he thought that the country is a free... anything he wanted. He lives in Texas and has some millions of dollars left in his bank. He is still rich. Oh boy.

I may think that Psystar would support Apple in the business in some way. I really cannot say about it. Beside, I hope that Pystar will be an honest company. If not, then Psystar will be destroyed...

Yes, I did a few years ago. I am an Apple stockholder for the proxy vote.

MS is SOFTWARE business but Apple is HARDWARE and SOFTWARE business, that's big difference.

Without any hardware, Apple would unable to make more profits as MS does and will lose to compete if Apple allows Mac clone.

You need look at Apple's history about situation with Mac clone, it's more serious than you thought and they could face bankruptcy, when they goes bankruptcy then there would be no more Mac OS.

MS is SOFTWARE business but Apple is HARDWARE and SOFTWARE business, that's big difference.

Without any hardware, Apple would unable to make more profits as MS does and will lose to compete if Apple allows Mac clone.

You need look at Apple's history about situation with Mac clone, it's more serious than you thought and they could face bankruptcy, when they goes bankruptcy then there would be no more Mac OS.

Yes, that's right. Actually, the computer companies have to pay a license to get his software in order to sell the computers to several stores. Bill was brilliant to do that in the old days. (Steve copied similar Bill's idea for the Apple license. See last paragraph.)

Bill convinced a president of IBM PC company to sign his "lifetime" contract, and it made him so rich. In a few years later, the president of IBM PC was stunned to learn that his business was so successful.

Any parts on IBM PC have to follow the MS's operating system to make them work properly. Let's say that he changes some of its operating system that won't work with older IBM PC so the companies have to buy new computers plus pay more for Bill's new license. See what I mean that Bill controlled and made money. One time, his rights were violated because he does not let other small business owners to run it. Somehow, he was waived by the judge. I don't remember the whole story. Maybe, the judge likes IBM PC better. I dunno. That was a long time ago.

It is the same way that Psystar's parts did not work with Job's operating system. Somehow, Pystar discovered a way to make them work properly. I didn't read the part how he found a way. If you know the answer, then let me know sometimes, but not now.

Yes, that's right. Actually, the computer companies have to pay a license to get his software in order to sell the computers to several stores. Bill was brilliant to do that in the old days. (Steve copied similar Bill's idea for the Apple license. See last paragraph.)

Bill convinced a president of IBM PC company to sign his "lifetime" contract, and it made him so rich. In a few years later, the president of IBM PC was stunned to learn that his business was so successful.

Any parts on IBM PC have to follow the MS's operating system to make them work properly. Let's say that he changes some of its operating system that won't work with older IBM PC so the companies have to buy new computers plus pay more for Bill's new license. See what I mean that Bill controlled and made money. One time, his rights were violated because he does not let other small business owners to run it. Somehow, he was waived by the judge. I don't remember the whole story. Maybe, the judge likes IBM PC better. I dunno. That was a long time ago.

It is the same way that Psystar's parts did not work with Job's operating system. Somehow, Pystar discovered a way to make them work properly. I didn't read the part how he found a way. If you know the answer, then let me know sometimes, but not now.

Ugh, you don't understand about business role of Apple.

Psystar use modified Mac OS, that's part of copyright violation and not hardware reliable for PC to run.

the g5 is a lovely machine, albeit old.

as for this mac vs. clone thing, i'm all for mac os on third party machines. aside from the logic board (mobo to you pc lovers), the rest of the machine is essentially taken from other parts that are used on pcs. the major difference between the two oses is that mac is a unix build.

the only way that macs would survive another clone war (har har) is to create a consistently better machine than their counterparts. if a clone makes it cheap, they won't be able to make it as environmentally friendly as their mac counterparts. when macs were competing against the clones in the 90s, all the machines were essentially plastic crap machines. you couldn't tell them apart.

Koala said:
Can I still use them if I get an IMAC?

you can go to the manufacturer's website and see if they have a driver for mac and download it for free. this will run your printer and scanner on the mac just fine.

At the shop that sell Mac, all I see is a monitor, a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse but no HD tower, unless the shop hid the tower under the desk.

the computer itself is stored inside the monitor. it's perfect for smaller spaces. it really is a nice machine.

My hubby likes a hp PC with touch screen monitor but I am not all keen about touch screen cos of cleaning fingerprints off all over it would be a pain.

you can buy the mac mini for about $700 (the better one) and get the glorious wacom cintiq.

it uses a pen that you control the mouse with so you can draw on the screen, and do whatever. therefore, it solves the whole fingerprints on the screen dillemma.

or tell him to buy a modbook. this way he can use his laptop and you don't have to worry about his grubby hands all over your beautiful screen! :cool2:

Also if in case about Apple lose in lawsuit then they will written Mac OS in TPM and would be impossible to get work on non-Mac, all Intel Mac support TPM but Apple haven't use it for OS yet.

verasch, Koala is from Australia and the prices varies down here. This is just FYI.

I am reading this thread with interest as I am much in the same boat as zerodog too in looking for a good computer as my PC is 8yrs old and is on the way out.

Time for a new screen! :cool2:

I have looked at a few PC and IMAC and am still making up my mind which one to get as I am not a computer expert. I think IMAC look good but I am curious about my scanner and printer which is new since last year. Can I still use them if I get an IMAC?

Yes, it will work, just fine, a couple of drivers then vice versa, it will co-operate.

At the shop that sell Mac, all I see is a monitor, a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse but no HD tower, unless the shop hid the tower under the desk. :dunno:

Like the other person said, the computer itself, is inside the monitor. Clever, huh?

My hubby likes a hp PC with touch screen monitor but I am not all keen about touch screen cos of cleaning fingerprints off all over it would be a pain. I am gonna keep looking around to see whats out there to give me some ideas the starting point to look for and prices range. I may be back again later with more questions. :D

A lot of computers can be good, but depends how good it is. But what the other person suggested is the Mac Mini which is a mini computer - picture below

Apple-mac-mini.jpg

This is the computer, yes - it is small. but very good machine. My grandparents owns one and they love it!

You can plug in ANY LCD monitor, such as Dell monitor, it will work, in the mac mini package, it will include a special VGA input to connect the Dell Monitor or other PC monitors. Mac mini works with any keyboard and mouse, best way to get a USB wireless keyboard and mouse, so therefore, hassle free with these messy wires!

Example

mini.jpg

This uses the apple keyboard and mouse though.

Mac have excellent software in it, such as an exmaple I can give, iPhoto, is an excellent one, it will store any photos you import from the camera, and will be automatically saved for you once imported. Imovie, is another, you can edit movies anytime in a professional way if you wish. the Mac OS is very simple and quick to learn.

Hope your search finds the perfect computer :cool2:

I'm looking into buying a Mac Mini sometime as well. :)

Yep, I found some intel based Mac Mini for under $400. :) Throw in a 22" LCD widescreen and bam you got a nice speedy computer for the buck.

Apple suffered because Apple refused to share licenses to others. Because of that - their products were too expensive. When their money was dwindling down... they desperately licensed some of their stuff to a few for mac clones but it was too late.

I'm very amazed that they came back from dead and now they've got a big muscle! :-o

Yep, I found some intel based Mac Mini for under $400. :) Throw in a 22" LCD widescreen and bam you got a nice speedy computer for the buck.

Yep, there you go, better huh? Any LCD screen - it'll work, no worries.

i have had a PC for 12 years (since 97) and it still works fine, just out of date... but, i also have a new laptop vista

I own Mini Mac and it's connection to 42" LCD. Perfect for hulu.com, itunes, dvd player, xmeeting, etc.. :)

Thanks Verasch and JClarke for your reply to my post. I have been back to the shop again to take another look at IMAC and yes, I agree that they are very nice. I loves it. I think I will get IMAC with 24" screen after I come back from Bali. :D

Back