Apple announces new iPhone 5 at live event!

I wait to buy a new iphone 5 till January 2013. :)

*Watching CNET's Apple event live blog*.. now, time is 9:24 am. Overcrowd People line up for waiting open door to enter.

I noticed someone posted it "FYI: For Verizon customers who bought a 4S on launch date, you're upgrade pricing is still a year away. AT&T customers can upgrade in 6 months"

http://live.cnet.com/Event/CNETs_Apple_event_live_blog_Wednesday_September_12

"802.11 a/b/g/n, 802.11n 2.4GHz & 5GHz up to 150Mbps" for iPhone 5... wow, I think facetime won't choppy video.

"Mansfield says that LTE can be faster than Wi-Fi at home. Noting some of the chip changes the company used to shrink down the phone"

Last edited:
Apple - iPhone 5 - View countries with supported LTE networks.

US AT&T gets Model A1428 (GSM model)

US Sprint and Verizon gets Model A1429 (CDMA model)

Europe iphone gets Model A1429 (GSM model)

But, what about LTE bands? It seems that CDMA model has more LTE bands than GSM model. I find it odd. I need to understand how LTE band works. :ty:

Can anyone with IT experience explain this?

Nice finally it is out. Specs do not look bad, it is better than 4S. Definitely good upgrade.

But, what about LTE bands? It seems that CDMA model has more LTE bands than GSM model. I find it odd. I need to understand how LTE band works. :ty: Can anyone with IT experience explain this?

Do not worry about the # of bands. It is just different frequency # for that USA carrier. Each carrier uses different frequency, but only one USA GSM network (AT&T) will carry iPhone 5 so only AT&T's LTE frequency is on that GSM model. AT&T is LTE Band 17.

For the CDMA model it is also including the LTE-CDMA carriers in Japan, that is why there are so many LTE bands with it.
Cellular frequencies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is interesting, it is possible the Europe iPhone 5 may work for T-mobile but only for one frequency. It is missing the 1700MHz for full UMTS-HSPA support.

This is great news, but it’s important to note your plan isn’t truly unlimited. When you hit the new 5GB limit, AT&T will throttle your 4G LTE speed for the remainder of your billing cycle. Prior to these changes, customers were throttled after 3GB of data usage.

The bad news is, if you decide to keep your current unlimited data plan with AT&T, you won’t be able to take advantage of FaceTime over Cellular in iOS 6. The native iOS 6 feature will only be available with AT&T’s new Mobile Share plans.

Keep Your AT&T Unlimited Data Plan When You Get The iPhone 5 -- AppAdvice

I still have grandfathered data plan on iPhone 4 but I don't know about FaceTime over cellular for TAP plan???

*Watching CNET's Apple event live blog*.. now, time is 9:24 am. Overcrowd People line up for waiting open door to enter.

I noticed someone posted it "FYI: For Verizon customers who bought a 4S on launch date, you're upgrade pricing is still a year away. AT&T customers can upgrade in 6 months"

CNET's Apple event live blog (Wednesday, September 12) | CNET

"802.11 a/b/g/n, 802.11n 2.4GHz & 5GHz up to 150Mbps" for iPhone 5... wow, I think facetime won't choppy video.

"Mansfield says that LTE can be faster than Wi-Fi at home. Noting some of the chip changes the company used to shrink down the phone"

In bold, you have to pay $250 fee to do early upgrade.

It looks like I have to reverse my decision about switch to Verizon after learned from some university students have Verizon phone with LTE capable, many of them only got 3G instead of LTE because of problem with Verizon towers. They did complained to Verizon and they said oh well, it is depending on region. Some of them said LTE is very congested so they only got less than 1 mbps during peak business.

I'm going sticking with at&t because better transition between 3G and LTE, also I will still pay $50 per month for TAP (5 GB, include tethering), however switch to Verizon will going cost $70+ per month for 2 GB data with tethering.

I will get iPhone 5 and plan to pre-order soon.

Me? My 2 yrs contract has been expired. I'm ready to switch iPhone 5 soon.

I just say you as general.

I refer at&t customers as "you".

You aren't at&t customer so don't worry. :lol:

It looks like I have to reverse my decision about switch to Verizon after learned from some university students have Verizon phone with LTE capable, many of them only got 3G instead of LTE because of problem with Verizon towers. They did complained to Verizon and they said oh well, it is depending on region. Some of them said LTE is very congested so they only got less than 1 mbps during peak business.

I'm going sticking with at&t because better transition between 3G and LTE, also I will still pay $50 per month for TAP (5 GB, include tethering), however switch to Verizon will going cost $70+ per month for 2 GB data with tethering.

I confuse about your 5GB plan for TAP. TAP says $70/mo for 5GB plan. Or you have shared data plan?
Text Accessibility Plans for iPhone® - Wireless from AT&T

Last edited:
No, Facetime over cellular will not covered under TAP right now.

OK, I can got FaceTime over cellular app from Cydia (jailbreak) when I will get iPhone 5. I will plan to pre-order it soon but i don't hear from Sprint about FaceTime over cellular on Sprint iPhone5. Do you know about it?

OK, I can got FaceTime over cellular app from Cydia (jailbreak) when I will get iPhone 5. I will plan to pre-order it soon but i don't hear from Sprint about FaceTime over cellular on Sprint iPhone5. Do you know about it?

I consider about the option: jailbroken iphone.

I thought verizon has alot of LTE towers???

It will be while to jailbroken the iPhone 5.

Sprint doesn't have a lot of LTE and they only have congested 3G that won't good for FaceTime.

Back