anyone with diabetes?

lovezebras

Reaction score
Diabetes runs in my family and I have had and do have symptoms in the past of diabetes but when I get tested with the blood test it comes back negative... A friend of mine told me it isn't bad if I want to test my own sugar levels myself since most meters are free you just have to buy the other stuff to go along with it...so what all do I need and how the heck do I do it? lol

deafskeptic is diabetic.

My husband was diabetic. Let's see if I can remember.
- you put a new "needle" in the "pricker"
- you put a test strip in the meter
- You prick you finger then squeeze out a drop of blood and put the test strip on the drop of blood.
- wait for the meter to read the test strip and tell you what your reading is.
- dispose of the test strip & "needle" in a safe way

Test strips are not cheap.

deafskeptic is diabetic.

- You prick you finger then squeeze out a drop of blood and put the test strip on the drop of blood.

so all you need are the meter, test strips, and a pricker and the needles for the pricker? hahaha I feel that these are not the proper diabetic terms but what can you do...lol also I believe that my insurance would prob pay for the test strips I would imagine..

so all you need are the meter, test strips, and a pricker and the needles for the pricker? hahaha I feel that these are not the proper diabetic terms but what can you do...lol also I believe that my insurance would prob pay for the test strips I would imagine..
You probably would get everything with the meter (though not a lot of the needles & test strips) to get you started. I'd say just get the meter "kit" and try it out. Then if you decide you want to continue doing, buy more of the needles/strips. I'd also check with your insurance first. Since you're not diabetic YET, they may not want to pay...

Check this out: http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/blood-glucose-meters.html?utm_source=WWW&utm_medium=ContentPage&utm_content=LWT2D&utm_campaign=CON

In order for the insurance pay for the lancet and or test strips you will have to have a Doctors Prescription. Not sure how they do it in Canada.

My boyfriend's son has type 1 diabetes. Had it since he was 6 years old. He uses an infusion pump to maintain his diabetes.

In order for the insurance pay for the lancet and or test strips you will have to have a Doctors Prescription. Not sure how they do it in Canada.

My boyfriend's son has type 1 diabetes. Had it since he was 6 years old. He uses an infusion pump to maintain his diabetes.

Lancet...thanks for reminding me what the "pricker needle" is called. :D It's been almost 2 years since I've had to deal with my husband's diabetic supplies.

I believe things are sold seperately with diabetes equipment ..If I'm not mistaken this is the lancets and the strips? and the pricker is called a "lancing" device? lol

deafskeptic is diabetic.

You're absolutely right on about everything, especially that the testing strips are not cheap.

The needle is a lancet. It's not a big needle at all. I had such trouble with that at first (not the name, but just even using the darned thing.)

**I am not diabetic. I have a cat who I learned in March is diabetic. And for everything I have learned, I have learned that diabetes is one thing that cats and humans share in terms of testing, equipment, readings, blood sugar levels, etc. It's all the same.**

So, this has been a learning experience for me as well. She currently gets 8 units of insulin, 2x a day.

my cousin's son have diabetes, also I have my grandma's brother have diabetes I know I notice few my frineds have insultin is problem cause automatic calories, sugar to high because easy sleep and fatigue, can't sleep,! I was volunteer diabetic community I am experience! I tell you

You're absolutely right on about everything, especially that the testing strips are not cheap.

The needle is a lancet. It's not a big needle at all. I had such trouble with that at first (not the name, but just even using the darned thing.)

**I am not diabetic. I have a cat who I learned in March is diabetic. And for everything I have learned, I have learned that diabetes is one thing that cats and humans share in terms of testing, equipment, readings, blood sugar levels, etc. It's all the same.**

So, this has been a learning experience for me as well. She currently gets 8 units of insulin, 2x a day.

My dachshund had diabetes, too. I had to give her 4 units 2x a day. Whenever my mother went on vacation, I take vacation to stay at home with the dog and decreased the dose by one unit. My mother loved to give her cheese or bit of bread hence the higher doses.

I, too, have type II diabetes. I keep it in check with metformin.

Hypoglycemic here, but I don't check my BGLs like I should. My friend suspects that I am full-on diabetic, I just haven't gotten properly tested yet. She says I will end up in a diabetic shock before anyone will take it seriously likely.

Yes that is correct for testing for diabetes. My meter only cost me 3 dollars because my doctor prescribed it.

deafskeptic is diabetic.

As for test strips, if you don't have a prescription for it; it can cost close to 80 dollars for a single bottle of test strips. I have a prescription for it and it cost me only $10.

I wonder how you test cats for blood sugar. I don't think they'd take kindly to having blood drawn.

I wonder how you test cats for blood sugar. I don't think they'd take kindly to having blood drawn.

I don't test my dog for blood sugar. Just gave her the 4 units dose mornings and evenings. My dog got tested for blood sugar once in a while by the vet.

They don't. :lol: that's why I was mentioning the trouble in even using the home testing. We gave it up recently and are having the vets do it from now on. They just did last week, and her numbers were still awful, but the best we've seen, so all we can do is keep on working on it, make sure she gets her daily shots.

I don't test my dog for blood sugar. Just gave her the 4 units dose mornings and evenings. My dog got tested for blood sugar once in a while by the vet.

Hypoglycemic here, but I don't check my BGLs like I should. My friend suspects that I am full-on diabetic, I just haven't gotten properly tested yet. She says I will end up in a diabetic shock before anyone will take it seriously likely.

If you are hypoglycemic, then you are not diabetic. Hypoglycemic is the opposit of diabetes. Your pancreas dumps too much insulin or you do not eat enough to keep your sugar maintained. Diabetes is when the pancreas does not produce insulin. So if you are naturally hypoglycemic with out injecting insulin then you are not diabetic.

Diabetes becomes hypoglycemic from injecting more insulin than their body needs. My stepson sometimes become hypoglycemic because he doesn't always count his carbs before he eats, and he overcorrects with insulin. So we just give him a small box juicey juice to bring his Blood Glucose back to 70 or above.

By Jenilee Matz, M.P.H., Staff Writer

You may think you can't live without your cell phone or handheld computer. But if you have diabetes, a blood glucose meter is truly the one gadget your life depends on.

What is a blood glucose meter?
A blood glucose meter is a device that measures the amount of glucose in your blood. It is a portable, battery-powered tool that calculates your glucose level quickly - usually in less than a minute.

Most require you to prick your skin with a skin-pricking device called a lancet and place a droplet of blood onto a test strip. The test strip is inserted into the glucose meter and the meter measures your blood sugar level. Your blood glucose reading will then appear on the screen of the meter.

It's important to purchase a good meter, use it correctly, and check your blood sugar as often as your doctor directs. Keep a record of your blood sugar levels. This will help you and your doctor see if your diabetes treatment plan is working.

1. How to use the meter correctly
To use your meter, follow these steps:

Wash your hands and dry them well. Also wash the skin surface where you will do the testing.
Get your glucose meter ready. Each meter works differently, so make sure you follow the directions carefully to get accurate results. Practice with your doctor or diabetes educator before you bring the meter home.
Find out where on your body you can use your meter. Some only work on the fingertip. Others allow you to test on other places as well, such as the hand, arm or thigh.
Prepare your lancet. Again, each type is different so read the directions and practice before you use it.
Place the lancet on your skin and push the button. Do not prick the same place each time. When using the fingers, aim for the side of the fingertip, not the top. The side is usually less sensitive and does not bruise as easily.
Place the top of blood on the test strip.
Follow the rest of the instructions that come with your meter.
When the blood glucose result appears, record it in your log or journal.

Step-by-Step: Checking Your Blood Sugar

Back