anyone with diabetes?

how do you do the actual test? lol step by step..anyoneee? lol
Didn't I give enough info in my post? :wave: Or do you need more details?

Oh, wait, I do think I forgot the little wipes - you need to clean the finger with an alcohol wipe before pricking it. And then, after pricking and getting the blood sample on the strip, use a tissue to stop the bleeding.

sorry guys the posts are hard to read my internet keeps being wonky...sory!

so all you need are the meter, test strips, and a pricker and the needles for the pricker? hahaha I feel that these are not the proper diabetic terms but what can you do...lol also I believe that my insurance would prob pay for the test strips I would imagine..

OHIP will cover the meter kit only if your family doctor prescribes it.

For lancets and test strips, you pay for them. If you have an insurance, they will cover 80 percent of the costs.

If you are on ODSP or welfare, they cover the costs of lancets and test strips.

Hello!

I also have a Diabetes website (soon blog) and Facebook Diabetes page. I go to Columbus, Ohio and 2 cities in Michigan to give workshop on Diabetes. You can go check out the website at Pam's Main Page but not everything is there... I am still working on the website, but people do like to go to the Facebook page-- it is Log In | Facebook

Hope you got some answers that you need from others here. :)

Have a great day!

Testing your BG levels at home because you "might" become diabetic is silly. Talk to your doctor about getting your c-peptide tested (high c-peptide can be an indicator of type 2 diabetes while the body is still able to produce the megadoses of insulin needed to keep your BG levels normal), and also getting your "a1c" tested twice a year or so.

If your insurance wont pay for a1c testing, you can get home test kits with two tests for about 30$ from the pharmacy, or you can get mail-in test kits for 10$ from walmart.. MUCH cheaper than what most labs charge.

I have Blood sugar issues - and my sister was recently diagnosed with a rare late onset type of insulin dependent diabetes... for both this reasons my doctor and I decided that I should be testing my BGls at least daily - as well as whenever I feel "off"

In my case, I tend to have BGl that run on the low side of normal (3.2 - 4.0mmol/L is my normal .. rather than the more typical 4-6 mmol/L range. I typically have hypoglycemic attacks "out of the blue" at least a few times a month - to complicate things, these symptoms are very similar to the side effects I have from a daily medication that I take. For me, testing my BGls when I feel "off" allows me to determine what is causing the problem - low blood sugar, or medication issues and then handle the problem more appropriately.

In most cases Blood Glucose testing supplies (aka diabetic testing supplies) have to be prescribed by a doctor ... though there are some states/ provinces that might sell the testing supplies without a script for full price (you're looking at well over $100 a month for supplies though!)

If you have a family history of blood sugar issues - or are at high risk for developing diabetes or may have hyper or hyperglycemic or hypoglycemic issues then talk to your family doctor about having him/her prescribe you a kit (monitor, lancing pen, and a few lancets and test strips) as well as a month's worth of supplies (ie a box or lancets, and 100 test strips - I prefer the "pre-coded/code-free" test strips) under the premise that you'll test and record your BGl at regular intervals (for example: first thing in the morning, a few hours after breakfast/lunch then before bed) each day so that you can have a solid understanding of how your blood sugar fluctuates etc. The months' test results will determine if you should continue testing or not and with what frequency etc.

One tip ... someone mentioned using alcohol wipes prior to doing the finger stick... Both my doctor, and my sister's diabetes team (3 drs, 2RNs, 1 dietitian) said that instead of using the alcohol wipes, to wash your hands well in warm soapy water, then do the stick immediately after (ie no alcohol wipe) ... there were a number of reasons they gave for why using the wipes are not the best idea (new theory, about 5-10years ago they recommended them). One of the big advantages of simply washing your hands is that the warm water and washing motion helps increase blood flow which allows you to set the lancing pen to a shallower setting - ie making for a hopefully pain-free stick.

Honestly, you need to talk to your doctor about your concerns and see if they will write you a script for a limit trial ... otherwise you're looking at spending $100 - $300 for a month's worth of supplies AND not really know how to use them (make sure your dr explains how to use it - and also have the pharmacist actually show you how to do the test (ie have them walk you through doing a test while you're there, so they can help you with any issues, show you where to place the lancing pen on your finger (the side not the 'pad' or the tip)

Hope that helps a bit.

My father have diabetes. Unfortunately, he isn't my bio-parent.

I would like to know the history of health in my actual family. Yet, I remind still health with one little bad side.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

My dad has type 2 diabetes. I don't want to get it. Don't want to pick my poor finger for my life lol.

Speaking of the expense of the test strips, I remember (many years ago) my Mother's diabetes onset was at age 65. She cut her test strips in half to save on cost.....

my family have diabetes also

my dad also had diabetes but im not sure what types he had
my grandma had diabetes and insulin also
my great-grandma have diabetes
my great-aunt have diabetes
my step-dad have diabetes

im not diabetes but im pre-diabetes before bedtimes

I have Blood sugar issues - and my sister was recently diagnosed with a rare late onset type of insulin dependent diabetes... for both this reasons my doctor and I decided that I should be testing my BGls at least daily - as well as whenever I feel "off"

In my case, I tend to have BGl that run on the low side of normal (3.2 - 4.0mmol/L is my normal .. rather than the more typical 4-6 mmol/L range. I typically have hypoglycemic attacks "out of the blue" at least a few times a month - to complicate things, these symptoms are very similar to the side effects I have from a daily medication that I take. For me, testing my BGls when I feel "off" allows me to determine what is causing the problem - low blood sugar, or medication issues and then handle the problem more appropriately.

In most cases Blood Glucose testing supplies (aka diabetic testing supplies) have to be prescribed by a doctor ... though there are some states/ provinces that might sell the testing supplies without a script for full price (you're looking at well over $100 a month for supplies though!)

If you have a family history of blood sugar issues - or are at high risk for developing diabetes or may have hyper or hyperglycemic or hypoglycemic issues then talk to your family doctor about having him/her prescribe you a kit (monitor, lancing pen, and a few lancets and test strips) as well as a month's worth of supplies (ie a box or lancets, and 100 test strips - I prefer the "pre-coded/code-free" test strips) under the premise that you'll test and record your BGl at regular intervals (for example: first thing in the morning, a few hours after breakfast/lunch then before bed) each day so that you can have a solid understanding of how your blood sugar fluctuates etc. The months' test results will determine if you should continue testing or not and with what frequency etc.

One tip ... someone mentioned using alcohol wipes prior to doing the finger stick... Both my doctor, and my sister's diabetes team (3 drs, 2RNs, 1 dietitian) said that instead of using the alcohol wipes, to wash your hands well in warm soapy water, then do the stick immediately after (ie no alcohol wipe) ... there were a number of reasons they gave for why using the wipes are not the best idea (new theory, about 5-10years ago they recommended them). One of the big advantages of simply washing your hands is that the warm water and washing motion helps increase blood flow which allows you to set the lancing pen to a shallower setting - ie making for a hopefully pain-free stick.

Honestly, you need to talk to your doctor about your concerns and see if they will write you a script for a limit trial ... otherwise you're looking at spending $100 - $300 for a month's worth of supplies AND not really know how to use them (make sure your dr explains how to use it - and also have the pharmacist actually show you how to do the test (ie have them walk you through doing a test while you're there, so they can help you with any issues, show you where to place the lancing pen on your finger (the side not the 'pad' or the tip)

Hope that helps a bit.

Wow, thank you so much for the info! The reason why it is a concern is because I have every so often hypoglycemic symptoms. The only reason why I would even think it's a concern is it DOES run in my family, my aunt has it, my great grandma had it, my grandfather has it, my 3 uncles have it, my mom was warned about pre-diabetes because it runs in the fam... I also just got diagnosed with a tumor that is most likely benign but I need to go for an ultrasound for it and all that jazz to make sure it is what they think it is and then have it removed if they're correct. I would never want to compromise my own health for not doing something that take 2 min out of my day when in the long run I could be damaging my body. My body hates me lol fml
But thanks for all the info..I will look into getting a kit:) thanks!

Back