Anyone who Deaf or Hard of Hearing Medicine Doctoral

I know the medical program at UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles) has had more than one deaf student, and it's a very prestigious medical school. Maybe you can contact UCLA and ask them for ideas on how you can achieve your goal? Good luck!

Good advise!

Am seeing a lady at the University to ask her questions so I will be bring the interpreter with me. Still waiting for 2nd July to come up!

one of my friend who is deaf, will be doctor, she is current in university. Hope she make it.

one of my friend who is deaf, will be doctor, she is current in university. Hope she make it.

Cool! Hope she make it and it would be great to see more deaf doctor. It would be big benefits for hearing doctor to use deaf doctor.

Next year Im going to university to study the certificate in Health Science for one year to build up my confident as school gap life like I have never done Physics, chemisty, biology and Biochemisty. Am really looking forward to go to do some study next year. Just thought you want to know what im doing up to lately.

Good luck! I've noticed from your posts that you sound really determined and you know what you want. Go for it!

I work as a nurse and am successfull at it. I have a cool stethescope that connects to my DAI input of my HA. It is a life saver for me. also learning body language of patients are great things to become skillfull at. oral communication lip reading skills help probably the most. There are somethings at the hospital that I am unable to hear still, but colleages are great assistance with making up the defecit when they understand your desire and passion for your work......I worked in the OR for a time as circulating nurse and had very difficult time with communication (because of the masks) so I just couldn't do it anymore. there are tons of places I am able to use my skills and benefit the hospital significantly.
being a deaf surgeon would be very difficult for the reasons mentioned above, and also hands are always occupied and signing would be tough even with terp there. Don't let it stop you from finding a passion in the medical field. I still may one day get into med school....see I wanna do anesthesia one day.... just work hard and put all your heart into it.

Hey Doug,

Could you point out where you got the stethescope to work with your aid. I'm interested in that, as I'm a therapist. Anytime there is a form of hypotension, or vital data is needed to determine tolerance, etc.... I always have to grab a mechanical one that takes their readings which usually is not all that accurate. I also PM you.

I've encountered doctors that are wheelchair bound, had extremities amputated and what not but they all practiced family/pediatrics. I would guess that for a deaf doctor working ER/ED/OR, or a place where timing involved with critical info is required, I would image this would provide the greatest resistence in terms of deaf acceptance as the risk & liability would be much higher (as much more is at stake). I applaud your determination, as I too, found the human body quite remarkable. As they say; aim for the moon, for even if you miss, you'll be among the stars.

Hey Doug,

Could you point out where you got the stethescope to work with your aid. I'm interested in that, as I'm a therapist. Anytime there is a form of hypotension, or vital data is needed to determine tolerance, etc.... I always have to grab a mechanical one that takes their readings which usually is not all that accurate. I also PM you.

I've encountered doctors that are wheelchair bound, had extremities amputated and what not but they all practiced family/pediatrics. I would guess that for a deaf doctor working ER/ED/OR, or a place where timing involved with critical info is required, I would image this would provide the greatest resistence in terms of deaf acceptance as the risk & liability would be much higher (as much more is at stake). I applaud your determination, as I too, found the human body quite remarkable. As they say; aim for the moon, for even if you miss, you'll be among the stars.

Awesome Andy!!! can you be my therapist lol?? admired any deaf in doctorate and teachers field...WISH You all the BESt of LUck.....

Hey Doug,

Could you point out where you got the stethoscope to work with your aid. I'm interested in that, as I'm a therapist. Anytime there is a form of hypotension, or vital data is needed to determine tolerance, etc.... I always have to grab a mechanical one that takes their readings which usually is not all that accurate. I also PM you.

Andy!!! if you want to know if there's a stethoscope that will work with your aid go to this site The Hearing Loss Help Co. then go to stethoscope section as I found this site from another post in regards to my new hearing aids and smarklink info.. smile... enjoy!!

Hi there,
I am Deaf and from New Zealand and I would like to know about Medicine Doctoral. In new zealand, there are no Deaf doctor and have knowlegde about the human very little.

I just want to know if there any Deaf or Hard of Hearing who is doctor?

Because Im considering to become doctor but I have got no idea what path I should take but right now its too early to say which field doctor I want to become.... maybe surgeon, neurologist, heart surgeon, vascole (veins etc...) but deep in me I know I would like to work in surgeon.

Is there possible for me to become Doctor?

Is there anyone who is training to become Doctor, or maybe qualified Doctor?

It would be much appreciated if you could reply me back. Am looking forward to hearing it from you soon! Thanks! SpaceyUFO :)

My best friend is Deaf and she is in her first year in medical school. She is going into neuroscience.

so yes it can be done!

I too plan to become a doctor as well and with hard work you can do it. Do not let your deafness stop you from doing anything and good luck!

Jas.

Thanks Jas, I am aware of hard working will be coming up to my shoulder and I am prepare for that. I have strong passiation for human functions so this means it will work to learn the anatomically and the others.

Andy!!! if you want to know if there's a stethoscope that will work with your aid go to this site The Hearing Loss Help Co. then go to stethoscope section as I found this site from another post in regards to my new hearing aids and smarklink info.. smile... enjoy!!

Thanks Cancuckian Chick. Price is something else :eek3: I've been looking into it, but seems like my aid is not compatiable with the one I want the most which requires a euro input or something of the sort, or portability becomes an issue(especially since we carry walkers, forms, kits).

To the Topic Creator; I stumbled across this website that's designed for people with hearing loss in the medical field. Granted, the number of posters there are small, but looks very resourceful. It might be a great place to get some basic info. Here's the link: http://http://www.amphl.org/forums/index.php You can also check out what others say in other fields as well (as it includes fields such as audio, assistants, nurses, therapy, etc..). There's also a mention of the mask & surgery concerns in their forum.

The link provided: (AMPHL)The Association of Medical Professionals With Hearing Losses which is designed for individuals with hearing loss interested in or working in health care fields. Hope that helps.

Andy< Awesome thanks so much as I wanted to get into the medical field probably will have to do it online as I have a good job right now but this online course for my backup or for career change... since most of the online are from USA which I'm in Canada - not too sure if the qualification is the same, any comments?? such as being a Medical Coding/Billing Clerk as I don't have all the maths or science credits for these but I'm not too sure I would need help in it lol..

Well why not ask your audie about what you need maybe you just need a boot to make it work...

Good luck smile..

Yeah that one is very good website. It helps you to prepare with your future career. Once I get in university, I will use it this.

Thanks Cancuckian Chick. Price is something else :eek3: I've been looking into it, but seems like my aid is not compatiable with the one I want the most which requires a euro input or something of the sort, or portability becomes an issue(especially since we carry walkers, forms, kits).

To the Topic Creator; I stumbled across this website that's designed for people with hearing loss in the medical field. Granted, the number of posters there are small, but looks very resourceful. It might be a great place to get some basic info. Here's the link: http://http://www.amphl.org/forums/index.php You can also check out what others say in other fields as well (as it includes fields such as audio, assistants, nurses, therapy, etc..). There's also a mention of the mask & surgery concerns in their forum.

The link provided: (AMPHL)The Association of Medical Professionals With Hearing Losses which is designed for individuals with hearing loss interested in or working in health care fields. Hope that helps.

Andy< Awesome thanks so much as I wanted to get into the medical field probably will have to do it online as I have a good job right now but this online course for my backup or for career change... since most of the online are from USA which I'm in Canada - not too sure if the qualification is the same, any comments?? such as being a Medical Coding/Billing Clerk as I don't have all the maths or science credits for these but I'm not too sure I would need help in it lol..

Well why not ask your audie about what you need maybe you just need a boot to make it work...

Good luck smile..

I don't know much about the medical billing/coding clerk requirements. But I do know that you should check out the reputation of the school, so pay attention to some of the stats they provide, such as graduation to hire ratio as well as what students are saying about their courses & the school itself.

If you plan on working in the states, I would check out the requirements that the US board wants and I would see how well that school meets those requirements. There's usually a few hoops that you may have to jump through, so you want to make sure the school will provide a good structured program to satisfy most if not all requests by what setting you're going to be in. We have a couple of therapist(all physical therapist) who acquired their degree in their native country, but had to go through an extensive process to become licensed here in the states...but in the end they all said it was worth it.

As for the audiologist, I do have a scheduled appointment the 2nd week of July as a follow up with my recent aid purchase. So I will be having this discussion with her. I just have to decide where my acceptable price to benefit ratio is.

side note: I just noticed on my last post, the link provided does not work because I placed 2 HTTP:// in the link. So if it doesn't work, you can just go to the home page AMPHL - Association of Medical Professionals with Hearing Losses

Last edited:
Back