Anyone who Deaf or Hard of Hearing Medicine Doctoral

SpaceyUFO

Reaction score
Hi there,
I am Deaf and from New Zealand and I would like to know about Medicine Doctoral. In new zealand, there are no Deaf doctor and have knowlegde about the human very little.

I just want to know if there any Deaf or Hard of Hearing who is doctor?

Because Im considering to become doctor but I have got no idea what path I should take but right now its too early to say which field doctor I want to become.... maybe surgeon, neurologist, heart surgeon, vascole (veins etc...) but deep in me I know I would like to work in surgeon.

Is there possible for me to become Doctor?

Is there anyone who is training to become Doctor, or maybe qualified Doctor?

It would be much appreciated if you could reply me back. Am looking forward to hearing it from you soon! Thanks! SpaceyUFO :)

Hi there,
I am Deaf and from New Zealand and I would like to know about Medicine Doctoral. In new zealand, there are no Deaf doctor and have knowlegde about the human very little.

I just want to know if there any Deaf or Hard of Hearing who is doctor?

Because Im considering to become doctor but I have got no idea what path I should take but right now its too early to say which field doctor I want to become.... maybe surgeon, neurologist, heart surgeon, vascole (veins etc...) but deep in me I know I would like to work in surgeon.

Is there possible for me to become Doctor?

Is there anyone who is training to become Doctor, or maybe qualified Doctor?

It would be much appreciated if you could reply me back. Am looking forward to hearing it from you soon! Thanks! SpaceyUFO :)

Hello SpaceyUFO!

First of all, I would like to say welcome to AllDeaf! You can make yourself at home here while you still can.

To answer your question - Is it possible for you to become a doctor? Yes! You can be whatever you want to be only if you are really determined to set a goal to that. I am not sure of what New Zealand has to offer but I do know that here in United States of America, There are so many universities that does offer a doctorate program for those Deaf people. There are some deaf doctors that are actually in the field working with their patients which is really wonderful. Perhaps you can try to be the first one in New Zealand to break the barriers? If so, That would be wonderful!

By the way, If you need any help with this forums or so, Do not hesistate to ask around! ;)

:wave:

Hey ya SpaceyUFO,

:welcome: to AllDeaf. :)

I know you can do it mate, your dreams of becoming Doctor one day and helping out a lot of people. Hopefully ya will get more answers from other members in AllDeaf.

Like Jolie said, perhaps ya will become the first Deaf Doctor in New Zealand to break the barriers.

hugz

~SG~

I know the medical program at UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles) has had more than one deaf student, and it's a very prestigious medical school. Maybe you can contact UCLA and ask them for ideas on how you can achieve your goal? Good luck!

I work as a nurse and am successfull at it. I have a cool stethescope that connects to my DAI input of my HA. It is a life saver for me. also learning body language of patients are great things to become skillfull at. oral communication lip reading skills help probably the most. There are somethings at the hospital that I am unable to hear still, but colleages are great assistance with making up the defecit when they understand your desire and passion for your work......I worked in the OR for a time as circulating nurse and had very difficult time with communication (because of the masks) so I just couldn't do it anymore. there are tons of places I am able to use my skills and benefit the hospital significantly.
being a deaf surgeon would be very difficult for the reasons mentioned above, and also hands are always occupied and signing would be tough even with terp there. Don't let it stop you from finding a passion in the medical field. I still may one day get into med school....see I wanna do anesthesia one day.... just work hard and put all your heart into it.

I know the medical program at UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles) has had more than one deaf student, and it's a very prestigious medical school. Maybe you can contact UCLA and ask them for ideas on how you can achieve your goal? Good luck!

Hi Interpretrator, thanks for your reply. Actually Im from New Zealand, and it will cost me very dearly to get in UCLA. Sound like that university is great campus but unfortunately Im living in New Zealand. Thanks heaps cheers Spacey :)

Hello SpaceyUFO!

First of all, I would like to say welcome to AllDeaf! You can make yourself at home here while you still can.

To answer your question - Is it possible for you to become a doctor? Yes! You can be whatever you want to be only if you are really determined to set a goal to that. I am not sure of what New Zealand has to offer but I do know that here in United States of America, There are so many universities that does offer a doctorate program for those Deaf people. There are some deaf doctors that are actually in the field working with their patients which is really wonderful. Perhaps you can try to be the first one in New Zealand to break the barriers? If so, That would be wonderful!

By the way, If you need any help with this forums or so, Do not hesistate to ask around! ;)

Hi Jolie,

Thanks for your reply :) I have been researching and did contact one of the University in New Zealand, and they did replied back to me, that Deaf people can do Doctorate program. Also been doing some physiology studies and still it motatives me alot. Oh thank heaps, I'll keep it in my mind if i have any question about this. Cheers Spacey :)

I work as a nurse and am successfull at it. I have a cool stethescope that connects to my DAI input of my HA. It is a life saver for me. also learning body language of patients are great things to become skillfull at. oral communication lip reading skills help probably the most. There are somethings at the hospital that I am unable to hear still, but colleages are great assistance with making up the defecit when they understand your desire and passion for your work......I worked in the OR for a time as circulating nurse and had very difficult time with communication (because of the masks) so I just couldn't do it anymore. there are tons of places I am able to use my skills and benefit the hospital significantly.
being a deaf surgeon would be very difficult for the reasons mentioned above, and also hands are always occupied and signing would be tough even with terp there. Don't let it stop you from finding a passion in the medical field. I still may one day get into med school....see I wanna do anesthesia one day.... just work hard and put all your heart into it.

Hi hohDougRN
Oh kewl, thats great your nurse. Im considering to get myself a cochlear implants cos i wanted to learn how to talk and listen due of me wanting to become a doctor. I grew up all my life using my signing language.

If someone grew up fluently talking using the voice or signing language whatever, and had nasty accident, had brain damaged like speech centre. What happened to speech centre, mostly are gone. Have to start all over again since when they were little. Same thing with movements e.g: learning how to walk, hold things, and etc. Thats why I do believe i can do start learning using my voice.

I believe it will be huge challenge for me but Im keen to do it. Thanks for your reply by the way :) cheers Spacey

Hey ya SpaceyUFO,

:welcome: to AllDeaf. :)

I know you can do it mate, your dreams of becoming Doctor one day and helping out a lot of people. Hopefully ya will get more answers from other members in AllDeaf.

Like Jolie said, perhaps ya will become the first Deaf Doctor in New Zealand to break the barriers.

hugz

~SG~

Hey mate, thanks for being faith in me! Yeah, it will be long way to go but I know i'll get it there. Hugz Spacey

Check outh this information on Deaf Doctor in MI, USA.
Profile: Dr. Phillip Zazove - e-Michigan Deaf and Hard of Hearing

He even wrote a book about his experience, "When The Phone Rings, By Bed Shakes" Published by Gallaudet University Press.
Amazon.com: When the Phone Rings, My Bed Shakes: Books: Philip Zazove

Jim

Hi, thanks for that information and it was very good website that you gave it to me. My god, it was recently for Deaf guy to become Doctor. Thanks heaps again :0) Spacey

I have researched in the States, and noticed there are plenty Deaf Doctor people! In New Zealand, none of Deaf Doctor are available. I've been studying my human biology and so far i've been doing well. :)

Hello,
It'd be great to hear about a future deaf doctor in New Zealand! It'd show a lot of ignorant people that a deaf person can aim for the highest and succeed if they put their mind to it.

Don't let the barriers prevent you from making your dream come true. It might require a long fight for access and acceptance, but one has to do it in order to pave an path for other deaf people who wish to do the same.

So, go and study your ass off and come back to us in few years proudly showing off your degree in medicine! :)

Best of luck to you.

Hello,
It'd be great to hear about a future deaf doctor in New Zealand! It'd show a lot of ignorant people that a deaf person can aim for the highest and succeed if they put their mind to it.

Don't let the barriers prevent you from making your dream come true. It might require a long fight for access and acceptance, but one has to do it in order to pave an path for other deaf people who wish to do the same.

So, go and study your ass off and come back to us in few years proudly showing off your degree in medicine! :)

Best of luck to you.

I second that! Go for it! Follow your dreams no matter how challenging it can be. :)

How am I doing with my studies

Just quick to tell how am I doing with my study....

i've been so real busy with my study the human biology and the other plates i had then I did well but i rather to be in a classroom than doing myself at home. I did the school correspondence.

I have applied for University doing the certificate in Medical Health science so I can go to university next year. Will be seeing a lady on 2nd July.

Am looking forward to see her to discuss what I will be needing.

I know I will need interpreter, notebook and one to one tutor to help me to get thru the study.

Next year Im going to university to study the certificate in Health Science for one year to build up my confident as school gap life like I have never done Physics, chemisty, biology and Biochemisty. Am really looking forward to go to do some study next year. Just thought you want to know what im doing up to lately.

Hey ya SpaceyUFO,

I wish ya good luck for your upcoming interview. It would be a good challenges for ya next year if you got in University to study the Health Science. :)

Hugz mate

Cheers

Hey ya SpaceyUFO,

I wish ya good luck for your upcoming interview. It would be a good challenges for ya next year if you got in University to study the Health Science. :)

Hugz mate

Cheers

Oh thanks mate! I hope it goes smooth and am looking forward to meet her at the university! It would be quite weird going back to university at age 27 heh but hey age doesn't matter really! Hugs ;)

Hi hohDougRN
Oh kewl, thats great your nurse. Im considering to get myself a cochlear implants cos i wanted to learn how to talk and listen due of me wanting to become a doctor. I grew up all my life using my signing language.

I have bilateral cochlear implants and would be happy to answer any questions you have about CIs. Please feel free to send me a PM anytime. :)

If you do a Google search for "deaf doctor," you'll find all kinds of articles about doctors who are deaf.

Hope this helps and good luck in your endeavors! :)

Back