Anyone use a slow cooker?

The new Crock Pot brand cookers are no longer the industry standard. Recently, Rival changed their temperature settings so that they are higher temp (they were worried about food safety because a few dumbasses apparently don't know how to tell when meat is done :roll:). From what I understand now, the new Crock Pots char food and boil liquids, even on low settings. So, since you're willing to spend top dollar, go for the best. Breville and Cuisinart both make high quality products. The Hamilton Beach slow cookers are also well-rated.

Programmables are nice if you're gone for long stretches of time and can't manually adjust the temps yourself. With slow cookers, you do have a large window of time to make adjustments. If you switch from high to low an hour or two past when you're supposed to, the food is still probably going to be just fine in the end.

With most meats, slow cookers are best for people who are intimidated by traditional roasting methods. I have no problem with cooking science, so using a slow cooker to cook, say, poultry is totally impractical to me; the finished product will taste the same, not have as much brown/crisp and take 5 times longer. Only if the recipe calls to cook low n slow (a pork roast for example) would I use one. But then, just about all of my low n slow recipes are barbecue, and for that, I will use my Weber smoker, which is 100x better than a crockpot.

Now, I do use a small, older crockpot to cook beans. Cooking beans in a crockpot is the best way to go. It takes 6-8 hours, but you don't have to presoak them to get rid of the gas-causing enzymes. All of that will take care of itself due to the long cook time. The nice thing is that I don't have to watch the pot to add more water. I can also use the soupy water that it's cooked in to increase the liquidity of the beans (if I'm making Mexican-style refried pintos).

What about a dutch oven?

I use my cast iron Dutch oven a lot more than my slow cooker. I find it to be more versatile than a slow cooker, since I can cook on both the stovetop and in oven. It is excellent for making soup!

I have a Hamilton Beach. I broke my Rival insert some time back when I was washing it. So had to go out and buy a new one. I like the Hamilton Beach one. At Thanksgiving, the turkey was done long before potatoes, etc. were, so we turned on the slow cooker, put the turkey and juices in and it made for the BEST turkey ever that I have made.

I use my cast iron Dutch oven a lot more than my slow cooker. I find it to be more versatile than a slow cooker, since I can cook on both the stovetop and in oven. It is excellent for making soup!

That's exactly what I like about it. you can use it anywhere, even camping. Very versatile.

That's exactly what I like about it. you can use it anywhere, even camping. Very versatile.

Ohh, right! I forgot to mention that I took this camping. A bed of charcoal below it works great for low, even heating. Made some great camp chili.

The new Crock Pot brand cookers are no longer the industry standard. Recently, Rival changed their temperature settings so that they are higher temp (they were worried about food safety because a few dumbasses apparently don't know how to tell when meat is done :roll:). From what I understand now, the new Crock Pots char food and boil liquids, even on low settings. So, since you're willing to spend top dollar, go for the best. Breville and Cuisinart both make high quality products. The Hamilton Beach slow cookers are also well-rated.

Programmables are nice if you're gone for long stretches of time and can't manually adjust the temps yourself. With slow cookers, you do have a large window of time to make adjustments. If you switch from high to low an hour or two past when you're supposed to, the food is still probably going to be just fine in the end.

With most meats, slow cookers are best for people who are intimidated by traditional roasting methods. I have no problem with cooking science, so using a slow cooker to cook, say, poultry is totally impractical to me; the finished product will taste the same, not have as much brown/crisp and take 5 times longer. Only if the recipe calls to cook low n slow (a pork roast for example) would I use one. But then, just about all of my low n slow recipes are barbecue, and for that, I will use my Weber smoker, which is 100x better than a crockpot.

Now, I do use a small, older crockpot to cook beans. Cooking beans in a crockpot is the best way to go. It takes 6-8 hours, but you don't have to presoak them to get rid of the gas-causing enzymes. All of that will take care of itself due to the long cook time. The nice thing is that I don't have to watch the pot to add more water. I can also use the soupy water that it's cooked in to increase the liquidity of the beans (if I'm making Mexican-style refried pintos).

Agreed. I prefer to oven roast my meats. I will use the slow cooker for beans and for some soups and stews.

We have Aroma rice cooker. It's a big fancy computerized thing for authentic Oriental people!

So various rice recipes and steamer on top of rice is what I prefer. You could live on what you cook in this thing with no need for other appliances.

I saw something like that in the store, a rice cooker where you could also steam seafood or chicken or whatever on the top at the same time the rice is cooking. That looked like a very healthy way to eat.

Make sure that you get one where the liner or pot comes out. Otherwise they are a bear to clean! I think the ones with the pots that come out are made better too.

We have Aroma rice cooker. It's a big fancy computerized thing for authentic Oriental people!

So various rice recipes and steamer on top of rice is what I prefer. You could live on what you cook in this thing with no need for other appliances.

Is Aroma the brand name. That sounds like a handy gadget!

Is Aroma the brand name. That sounds like a handy gadget!

I think that Aroma is the brand, yes. I really love that thing. I also have a rice storage when I push a lever and it measures in increments.

i have both a rice cooker and a slow cooker, they are good
i have an excellent slow cooker reciepe book -Robyn Martin's Best Recipes for Crockpots and Slowcookers
9780958257398-crop-325x325.jpg

Make sure that you get one where the liner or pot comes out. Otherwise they are a bear to clean! I think the ones with the pots that come out are made better too.

A number of years ago I bought a very cheap small one with the idea of trying the idea of using it to keep a dish for a potluck (mac & cheese, scalloped potatoes or such) hot during Sunday School and worship service as we have plenty of electric outlets in our Fellowship Hall. You could NOT take it apart to wash which was to real headache but it did keep things the right temperature!

Then . . . when I had gall bladder surgery the woman's group that I belong to bought me a 2 quart Rival Crock-Pot with a REMOVABLE stoneware insert. It was very much the right choice as I do not garden, cut flowers sometimes bother my nose and I really like the idea of something that can continue to be used. I teased the two gals that brought it to me that the group was buying it as much for them as me because we are all involved in the cleanup following such events! It has worked out well for that purpose but being retired I have not used it for other things because I don't seem to decide on what I want to cook hours ahead of time.

The first one got passed on to an agency that includes a program that helps people coming out of the foster care system get set up with their first place on their own. I did tell them about it not coming apart first and they still wanted it.

I have 3 slow cookers/crock pots. I have a small 2 quart one that does not have a removable liner. That is a little Rival brand that we got about 20 years ago. I have a Rival Crock Pot that is 4 quarts with the removable liner and I also have a Hamilton Beach 6 quart slow cooker with removable liner and lock down lid for transport. Right now, we use the big one at least once a week for various things.

Seems like most of them today have the removable liner. Some of those liners can also be used on the stove for browning first, which seems handy.

I'm leaning toward the Hamilton-Beach 3-in-1 cooker. The 3 different size liners (2, 4, and 6 quarts) seem to really cover everything, from oatmeal for two in the a.m. to a big casserole or stew or roast for ourselves plus company.

One drawback is that they are a round shape with a tapered bottom part, so it would be difficult to put in a large roast or even a large chicken, apparently, without cutting it apart. And the liners can't be used on the stove for browning, which is something I thought I wanted. For soups and stews and casseroles, they would be fine, I guess.

Back