Anyone use a slow cooker?

Beach girl

Reaction score
I wondered if any of you great cooks here use a slow cooker. Any recommendations as to which ones are good, which ones not so good? I've seen some where you can use the insert on the stove to brown the meat or whatever first, before you slow cook it, and that seems like a good idea.

I'd be willing to spend up to $150-ish, but nothing wrong with spending less, either. I've seen quite a lot that seem to be around $80 or so; are they any good?

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Do you know which model? Is it the kind where you can take the insert out to use on your stovetop for browning?

Yes! Is pretty big. Too big actually. Not know model number. Had go look what brand lol

No, not have switch. Have four buttons front, pick time. 4, 6, 8, or 10 hours.

I'm kind of liking this one, but there are some negative reviews about it, too.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BSC560XL-Stainless-Steel-7-Quart-EasySear/dp/B002OT03FC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top[/ame]

I like to buy kitchen things that will last a good, long time. I still have the original Farberware pots and pans that I bought when I was 26. For those counting on their fingers at home - yes, that means I've had them for more than 30 years! I've had my good kitchen knives for better than 25 years.

'course at my age now, it would be over-buying to hope to get 30 years' worth of service - I'll be lucky if *I've" got 30 more years in me!

Really I don't know exactly what I need to spend for good quality for something like this. It doesn't have to be all that fancy, but there are some features I'd like to have, and it seems mostly only the expensive ones have them.

It only just break last month I think. Side handle. Still there, just one side not hang on anymore. I never know can get replace??

It only just break last month I think. Side handle. Still there, just one side not hang on anymore. I never know can get replace??

How long have you had it? If less than 1 year, it should still be under warranty. If more than that, you might have to buy a new lid. Sometimes the new parts cost almost as much as buying a new unit, though.

I like the looks of this one:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-33135-6-Quart-Stainless/dp/B000R8A1OK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top[/ame]

Hamilton-Beach 3 in 1, so there are 3 sizes of crocks. Some people complain it cooks too fast, but that would be ok with me, since I'm usually home and wouldn't have the problem of being gone all day and not able to catch it before anything burns.

Ah, you're probably out of luck, then. Never hurts to try, though. Contact their customer service e-mail address and see what they can do for you.

I use my grandmother's old crockpot. Still going strong!

Crockpots are great!

Yes you can call the customer service and explain what happen...they will either send you a new set or new part.

I have one...it is my 3rd or 4th one! I don't remember how many I've owned! I bought a new slow cooker cuz other one stopped cooking. So about a month or so, the latch to hold the lid broke. So I called customer service, explained what happened etc...they sent me a new set. So I still have 2nd one in the pantry in case other one stop cooking or broke or whatever. Mine has 4/6 hours and other 8/10 hours buttons. Nice! Color is in black. Match to all my appliances minus the toaster oven lol!

I got my slow cooker from garage sale for 10 bucks. has high/low/off.

You don't always need to brown meat first. It depends on what you are cooking.

IF you cook corned beef, get the brisket one with season packet,( dont try to add your own season). Put brisket on bottom, add the largest potatoes you have on next in a layer unpeeled or at least leave a strip of unpeeled skin around circumference, half of cabbage, and large carrots around cabbage. Put it on low and leave it for 8-12 hours and the corned beef will be soooo tender !!! Perfect for those with busy schedule and want a hot meal coming home ready.

I made spanish rice, hamburg goulash, soups, pot roast, etc with my slow cooker. Its always great for me to do this since My kids are soooo active in sports, its nice to havee a hot meal ready to eat the minute you walk in the house and smell the great dinner!

Back