Anyone Know Deaf Attending Public Colleges?

DeafCapricorn

Reaction score
Just wondering if any other Deaf attend public colleges...

I will be attending Concord University starting next week...

If you are Deaf and attended public college... what was your experience like?

I am an alumni of Arizona State University. There were about 45,000 students attending it at the time I was there...some of my classes had 200 students while others only had 30 students. I remember that it was the general requirement classes that had the huge numbers while the classes in a specific program were smaller.

At first, I used an oral terp for lipreading cuz I didnt know ASL...tooo damn hard so I switched to CART along with the terp. The CART helped but my eyes got so tired from reading at a high speed for 2 to 3 hours straight. As I became more and more fluent in ASL, I requested an ASL terp. So much better and easier for me to follow my classes.

In the larger classes, the interaction among with the other students was more informal but in the smaller classes, some of us became good friends.

I had some professors that gave interesting lectures and some that gave dry lectures.

The only thing that felt completely different in college than in high school was the flexibility of the schedules and I had full control of it. That was so nice. Other than that, the basics are practically the same. Pay attention, take notes, do the assignments, study hard, and pass the classes. :)

I'm not deaf, but my boyfriend (soon to be fiance) goes to Winthrop University with me; we're both majoring in Finance. We've had a few classes together, so I see that mainly he just requests an interpretor and he takes notes from that. What we try to do is get seats in the front row to make sure that he has the interpretor right in front of him. This semester though, he's in his upper level courses while I'm finishing up me gen eds, so we don't have much together.

He's the only deaf person at our school (we only have around 5,000/6,000 with grad students). Fortunately, we have a good disability services office, and he gets a variety of interpretors from Charlotte. Apparently, there is quite a population of deaf people in Charlotte, which neither of us were much aware of, since his interpretors told us of how busy they can get.

I work with several students attending a hearing university, and my own son attends a hearing university.

Define "public college" - I mean, CSUN is a public college, but has a significant deaf population. So.... clarify, please? It think you mean colleges that do NOT have well-established services for the deaf, which to me would include Gallaudet, RIT/NTID, CSUN, ASU, and maybe a few others.

Public colleges as in those that have a more outstanding hearing population than deaf/hoh.

My college doesn't offer interpretors, why? I have NO clue.

Well in West Virginia interpreters are HARD to find...

But I guess I'll do ok with the TypeWell program...

Well in West Virginia interpreters are HARD to find...

But I guess I'll do ok with the TypeWell program...

Terps being hard to find is not a valid excuse under the law. But it is your choice to use the TypeWell program instead, if you are comfortable with that. But the question is, do they make the TypeWell program available to you when you meet with your advisor, or when you attend extra-curricular activities? You are entitled to accommodations for any activity on campus, not just classtoom activities.

True... but normally what I do (or have in the past at any school function) is notify them that I am deaf... I've never had bad luck (knock on wood) with not being able to understand considering that I do have some hearing left and wear a hearing aid daily.

However, if situation arises and I need an interpreter I will voice my opinion... trust me.

I'm a client of the WVDRS (Division of Rehabilitation Services) and they told me they will work with the college for me. I like my counselor there... she's nice AND learning sign language from an old interpreter of mine... HOW COOL IS THAT?! LOL

True... but normally what I do (or have in the past at any school function) is notify them that I am deaf... I've never had bad luck (knock on wood) with not being able to understand considering that I do have some hearing left and wear a hearing aid daily.

However, if situation arises and I need an interpreter I will voice my opinion... trust me.

I'm a client of the WVDRS (Division of Rehabilitation Services) and they told me they will work with the college for me. I like my counselor there... she's nice AND learning sign language from an old interpreter of mine... HOW COOL IS THAT?! LOL

Sounds like you have all of your bases covered. Good for you!

I went to TEXAS WOMEN UNIVERSITY and commuinty colleges. I am sure there is disable service there will should provide you a trep or notetaker.

Mizzou... the TypeWell is similar to a notetaker...

BTW, the lady's name is Jennie... she sent me an e-mail today and we are meeting before classes on Tuesday...

So everything is covered on my part! Less stress for me!

I went to a public college with 40,000 students in Northern California. I had terp and cart and I made friends with hearing students. It was the best 4 years of my life.

I went to University of Texas at San Antonio and received B.S. in mathematics.
Now, I go to Texas State University for M.A. in mathematics education.

Academically speaking, if you work hard, you'll succeed. Of course, having special services goes a long way.

Socially speaking, I honestly didn't care.

There is one girl who is deaf and is currently attending ATU that I know of, the only reason I know is because the local paper did a piece on her and her hearing dog.

And I too am deaf (actually I am completely deaf in my left ear and hard of hearing in my right.) and I attended ATU for one year before dropping out (financial reasons). I plan on returning either in the fall of 08 or spring 09 depending on how things go between now and then.

i'm deaf and I go to the Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design in Vancouver, Canada.

i use TypeWell but in my experience CART is better. my ASL observational skills aren't that great so i don't really want an interpreter anyway.

i have one deaf friend at my school (who has a CI and uses TypeWell, too) and only know of one other person at my school with a hearing loss. we have less than 1500 students.

I attended a hearing college, both for my bachelor's and my undergrad. Support services were better then in high school, but generally most disabilty services are targeted towards LD kids............arughhhhh........Wish I'd gone to Gally or a school with a significent Dhh population!

Public colleges as in those that have a more outstanding hearing population than deaf/hoh.

My college doesn't offer interpretors, why? I have NO clue.

See, based on your definition, the ONLY college that would be disqualified is Gallaudet. Every OTHER college out there has far more hearing people than deaf.

RIT: 10,000 hearing, 1000 deaf
CSUN: 30,000 hearing, 250 deaf
and so on.

Yeah, me. I attend a local college here. My expierences have been so so. Some people judge me, but most try to learn from me.

Back