Anyone here an ex Scientologist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomad

Reaction score
Just curious here. I was one once, but quit in '78. Yes it is a cult.

Have been in touch with on or two from back then. I am amazed at the swathe of destruction this religion(?) has carved in individual lives. Both personally and financially. I was lucky I quit when I did.

Reading through some of the posts in these forums reminded me of my past.

There was a bit of talk about Tom Cruise in here. One thing we all need to know about Scient(crap)ology is the everyday individual is treated completely different to the celebrity. Why, they even have their own org (or church) that only celebrities or those with oodles of money go to. They have like 5 star accomodation, room service, etc and personal assistance and care on tap. Mr and Ms average aren't even allowed past the front door, except as staff. Clearwater, the other place down the road was for the general population. That was a very different place, I am told.

The rest of us don't have enough money to pour into this, so we have to sign up as staff members who must be strictly subjected to the rules and regulations and work all available hours at negligible pay rates to help fund the various services.

So people like Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Catherine Bell, Kirstie Alley, Sylvester Stallone and so on will hold a completely different viewpoint to the average person who has gone through the mill, simply because their experiences are different.

I personally find it a dangerous religion. It was a willing and concious choice for me to sign a bond to be fined $5000 in 1978 if I said anything damaging to the church publicly. Looking back, we were really forced to do this, as the consequences of not signing were unpalatable (but these were not disclosed to us then). I signed that paper in NZ, so I don't think it will apply here in Oz.

I am interested in hearing from other ex members about their experiences and their journey back into the real world. Or others who have been directly or otherwise by it. It always leaves some effect.

I had a very dear friend in there when I left, and I could not even speak to her again as I knew what trials awaited her if I even attempted to do so (and myself, for that matter). Her parents got her into it, and they deserted her to go higher in the church. They both eventually died of cancer and my friend had children who eventually were taken away by the authorities. Her life was in a total mess. Now that she has quit and is getting help the church wouldn't allow I believe she is picking up. It's a damn shame, she was such a lovely girl.

Interestingly, Scientology preaches that they can cure cancers by their auditing (or counselling) techniques. It is remarkable how many members die from this illness.... something I guess the church wouldn't like to talk about here, but would hound me to ends of the earth and beyond to sue or discredit me......or maybe worse!

This is really the first I have spoken about this publicly since I left. I don't really understand why, but perhaps it was a point of personal shame with my life. How could I have been so stupid to get sucked into a cult?

Simple question, wish the answer was too.

Interesting! you had through experience. I love more listen your life story! How you realized and leave there?

:bowdown: "In the beginning was the Word (Jesus), and the Word (Jesus) was with God, and the Word (Jesus) was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him (Jesus); and without him (Jesus)was not any thing made that was made." John 1:1-3:bowdown:

To learn more about GOD our Father who is our CREATOR! Read Genesis in Old Testament how GOD created the earth, people, animals, waters, spaces etc.....

Disagree!!!

All earth, lava, water, animal, space and human are created by evolution, that's true. ;)

Disagree!!!

All earth, lava, water, animal, space and human are created by evolution, that's true. ;)

Pacman --

You disagree with GOD's word not me. It comes from the Bible that God is an author of the bible. You have to tell GOD that You disagree with HIM. God will give you an challenge. I personally believe that GOD's sign will show you in many ways here on the earth. Wink! :fingersx:

Interesting, I didn't know anything about Scientologist until I learn about this thru Meida over Tom Cruise few years ago here.

Each person who beleives different beliefs. This is so.

Pacman --

You disagree with GOD's word not me. It comes from the Bible that God is an author of the bible. You have to tell GOD that You disagree with HIM. God will give you an challenge. I personally believe that GOD's sign will show you in many ways here on the earth. Wink! :fingersx:

I don't need hear about shit from Christian's views, period.

Thanks...

I don't need hear about shit from Christian's views, period.

Thanks...

Pacman

That is your problem not want to hear anything about God as Creator because you do not want to see the truth and want your own way instead of God's way. Welcome to your calling on the way to either narrow or wide gates!

Pacman

That is your problem not want to hear anything about God as Creator because you do not want to see the truth and want your own way instead of God's way. Welcome to your calling on the way to either narrow or wide gates!

No, God isn't creator, period.

That's your wishes as christian views, that totally fake. :roll:

To learn more about GOD our Father who is our CREATOR! Read Genesis in Old Testament how GOD created the earth, people, animals, waters, spaces etc.....

To learn more about... HOW to shut the asldkfjaklsdjf up. :D

Psst, I'm catholic and I'm just poke to see if anyone interest to knowledge about this kind religious.

Interesting! you had through experience. I love more listen your life story! How you realized and leave there?

It was more by accident than design. I was granted leave of absence from my post. I was in charge of the Dissemination Division at our church, which in basis covered sales of the 'products', publishing the magazine and communicating with the public. Most folks join the staff to lower their costs of services within the church. If you're not rich, it's much more difficult to get anywhere.

My personal life at the time was slowly unravelling as I was still coming to grips with quitting drugs and anti - social/gang lifestyle. I had run out of money and I got a job about 200 miles away. This meant I could only get back to town every couple of weeks or so. So away I went with permission (I guess I wasn't much use to the church without money!) and I began to re-integrate into the everyday world without other Scios there. I wasn't about to talk about it in a strange place, having experiencing the hostility where I came from. Gradually I drifted away from the church and followed and old lady friend of mine over to Australia.

Over the years, I have eventually came into contact with some old friends who are now ex-members and found out more and learnt that I almost lost it there in other ways as well. I really was one of the lucky ones to get out when I did. Many of my old friends carry some bad scars now.

I used to put in about 35 hours a week there (after my 40 hour normal job) and after I didn't come back again, my mum got a letter stating that the church now labelled me a freeloader! I reckon they were better at that than I was, hands down.

To learn more about Scientology...

cheerful

What I have learned over the years is that Scio denounces psychiatry as being ill researched, perhaps even a deliberately distorted/full of outright lies (gasp!) science.

What I do ask now is where does the information, study data and research for Dianetics (the Scientology bible) come from? Psychiatric study data is well documented and available. At the time, I was too naive to ask and if we did the answers were usually incomplete, vague or nil. We were not encouraged to 'Question the Faith' or the 'Word' of L. Ron Hubbard. If we saw something from L Ron, it was 'gospel'. Such was our frame of mind.

Normally, if you're going to chuck stones at someone, you'd better be ready to back up your statements.

I guess this sounds like we were all a bunch of morons. But there were a lot of awfully smart folks in there, indeed as in any cult. Like me, they were offered something they needed at the time that seemed to fill the gaps.

Cults rely upon disconnecting you from reality, feeding you their information and getting you to accept it without question and the gradual disconnection from outside society other than to recruit more menbers.

Tom Cruise and his fellow celebrities are just as drawn in as we were....

Just curious here. I was one once, but quit in '78. Yes it is a cult.

Have been in touch with on or two from back then. I am amazed at the swathe of destruction this religion(?) has carved in individual lives. Both personally and financially. I was lucky I quit when I did.

Reading through some of the posts in these forums reminded me of my past.

There was a bit of talk about Tom Cruise in here. One thing we all need to know about Scient(crap)ology is the everyday individual is treated completely different to the celebrity. Why, they even have their own org (or church) that only celebrities or those with oodles of money go to. They have like 5 star accomodation, room service, etc and personal assistance and care on tap. Mr and Ms average aren't even allowed past the front door, except as staff. Clearwater, the other place down the road was for the general population. That was a very different place, I am told.

The rest of us don't have enough money to pour into this, so we have to sign up as staff members who must be strictly subjected to the rules and regulations and work all available hours at negligible pay rates to help fund the various services.

So people like Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Catherine Bell, Kirstie Alley, Sylvester Stallone and so on will hold a completely different viewpoint to the average person who has gone through the mill, simply because their experiences are different.

I personally find it a dangerous religion. It was a willing and concious choice for me to sign a bond to be fined $5000 in 1978 if I said anything damaging to the church publicly. Looking back, we were really forced to do this, as the consequences of not signing were unpalatable (but these were not disclosed to us then). I signed that paper in NZ, so I don't think it will apply here in Oz.

I am interested in hearing from other ex members about their experiences and their journey back into the real world. Or others who have been directly or otherwise by it. It always leaves some effect.

I had a very dear friend in there when I left, and I could not even speak to her again as I knew what trials awaited her if I even attempted to do so (and myself, for that matter). Her parents got her into it, and they deserted her to go higher in the church. They both eventually died of cancer and my friend had children who eventually were taken away by the authorities. Her life was in a total mess. Now that she has quit and is getting help the church wouldn't allow I believe she is picking up. It's a damn shame, she was such a lovely girl.

Interestingly, Scientology preaches that they can cure cancers by their auditing (or counselling) techniques. It is remarkable how many members die from this illness.... something I guess the church wouldn't like to talk about here, but would hound me to ends of the earth and beyond to sue or discredit me......or maybe worse!

This is really the first I have spoken about this publicly since I left. I don't really understand why, but perhaps it was a point of personal shame with my life. How could I have been so stupid to get sucked into a cult?

Simple question, wish the answer was too.

Wow what an interesting story you had posted in here...it makes me wondering if you are now an atheist??
I am agnostic.. more toward to believe in Evolution...

{Mod Edit: Unnecessary comment removed--}

I've always found Scientology funny. I don't know whether to think of it as a cult/religion or else. I've been tempted to attend local meetings, but I don't think I have enough money. The South Park episode really hits it dead on in explaining the Scientologist beliefs. And I thought they were joking when they said "This is what Scientologists actually believe."

Last edited by a moderator:
{Mod Edit: Previous quote had been removed--}
I've always found Scientology funny. I don't know whether to think of it as a cult/religion or else. I've been tempted to attend local meetings, but I don't think I have enough money. The South Park episode really hits it dead on in explaining the Scientologist beliefs. And I thought they were joking when they said "This is what Scientologists actually believe."

Yeah I agree with you...the guy who created this thread was only telling us his experiences... It was interesting...

Last edited by a moderator:
Throwstones... Nomads only was telling us about his past experiences... many people have different religions.... Please RESPECT Nomand's thread... I believe he wants no bashings... you are tryint to start one... it is not RIGHT...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back