Anyone going to CSUN?

Nesmuth said:
NCOD has become some sort of an organizational labyrinth. You have a better chance finding Minotaur hiding in it than getting any help from them.

Richard

Believe it or not that's actually true.

I went to CSUN in March 1996 with the Kuli (deaf) Rainnow club group and advisor for experenicing to visit to get a idea if I want to go there or not. There has deaf people there and also hearing people there is more like social.

Does required to have high school degree before attend CSUN?

you're required to have a high school degree before starting at ANY college!

deafdyke said:
you're required to have a high school degree before starting at ANY college!

Actually, not always. If you dropped out of high school and several years later, you want to take on the college... you can by taking a test. At least you can where I live.

But I don't know about the colleges in the USA.

I'm a senior year of high school, finally! I'm thinking about goin to RIT in NY or CSUN in California next year or whatever.

GO CLASS OF 2006! :ily:

Richard,

What exactly do you mean by that? I think I can understand what you mean, tho -- I went to CSUN for one year, wasn't happy there, and transferred to Gallaudet. There was no way I'd be joining the elitist deaf fraternity -- not my thing.

But, what do you mean by the "old guards" and all that?

Thanks,

-Andy

"Old Deaf Guards" I refer to as members of deaf communities who have challenges advancing or evolving themselves, integrating or interfacing themselves with the rest of the ( hearing ) society. They do not believe in fixing deafness and many of them are 2nd, 3rd or farther generations of deaf people.

You can find plenty of them working for CSD and theyre very restrained and I have no problems with them huddling there. It's the isolated factions that have given me headaches as recent as last Sunday.

The clout and power of the old deaf guards have faded enormously in recent months as I've been getting invites in the past few weeks for my participation in events at places that were once their highly guarded strongholds in which I have been gerrymandered from in the past 8 years.

Yes it's deaf evolution working on it's own and I need not to tinker with the evolutionary progress and I'll just leave old deaf guards alone and let time do the work for me.

Richard

I can't think of ANYONE who is an "Old Deaf Guard" at CSUN. Only one person there comes from parents who were deaf, and he was definitely not someone shy about change. CSUN's the place to go if you really want an education and not just a social party. I certainly got to learn while having fun.

Dennis said:
I can't think of ANYONE who is an "Old Deaf Guard" at CSUN.

That's because they're all gone. No longer there. Theyve abandoned CSUN to make way for the future of deaf society to beach themselves at the university.

This is one of the pieces of the light I see at the end of the tunnel.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
"Old Deaf Guards" I refer to as members of deaf communities who have challenges advancing or evolving themselves, integrating or interfacing themselves with the rest of the ( hearing ) society. They do not believe in fixing deafness and many of them are 2nd, 3rd or farther generations of deaf people.
Let me see if I got this right... These 'old guard people' took over NCOD positions at CSUN, a hearing-predominated university, and opened doors for Deaf students to enroll, involving themselves in nearly all aspects of the university life. In the process, they overcame their challenges in advancing their Deaf agenda onto the university.

How much more inclusive do you want from the so-called old guard?!? :)

Getting back to the thread, CSUN is a great university of considerable academic reputation. I have visited there a couple of times, and I know it can have quite a number of Deaf students attending classes at any time. The only concern I've heard infrequently is that sometimes, interpreting services can fall short of the mark in serving the needs of the Deaf students.

A Gally Grad here! :)

Nesmuth said:
That's because they're all gone. No longer there. Theyve abandoned CSUN to make way for the future of deaf society to beach themselves at the university.

This is one of the pieces of the light I see at the end of the tunnel.

Richard

Then please name names of those who were in the "Old Guard" at CSUN. Herb Larson isn't an old guard. Professor Mel Carter isn't. Dr. Merri Pearson isn't. Mark Sommers isn't. Caroline Preston isn't. So, who was? Tell us what they did to you so we believe you.

As Eyeth said, CSUN has an excellent reputation and terrific list of programs for deaf and hearing alike. There has been a shortage of interpreters everywhere because a) The state puts a cap on what they can pay interpreters, and b) VRS companies are paying interpreters so much more, and are stealing them from .EDU's all the way up to college and all the way down to elementary school.

Last edited:
Eyeth said:
Let me see if I got this right... These 'old guard people' took over NCOD positions at CSUN, a hearing-predominated university, and opened doors for Deaf students to enroll, involving themselves in nearly all aspects of the university life. In the process, they overcame their challenges in advancing their Deaf agenda onto the university.

What they did was good taking over and opening the doors to deaf participation. They could have stopped at that instead of going on turning it into a big political sandbox with Herb Larsen and Merri Pearson saying I cant put a sand castle on it while they let other deaf orgs do.

I only hope this time I wont face barriers at participating in events like this http://www.csun.edu/cod/conf/2006/genconfinfo06.htm and other community education events that have appeared on http://ncod.csun.edu/ss/dc_events.html as I've faced in the past.

Richard

Last edited:
Nesmuth said:

You can find plenty of them working for CSD and theyre very restrained and I have no problems with them huddling there. It's the isolated factions that have given me headaches as recent as last Sunday.

The clout and power of the old deaf guards have faded enormously in recent months as I've been getting invites in the past few weeks for my participation in events at places that were once their highly guarded strongholds in which I have been gerrymandered from in the past 8 years.

Yes it's deaf evolution working on it's own and I need not to tinker with the evolutionary progress and I'll just leave old deaf guards alone and let time do the work for me.

Richard

Thanks, I understand more clearly.

I know totally what you mean! I suffered at CSD since the sixth grade, and I must say, I disliked it there! I didn't like how the staff treated certain people, and the people were just the same old boring people.

I noticed a pattern--some people who graduate from CSD, go back there and work there! It's like the same old life, they never change or open themselves to the rest of the world. Creepy. I hope I won't be brainwashed like that, or suckered into that vortex. :roll:

Umm, I think Nesmuth was referring to Communication Services of the Deaf (CSD) located in Sioux Falls, unless I'm mistaken. You seem to refer CSD to an actual Deaf school, and if so, what is it? I know it's not Colorado as it would be CSDB.

I visited there once, but I've no plan to go to CSUN. It's too far from my home here. So the only University I can attend is either CSULB or CSUDH. :)

Nesmuth said:
The old guard deaf cesspools are still there at CSUN. Even though it's size now pales in comparision than it's size 10 yrs ago, theyre still gerrymanderously dangerous! I'd wait like 10 more years before we can start seeing them waving the true flags of inclusion. In the mean time, stay out unless youre 'Kappa Gamma' material.

Richard

Such delusions of eloquence, may I suggest a revisit to the Elements of Style?

Back