Anyone going to CSUN?

hanabithief

Reaction score
Hi. I'm going to CSUN this coming fall... I was wondering if anyone else is going there. I'm kind of shy, and I still have some difficulty signing (I didn't start to loose my hearing until more recently....actually, I think I'm still registered as hearing...oh well, I come this far without any services). I'm kind of hoping to get a chance to get to know some people before I go.

I wanted to go to CSUN for the fall semester, but I was too late. Maybe for the spring semester? I don't know. I'm clueless at what to do and stuff.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
CSUN is okay. But don't be a snob there though, cause they hate snobs. :)

Oh, hush, you unwashed heathen. :slap:

Recent CSUN grad here. Got a good job, moved away, but still keep in touch with the gang that's there now.

Feel free to PM me or email me any questions you have. I was in the same boat as you -- didn't really sign, thought I was more hearing than deaf, but then I figured out where I fit in.

I have no idea if you're a guy or a girl, but I hope you'll do the following things:

1) Stay in the "deaf dorms" for an experience of a lifetime. I was there for 3 semesters and it was an eye opening experience for me.
2) Join a few different clubs, both deaf-oriented clubs and hearing clubs like drama or student government or accounting or the like. College is all about getting to know people, and joining up will allow you to find out where you're most comfortable
3) Don't decide your major right away. Even if you just absolutely know right now what you want to do, wait at least one year and experiment with different courses to find out what you like.

Are you going to the National Center on Deafness' Orientation? It's a week long orientation the week before school starts -- it's a blast, I went my freshman year and I had a great time, then I later became an orientation leader and had so much fun as well.

If you're getting your help from the NCOD (i.e., helping you pick your classes), who is your counselor? If you're not, or have no idea what I'm talking about, just let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

The old guard deaf cesspools are still there at CSUN. Even though it's size now pales in comparision than it's size 10 yrs ago, theyre still gerrymanderously dangerous! I'd wait like 10 more years before we can start seeing them waving the true flags of inclusion. In the mean time, stay out unless youre 'Kappa Gamma' material.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
The old guard deaf cesspools are still there at CSUN. Even though it's size now pales in comparision than it's size 10 yrs ago, theyre still gerrymanderously dangerous! I'd wait like 10 more years before we can start seeing them waving the true flags of inclusion. In the mean time, stay out unless youre 'Kappa Gamma' material.

Richard

What the heck is that supposed to mean, Richard?

There was NEVER any kind of exclusion while I was a student, except for the usual tiny group of "deaf power" people who transferred to CSUN from Gallaudet. When they go around putting down hearing and hard of hearing people as "not a part of deaf culture" they quickly find out that CSUN isn't like that.

Those deaf power peeps tend to leave quickly. Sometimes they even see the light and settle down, accepting hearing, deaf, and hard of hearing alike.

Your solution of "stay out" is EXACTLY what would KEEP "inclusive" people out of CSUN, leaving only the exclusives. Your solution is self-contradictory. You sound like one of those deaf power people right now.

What's your problem against CSUN? Do you still have a grudge against Herb Larson, who is the FORMER director who left some time ago? Spill the beans, man.

I transfer from Gallaudet to CSUN, because I
didn't like Gallaudet's education system.

And so CSUN was cool, because I learned so much there.
I wish I had gone to CSUN at first...
and should have not listen to my High School Counselor
who told me not to go to CSUN....
but to go to Gallaudet.

I went to CSUN because I was curious about it....
and damn... I had more independent there...
I can do whatever I want to...
And I am so mad about that.
Gallaudet has less opportunities. and CSUN has a lot more.

I just had many issues and problems before I went to CSUN...

I just wish I went to CSUN right after I graduated from High School
and I would be an innocent happy sane person...
And not go to Gallaudet, FSU, Univ of Memphis, LOC, and waste
my time and money and stuff.

But oh well... I got 2 lousy degrees with bad college experience :sadwave:

Dennis said:
Your solution of "stay out" is EXACTLY what would KEEP "inclusive" people out of CSUN, leaving only the exclusives. Your solution is self-contradictory. You sound like one of those deaf power people right now.

No the message to stay out actually comes from within CSUN and it's a lot louder than mine.

Richard

Nesmuth, you are so negative!!!!! Yeah, there are extremists, but WHO CARES? There are extrmists in EVERY movement. You don't hear people complaining about mainstream Christianity b/c of those idoit White Power/KKK/Christian Idenity types do you?

deafdyke said:
Nesmuth, you are so negative!!!!! Yeah, there are extremists, but WHO CARES? There are extrmists in EVERY movement. You don't hear people complaining about mainstream Christianity b/c of those idoit White Power/KKK/Christian Idenity types do you?

That is typical richard roehm. Just dont listen to him on every word of his. It is only about a hour drive from his cramped office to csun.

richard, why dont you move out of Calfornia and stay out?

qwerty123 said:
That is typical richard roehm. Just dont listen to him on every word of his. It is only about a hour drive from his cramped office to csun.

richard, why dont you move out of Calfornia and stay out?

I did give that a thought. Then came dozens of emails and visits for me to stay in the the bloody california jungle. One of these messages came from CSUN this afternoon and I'm pleased with it.

It's time folks like qwerty123 stop wearing the blinders they put on horses and enjoy the full vision ahead.

Richard

qwerty, yeah I know...seems like all some deaf leaders do is bash Deafness b/c of extremist views!

Nesmuth said:
One of these messages came from CSUN this afternoon and I'm pleased with it.

So, what was the message and who was it from? Or are you just trying to pull the blinders over us? In other words, you're enjoying the attention, and in that case, you really ought to be banned as a troll on these forums.

well...

regardless of what anyone says, i'm going to csun this fall. (i'm already registered, anyhow.)

dennis....thanks for the advice. i have already registered for housing at the lighthouse learning community. i already have a major, but i guess it really can't hurt. (i'm taking deaf studies with a concentration in social work). i figure if worse comes to worse, i'll know a little bit more ASL. (...or not, depending on where i end up getting placed. if i have to restart from level one, it could potentially be just plain boring.) still, i have alot of my english credits out of my way from AP exams, so if i do decide to switch later it won't be quite as bad.... i just won't have saved quite as much time.
the clubs idea (about joining a variety) is a really good idea. i will make sure to do that.

i'm not getting any help from NCOD (i'm actually registered as hearing because my hearing loss was mild when i applied, and even though it has increased considerably, i still can fuction well without services.) i don't know who is my counselor yet, though....but i'll tell you when i find out.

as for the who exclusive thing.... i think i'm the farthest from it that you could possibly find. and if there are exclusive people? well then, fine. i'm sure i'll be able to find some people who aren't like that and we can just start our own little group of inclusive people, and the exclusive people can join whenever they figure out just how much more fun we're having.

hanabithief said:
i'm not getting any help from NCOD (i'm actually registered as hearing because my hearing loss was mild when i applied, and even though it has increased considerably, i still can fuction well without services.) i don't know who is my counselor yet, though....but i'll tell you when i find out.

NCOD has become some sort of an organizational labyrinth. You have a better chance finding Minotaur hiding in it than getting any help from them.

Richard

i'm not too worried about NCOD... i'm pretty much okay on my own. i've never used any deaf services (or at least not for school), and i did well this last semester in high school. i don't particularly need it, especially because i already get a note taker due to learning differences.

Nesmuth said:
NCOD has become some sort of an organizational labyrinth. You have a better chance finding Minotaur hiding in it than getting any help from them.

Richard

Richard, if you're going to put down the NCOD, at least give us an example of how they're "an organizational labyrinth." Stop avoiding my questions.

In my experience, it was very straightforward, it's easy to get in touch with any staff member who could handle a request or issue. They're reachable via email, phone, TTY, and videophone. They communicate things well in advance so you can make time in your schedule for mandatory dates such as scheduling your classes for the next semester. What more can you ask for?

hanabithief, glad to see that you're pretty much set up to go with or without the NCOD's help. That's a good thing, and just as long as you always remember that help is always available on campus TO THOSE WHO ASK, please always take advantage of what's offered through the school. Need financial advice? Talk to a free consultant. Need tutoring? Talk to a department head. Need some guidance? Talk to an advisor. Not getting where you feel you need to be? Complain to any school manager.

Good luck!

well hanabithief, when you go to Csun, most of the time, you have
to associate with hearing people there anyway...

You might have hearing roommates most of the time, have to
have interpreter everywhere you go, have to try to communicate
with the hearing people, and if you want to join deaf fratnerity or sorority, most of those members are hearing...

But anyway, that is cool.

Back