Anyone else work the "graveyard" shift?

I did graveyard shift once from 10:30pm to 7am at the dorm in Deaf school. I wouldn't do it again as it was too long to stay up thru the night. The pay was good. It was interesting experience.

Yes- Im a graveyard guy. Been doing graves for a long time. It is so fun, have such a good time. I hate mornings also, blah. never liked mornings.....Im always a night person. Just attribute all this to my weirdy personality.

you still call it graveyard shit if u have to wake up at 4am to go work and finish work at 2pm?

I've had experience with graveyard shift work. Good money. The only thing, I didn't do it every night. Just flew out overseas at night few times a week and supervised cargo loading/offloading then coming back into Miami at sunrise. That is my favorite time of day. Seeing the sun rise through the high vertical clouds over the Atlantic. Kudos to people who CAN sleep during the night on the job but most people can't! I slept whenever the aircraft was up in the air--I'd sometimes bring a sleeping bag! (TOO COLD at 30,000 ft)

I got paid OT for flying in addition to my regular schedule and extra pay per flight. That's another lifetime ago. Now I'm a morning person with two little ones.

Certainly not me! I know for sure. I would never work for any "graveyard" or overnight shift but I would have to if my schedule permits other times for me to do these activities I want to do, so the shift would be the last option for me.

i use to be security guard in FDL minn. use to work whole lot of graveyard shift. mindnite to 8am or 8pm to 8am. even overtimes, and three days no freakin sleep lol, done that alot of times.

I sometimes do work at graveyard shift during the weekends if someone needs me to cover them.

I've worked a few graveyard shifts when I was working at my local video rental store. It was usually for inventories and for carpet cleaning.

There was one job with graveyard shifts that I thought might be good, but turned out to be something that completely offends my intelligence.

I heard about job openings at a nearby warehouse. So, I went by to find out what it was all about. I walked in the front door to the front desk and asked the woman there what this job was. She handed me an application and said to be back at 2 pm or 7 pm. I asked again what exactly the job was and what the positions available were. She said she didn't know and told me to just fill out the application, come in at 2 pm or 7 pm, and someone would explain it all to me. I left.

I came back at 7 pm and waited for a while. The lights were off (the only light keeping the place from being completely dark was the sunlight from outside coming through the full-sized windows). No one was at the desk. People were walking out. I caught one guy and asked about the 7 pm thing and he pointed out that I had to go around the building outside through the doors at the side of the building. So, I went there. I finally found the room... being 15 minutes late.

Turns out that there were 28 other people there in one big room. It was more of a group interview. The woman there talked about how the job worked. Since she talked so fast and I was sitting at the back of the room, I couldn't understand much of what was being said. The only thing I caught was "12 hours a day and 3 days a week". I wasn't sure I heard correctly and decided to wait and ask her at the end.

She handed out green and yellow papers that was our test. (They were green and yellow... different questions... so we couldn't cheat from the person on our right or left.) We had 7 minutes to complete the test.

First part? "How many items in 4 dozens?" "I have 2 and a half dozens. How many do I have?" "If I have 36 items, how many dozens is that?" "What is 12 inches?"

Second part? There's a picture of boxes piled up nicely. 4 boxes high. 5 boxes across. 3 boxes back. 2 extra boxes on top. How many total?

Third part? They give you a series of numbers & letters. You copy it in the blank next to the numbers/letters.

Fourth part? They give you pairs of names. You determine if the names are the same or different. "Robert Wagner - Robert Wagoner S D" (Same Different)

Fifth part? They give you a series of phone numbers. You find the matching phone number.

Sixth part? They give you categorized numbers and ask you to match the group the numbers belong to.

Well, I breezed through the test. I looked up and everyone else was still working on it. I looked down to review my answers, double check. I looked up, everyone was still working on their tests. 7 minutes later, test is done and collected. A few minutes later, the woman asks about several tests. Turns out that those people forgot to put down their names. It was in BOLD print in HUGE letters... "YOUR NAME ____________________". How could anyone miss that!? I caught a glance at the other tests. Half of them got a lot of answers wrong.

Last part of the meeting was another handout. This handout asked me when I wanted to work. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 6 pm to 6 am... or Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from 6 am to 6 pm. What's the pay? $9 per hour.

WTF!? That sounds like a sweat shop where they look for people who are barely smart enough and willing to work on days where everyone else has off. Forget it.

I walked out.

Yeah, I have a similar problem like that where I work. The supervisor (non-unionized) constantly berates me and another hearing co-worker (since we're the only ones that speak really good English..the lead speaks somewhat good English and is Vietnamese) every time we do our jobs. She treats us like children. I am meeting with an Union rep this coming week to discuss it. There's just something wrong about a supervisor that makes everyone feel like crap for doing their jobs. She never praises us. Never goes around to help us with anything. She does nothing but take smoke breaks and read while pretending to work on her computer.

The worst part is just the fact that people pull this shit on third shift, thinking that no one's going to find out or going to care. It's unfair and I don't know if it's grounds enough to file an Union complaint, but I'm doing it anyway. My hearing co-worker filed a complaint and the Union forced the supervisor to co-operate and have someone work with him as he requested (since he worked in a large area that takes one person 6-7 hours to complete alone). However, the supervisor reversed that a couple of weeks later, obviously without consulting the Union.

i do work once a while when my boss assigned me- animal control. *groan*

When i get that, i usually bring my dvd player, dvds, PSP, and laptop (online, aim, and blah blah). Some time when i get text msg or email from Police Dept about that often strays animals come in the backyards or around in the busy streets.

I would say...20-40 times during the year. Not that bad at all but i enjoy to have this quiet night but sometimes not- check on animals, feed 'em up, and do errands around the shelter. One ward is really driving me CRAZY- Isolate (Quartine Ward) room (dangerous dogs/cats). At least its kept me awake.

been working night shift for 4 years not a morning person, imma night owl woot woot

I used to work graveyard, I find myself not fit well with graveyard. I even found myself that 2nd shift is the worst of all! I would rather graveyard over 2nd shift. BUT my number one choice, that is IF I have to wake up 4 or 5 am in the morning then I love that shift! (1st shift).

Working 1st shift seems to make my family alive, and I find myself more fun during weekend when I work 1st shift, but not for nightshift where during night in the weekend is DEAD, can't make much noises. It SUCKS! But again, I hate 2nd shift the most.

My job has shift rotation duing each quarter, and I hope I would work graveyard during winters only.

Many years, I used to work at night shift from 10 or midnight to finish.
Right now, I work from noon to 8pm or late. I never like afternoon/evening.

Back