Anybody GEEK COMPUTER? *help*

Okay, didn't know that. Dont read all the posts. But why cant she boot in safe mode and go in admin?
Then she could change the password that way

Hey I am sorry I am not geek computer so you can ask my girlfriend knows more about computer.

Okay, didn't know that. Dont read all the posts. But why cant she boot in safe mode and go in admin?
Sorry but safe mode won't work either. You still need to authenticate even in safe mode. She can't authenticate without the password. There are basically only a few possible solutions. 1. Try to remember the password. 2. Use a third party product to change the password (ie. ERD commander). or 3. Perform a system restore and loose all of your data. That's about all you can do.

Rockdrummer is right, safe mode will NOT work. The idea of safe mode is to disable most of the drivers and application and go into "basic" mode so that you could fix application problems or whatever. It does NOT mean fixing the password problem, if safe mode is a way to fix password problem most of hackers will just waltz in and get in your computer and screw your computer, would you want that? It was never intended to fix the password problem.

Its been 6 days with bombarding of solution that I see will NOT work for sure. Once it is locked and passworded in NTFS format, it is MUCH harder to retrieve and I know it from early days of my fooling around with windows. If the files are formatted in FAT16/32 then it won't be problem just to retrieve files though DOS floppy disk or start up CD. But the way it looks like NTFS, the files is locked up until the orignal password is used and gain access then these files will be able to open up to retrieve.
One suggestion that I have tried and work well is that get 2nd hard drive, then set the old hard drive as slave, and have 2nd hard drive as master then install windows in there then there are good chance you may be able to retrieve some of files, but no guarantees. Today hard drives aren't as expensive as it was then! :)

One suggestion that I have tried and work well is that get 2nd hard drive, then set the old hard drive as slave, and have 2nd hard drive as master then install windows in there then there are good chance you may be able to retrieve some of files, but no guarantees. Today hard drives aren't as expensive as it was then! :)

Your idea for a second drive is a good one, but if he boots into win2k, he might not be able to access the data , NTFS permissions are funny that way. What he should do is boot from a live Linux CD, mount the hard drive, and then copy everything in the "documents and settings" folder to either a CD, another partition on the hard drive, a second hard drive or an external drive of some kind (flash drives are in gigs of capacity these days)

Then he should try to re-set the adminstrator password. there are ways to do this with Linux.
Recover Administrator's password

Thats the best howto I could find after searching for a few minutes, but there are more options if some one is willing to dig.

Galaxy what you need to do ....take your computer to the computer shop to have them mount the drive to another machine and copy the files across to a disk that way you wont lose the files.

Your idea for a second drive is a good one, but if he boots into win2k, he might not be able to access the data , NTFS permissions are funny that way. What he should do is boot from a live Linux CD, mount the hard drive, and then copy everything in the "documents and settings" folder to either a CD, another partition on the hard drive, a second hard drive or an external drive of some kind (flash drives are in gigs of capacity these days)

Then he should try to re-set the adminstrator password. there are ways to do this with Linux.
Recover Administrator's password

Thats the best howto I could find after searching for a few minutes, but there are more options if some one is willing to dig.
Thats a good link. Problem is that I don't think she has a floppy. She could make a bootable CD with the application on it to run. Or if she can boot to USB then make a bootable thumbdrive with the application on it. The nice thing about your solution is that it looks like its free. The problem with it is that it cannot change XP Home & Prof: up to SP1. The Live Linux option is good as well as long as it has the drivers for her CD drive and that her CD drive is writable. Then she could at least copy her data off and then rebuild the system.

FYI these shops will NEVER guarantee that they will not lose any data. They usually inform the customers the possiblity of losing data and "We are NOT responsble for this". They will usually formatting them and give you back your PC in working condition NOT save your data!

Galaxy what you need to do ....take your computer to the computer shop to have them mount the drive to another machine and copy the files across to a disk that way you wont lose the files.

Seth, nice article and that may work assuming she has the OEM version of the install CD and not a repair/recovery disk proviede by the computer manufacture. What boggles my mind is that she said she has ERD commander and that didn't work. I have never ever seen ERD not work unless the disk is corrupted. I would be interested in knowing exaxtly where and why ERD didn't work.

Seth,

I want that but... where is win2000 ?? I have cdrom win2000 w/me but still refused reject it.. Whoa.. why isn't working as well..

Sumth'n wrong /w win2000

Everything isn't working...

Only I need hard diskette for my computer insert it and download for backup bootable win2000 repair.. but my computer doesn't have hard diskette.. Espically My daughter's computer have one...

I wasn't even think twice about "MY COMPUTER CASE" doesn't have hard diskette.. ((mumbling)) twice again..

btw My daughter's computer has been sitting for few days and have not work on this computer.. Totally fed up!

My daughter accept it and bored to watch t.v. all evening and have not touch barely her computer use it again... I encourage her think pwd... She jumpy and antsy acting up uglier.. Not worth to ask her again! Leave her alone as let her go!

Back