Any Vegan/Vegetarians Out There?

The veg problem isnt the protein but the B complexes. True that.

Another product you don't expect gelatin in: Power Bars.

Not the "regular" kind, but types like the "double chocolate brownie" and peanut butter. The kind that is thicker/creamier (don't know how else to describe) in the middle.

Yea there are a lot of tricky companies out there that slips somethings in foods we don't think about.

Seriously, I saw on a slim jim jerky the other day "made from mechanical parts of chicken"..... At least they didn't use some fancy word of a animal part to hide whats really in it. If we had label bluntly saying whats in what, I don't think people would eat it.

I went back to my cash register and every day I work, right in front of me a bags of jerky. I keep thinking to myself.... as months pass "This animal could of lived instead of staying in a bag for months".

I just got into a huge and I mean HUGE argument with a friend over it. "You need meat! thats how we were brought up! we're supposed to eat meat!"

Now heres the thing, she was preaching at me. I kept my feelings on the subject to myself.

Rather than waste my breathe I just told her "look up Earthlings"

I have a problem with that comment.

That's not the right way to debate. I've seen Earthlings and it is very convincing but exorbitantly misleading. One should debate about meat vs. vegetable scientifically instead of using "poor Bambi" card. Earthlings reeks of PETA or a certain special interest group that represents lucrative vegetable businesses.

In Earthlings video, all we see is one slaughterhouse that grossly butchered animals in the most inhumane way that violates every belief we have.

Why did they not show a slaughterhouse that has ethic and moral? Why did they not show animals at free-grazed farms? Food, Inc. did that. Earthlings is a very stupid and poorly-made video with misguided agenda. Food, Inc. is a much better suggestion to give people a more informed decision on what they're eating and what happens in background from their food purchase.

That's not the right way to debate. I've seen Earthlings and it is very convincing but exorbitantly misleading. One should debate about meat vs. vegetable scientifically instead of using "poor Bambi" card. Earthlings reeks of PETA or a certain special interest group that represents lucrative vegetable businesses.

In Earthlings video, all we see is one slaughterhouse that grossly butchered animals in the most inhumane way that violates every belief we have.

Why did they not show a slaughterhouse that has ethic and moral? Why did they not show animals at free-grazed farms? Food, Inc. did that. Earthlings is a very stupid and poorly-made video with misguided agenda. Food, Inc. is a much better suggestion to give people a more informed decision on what they're eating and what happens in background from their food purchase.

The problem is they didn't really address why factory farms exist in the first place. I means... McDonald's is cheaper and more filling, not necessarily more nutritious, than an apple for the same price pound for pound.

Hell, in places like Alaska, tinned meat and frozen beef is cheaper than a loaf of bread or fresh vegetables. I know-- I have been to those far northern places.

Notice per capita there are more vegans and vegetarians in California than anywhere else in the States? Think about the agricultural scene in California and the implication that has for the food prices.

totally cool Buffalo, and omg yuck! its seriously amazing what people eat and not realize whats in it.

Um... You might not want to read the FDA's food regulations... or look up how soy sauce is made. Or a billion other things related to grains and vegetables easily as gross as animal byproducts. It's a bit hypocritical to assert such beliefs.

Maybe because kind and moral is not that common when it comes to treatment of animals. It's too bad you missed the point of "earthlings". And also, no, not all you see in earthlings is a slaughterhouse. Did you see the whole film? It shows how animals raised for profit are treated. i.e. pet stores, puppy mills, animals shelters and factory farms.

"Food Inc" I saw. "Earthlings" I didn't know of.
There was a time when I thought everybody "should be" vegan. Now I think that a more plant-based diet is more reasonable for some or even many societies/cultures but not necessarily everyone. What I do think though is that many people especially in urban areas can learn to be more aware of how and what they eat affects the planet, where their food comes from, and can learn more respectful and humane ways to eat animal-based products.

I stopped eating veal in 8th grade, that was the first thing I changed about my eating.
The last time I ate in McDonald's was in ninth grade, I remember because I was with one of my few high school friends and we'd had such a good time together that day.

"Food Inc" I saw. "Earthlings" I didn't know of.
There was a time when I thought everybody "should be" vegan. Now I think that a more plant-based diet is more reasonable for some or even many societies/cultures but not necessarily everyone. What I do think though is that many people especially in urban areas can learn to be more aware of how and what they eat affects the planet, where their food comes from, and can learn more respectful and humane ways to eat animal-based products.

I agree with you, Dogmom. I don't have a problem with other people choosing to eat meat. I do have a problem with people supporting companies and factory farms that consistently torture animals for human consumption.

I was never a big fan of McDonalds, but ever since I found out the truth behind the facade I won't support it. My son knows not to bother asking me to take him there- because I won't.

I agree with you, Dogmom. I don't have a problem with other people choosing to eat meat. I do have a problem with people supporting companies and factory farms that consistently torture animals for human consumption.

I was never a big fan of McDonalds, but ever since I found out the truth behind the facade I won't support it. My son knows not to bother asking me to take him there- because I won't.

you eat at Taco Bell but you have a problem with people supporting companies and factory farms that consistently torture animals for human consumption?

Err...

you eat at Taco Bell but you have a problem with people supporting companies and factory farms that consistently torture animals for human consumption?

Err...

Correction: I ate at Taco Bell. Not anymore. Also, I hadn't seen or heard of any bad practices by them. If I had, I wouldn't have gone there. Are you aware of something about Taco Bell that I'm not?

Either way, I'm no longer patronizing them so...

Correction: I ate at Taco Bell. Not anymore. Also, I hadn't seen or heard of any bad practices by them. If I had, I wouldn't have gone there. Are you aware of something about Taco Bell that I'm not?

Either way, I'm no longer patronizing them so...

It was my understanding you go there when you're in the mood for junk food. didn't know you no longer patronize there. One can safely assume all fast food chains get their meat from factory farms to keep the costs down.

It was my understanding you go there when you're in the mood for junk food. didn't know you no longer patronize there. One can safely assume all fast food chains get their meat from factory farms to keep the costs down.

My 7th grade science teacher taught us about what happens when we assume things.

Since then, I make every effort not to make assumptions.

The real cost of cheap food is hidden by use of farm subsidies and things like the worker's conditions in the above link.
healthy, real food grown/cared for/cooked in a manner that is sustainable for those who work in it in whatever way, cannot be sold in mass quantities for the kind of prices that fast food offers.

"fast"/processed food in whatever restaurant or chain comes at a price. if it's cheap, ask yourself - why? who benefits?

not everyone does have the luxury of asking that....but it is the case.

My 7th grade science teacher taught us about what happens when we assume things.

Since then, I make every effort not to make assumptions.

Ok...let me rephrase - based on what we know about fast food chains and how they make their profits selling such cheap foods, one can safely presume, given easily accessible information about their products, that they get their meat from factory farms.

Meat from non-factory farms tend to be much more expensive.

It's all common sense here.

Back