Any help would be a appreciated

AndyE9503

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have had hearing aids since I was 4, but I could hear well enough to get by in the hearing world. When I became an adult I got a job and everything. Well about 3 years ago my hearing started to get worse and now its to the point that I need to learn ASL because the only people I can talk to are family members. I have also lost my job because it is no longer safe for me to drive a forklift in a busy warehouse anymore. SSI just isn't paying the bills so I need to find a deaf friendly job, but I just can't think of anything. I do want to go to school but I have no idea were to go cause I already dropped out of a hearing college and I don't know if I could learn in a deaf school without knowing ASL. I'm just fishing for ideas cause I am fresh out. Thanks in advance.

I do want to go to school but I have no idea were to go cause I already dropped out of a hearing college and I don't know if I could learn in a deaf school without knowing ASL
Andy, where are you? Maybe you could go to NTID in Rochester NY! NTID is a deaf college located within RIT (a hearing college) It has a fairly large population that starts out there not knowing ASL.

Andy, where are you? Maybe you could go to NTID in Rochester NY! NTID is a deaf college located within RIT (a hearing college) It has a fairly large population that starts out there not knowing ASL.

I'm in Ohio. That school is about an 8 hour drive from looking at google maps. I will have a look at their website

learning ASL

if you just want to learn more asl you can look at Troy University. I do not know if they have ASL classes online - they might because they have an interpreting training degree online, maybe you can take some classes online for a quick way to get classes in asl.

There is a program called ASLPRO.com - its not perfect, but you can learn some there. There are other websites you can look at also. Do you have a video phone (VP) yet? If you get one, perhaps you can make some ASL using friends and chat on the VP to help you get more skills.

Ty

Hello everyone. I have had hearing aids since I was 4, but I could hear well enough to get by in the hearing world. When I became an adult I got a job and everything. Well about 3 years ago my hearing started to get worse and now its to the point that I need to learn ASL because the only people I can talk to are family members. I have also lost my job because it is no longer safe for me to drive a forklift in a busy warehouse anymore. SSI just isn't paying the bills so I need to find a deaf friendly job, but I just can't think of anything. I do want to go to school but I have no idea were to go cause I already dropped out of a hearing college and I don't know if I could learn in a deaf school without knowing ASL. I'm just fishing for ideas cause I am fresh out. Thanks in advance.

Deaf people can drive forklifts. At one of my jobs I had, there was a deaf guy that operated the forklift just fine, and the boss said if I wanted to operate a forklift, all I had to do was take a class for it. This is bullshit, it sounds like your job discriminated against you.

Deaf people can drive forklifts. At one of my jobs I had, there was a deaf guy that operated the forklift just fine, and the boss said if I wanted to operate a forklift, all I had to do was take a class for it. This is bullshit, it sounds like your job discriminated against you.

I know I can still drive it but when all of your coworkers and bosses are constantly pushing you around... I was the only one who paid attention to what was going on and whenever a crash would happen near me I would get blamed. And I worked for coca cola and they wrote the book on breaking the law. When I got a lawyer to try to save my job they brought in their legal team and threw so much red tape at me that I had to give up cause I could no longer afford to fight.

Hello There!

I have a couple of questions for you.

When you flunked out of a hearing college, what help were you given by the school to make sure you could understand the classes? Did you have a note taker or extra study sessions?

I ask because if you had to stop going because you couldn't hear or understand the class and that is why you failed the courses, you should have asked for help from the office of Disability services. What accommodations did they provide for you to help you succeed in your classes? What did you ask for?

I feel that you would be greatly helped by CART. CART is where a person comes into your class with you and writes everything that is said on a stenography machine, and you are able to read off of their screen and follow the class. You are then provided with a transcript from the class to serve as your notes. If there is a lot of notes on the board, or if you feel you would also like the board notes, that can also be arranged.

Your school will be able to provide this service to you. If they say they don't know where to find it, then come back here and send me a message and I will help you find a provider in your area. Don't give up on school in your area!

Hello There!

I have a couple of questions for you.

When you flunked out of a hearing college, what help were you given by the school to make sure you could understand the classes? Did you have a note taker or extra study sessions?

I ask because if you had to stop going because you couldn't hear or understand the class and that is why you failed the courses, you should have asked for help from the office of Disability services. What accommodations did they provide for you to help you succeed in your classes? What did you ask for?

I feel that you would be greatly helped by CART. CART is where a person comes into your class with you and writes everything that is said on a stenography machine, and you are able to read off of their screen and follow the class. You are then provided with a transcript from the class to serve as your notes. If there is a lot of notes on the board, or if you feel you would also like the board notes, that can also be arranged.

Your school will be able to provide this service to you. If they say they don't know where to find it, then come back here and send me a message and I will help you find a provider in your area. Don't give up on school in your area!

I had a note taker but it was another student and not reliable at all. Some classes no one would help. The school told me it was my responsiblity to find note takers. This was a while back. I didn't find out about things like CART until long after I had left. I did go to the disability office but they were never any help. I had the same problem in high school. I think people just don't understand that my speech and my hearing are two different things. I lost my hearing when I was 4 and my mother had me in speach therapy for years after. People tend to treat me like I am lying about my hearing problems just because I can speak just like a hearing person

What kind of things do you enjoy to do? I am hearing impaired too, I wear hearing aids but I really enjoyed retail. Are you good with people? I loved helping MOST customers (some of pricks). What skills do you have? From the schooling you did before did you learn any skills that could be helpful? I am in the same boat as you but for a whole different reason, I am fixing to have a baby. No one wants to hire a pregnant lady.

Well after reading the suggestions listed in this thread and looking around the internet I think I am going to try the NTID route. Lets see how I adjust to college after being out of school for 8 years. Their Automation Technologies program looks like something I could get into. Thanks for all the help.

Sorry for the double post but I just remebered. Is lifeprint.com a good place to start learning ASL before I go off to school? My family and close friends want to learn too so I figure we can do some online together.

I know I can still drive it but when all of your coworkers and bosses are constantly pushing you around... I was the only one who paid attention to what was going on and whenever a crash would happen near me I would get blamed. And I worked for coca cola and they wrote the book on breaking the law. When I got a lawyer to try to save my job they brought in their legal team and threw so much red tape at me that I had to give up cause I could no longer afford to fight.

File a complaint with the Department of Justice's ADA enforcement.

Back