Any ex-cult members here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:deal:

That's something like I was looking for - thanks nozobo.

How was your "escape" from the cult? Did you have much adjustment to make?

If you were raised as a JW, then I guess it involved a whole new life to learn and your support based taken away as well, just to help you along.....

What was your motivation to leave?

I didn't escape the cult, basically I just stop attending which I will explain below. I had a constant adjustment throughout my life: A white lie to everyone and being in two world.

I was born/raised in JW life so I couldn't escape the cult. Once I attended mainstream public school, I did notice the difference between me and other students: No celebration of holidays or birthdays.
I often felt left out by doing other activities instead of holidays/birthdays, I was being teased or mocked about it but it never bothered me because i thought i was a special kid or something lol

I never knew Jehovah's Witnesses was a cult until I learned at deaf institute, evne though they didn't teach specific abt it. I just learned my way around through lot of socializing. My deaf aunt, a retired Gallaudet secretary, was the one who tries to encouraged my parents to send me n my older deaf brother to deaf institute, CSDB: Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind, and finally we went and stayed in dormitories for weekdays then it's back home during weekends. I admit I was a mommaboi so I used to talk to mom alot. Once I learned lot about the holidays/birthdays, I did asked my mom why I couldn't celebrate, she said, "You're too young to understand why, you will understand someday".

As I grew older during the young teenager age, I was very smart but brat, often disobeying my parents. Every saturday, I was forced to study by signing "copy the book from JW's book" to my father and answer his questions whatever he gives about the book chapters that I learned about. Upon my parents' divorce, I finally could reduce studying to once a month whenever I visit my dad for the weekend. As I got older, the study got stopped due to my father got married to non-JW ex-girlfriend from FSDB *a big smh* Being a white lie in two world, I couldn't face the reality to identify my true self in first place, pretending I'm fine but I wasn't cuz I was struggling with myself in the JW.

During my first 3 high school years, I had a habit of studying/doing homeworks right after school until dinnertime, then after dinner until bedtime. I was never involved sports activities cuz my parents forbid me due to avoid socializing. I went through some depression time during Soph/Junior year cuz I felt my mountain of homeworks daily was too much (IE: 9 homeworks out of 6 classes A DAY!) I rarely had a freedom. I was about to go insanity but I stood up and argued with the principal when the senior year started. i passed lot of requirement courses so I had wide variety of selection courses to choose from, I end up pick accounting, gym, 3 straight computer classes, then after lunch I'm a teacher assistant. I gotta love the rich freedom I had throughout the senior year and that widen my mind about JW. Basically I went though some kind of secret senior parties throughout that year.

So after graduation, I didn't get a job until the following fall after summer end, I wasn't happy with my job but still stick to it until my motorcycle accident which cause my back to hurt badly even though I can walk like a old man (now I'm fine lol) at the time, so I went though physical therapy for 5 months. During the first few months of PT, I didn't want to go JW church, which JW call it Kingdom Hall, due to my back injury. As my back got better, I still use the excuses not to attend JW. During the PT months, I was nearly on internet daily whenever I could. I often chat lot with my deaf aunt, whenever she's available to chat. that includes my cousin's ex-girlfriend who I talk to also. I finally told her that i had a feeling for man, not woman which I thought I was the only one in the world when I was growing up. My cousin eventually told me to tell my deaf aunt, whose work at Gallaudet that has many gay/lesbian around DC. When I finally told my aunt, I was relived that she understood and didn't care at all. She knew I was gay during my childhood (I used to play with barbies dolls during childhood but that wasn't even the reason lol) It's just who I am and I can't change. I've tried to change my true self/attraction but failed. So I quit my job then went to Gallaudet which I end up dropped out and came back home a month after hurricane Isabel.

Once back home, I knew I couldn't live wiht my mom and go JW so I got full time job and got a apt with roomies. From that point, I became more of my true self except I was still in "closet" toward my family until sometime last year. My mother tries to get me to "wake up" that my roommate, who was my partner, was living in my apt for free to use my moolah for food etc. At that point I finally erupted and email my mom to respect my partner and that I'M GAY! Of course my mom got upset and broke down in tears and couldn't sleep all night until the following morning, she came to see me, she still loves me no matter what, So finally I could express my true self and anything I want to tell my mother. Later on, I decided it's best for me to write a letter to JW to inform them that I resigned.

In some way, I felt little regret for being rainsed in JW life but in other way I learned lot from my life for many purpose, IE paying it forward, being friendly to people (ofc except when I'm driving... it's my way or get the hell out of my way! lol) :giggle:

I didn't escape the cult, basically I just stop attending which I will explain below. I had a constant adjustment throughout my life: A white lie to everyone and being in two world.

I was born/raised in JW life so I couldn't escape the cult. Once I attended mainstream public school, I did notice the difference between me and other students: No celebration of holidays or birthdays.
I often felt left out by doing other activities instead of holidays/birthdays, I was being teased or mocked about it but it never bothered me because i thought i was a special kid or something lol

I never knew Jehovah's Witnesses was a cult until I learned at deaf institute, evne though they didn't teach specific abt it. I just learned my way around through lot of socializing. My deaf aunt, a retired Gallaudet secretary, was the one who tries to encouraged my parents to send me n my older deaf brother to deaf institute, CSDB: Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind, and finally we went and stayed in dormitories for weekdays then it's back home during weekends. I admit I was a mommaboi so I used to talk to mom alot. Once I learned lot about the holidays/birthdays, I did asked my mom why I couldn't celebrate, she said, "You're too young to understand why, you will understand someday".

As I grew older during the young teenager age, I was very smart but brat, often disobeying my parents. Every saturday, I was forced to study by signing "copy the book from JW's book" to my father and answer his questions whatever he gives about the book chapters that I learned about. Upon my parents' divorce, I finally could reduce studying to once a month whenever I visit my dad for the weekend. As I got older, the study got stopped due to my father got married to non-JW ex-girlfriend from FSDB *a big smh* Being a white lie in two world, I couldn't face the reality to identify my true self in first place, pretending I'm fine but I wasn't cuz I was struggling with myself in the JW.

During my first 3 high school years, I had a habit of studying/doing homeworks right after school until dinnertime, then after dinner until bedtime. I was never involved sports activities cuz my parents forbid me due to avoid socializing. I went through some depression time during Soph/Junior year cuz I felt my mountain of homeworks daily was too much (IE: 9 homeworks out of 6 classes A DAY!) I rarely had a freedom. I was about to go insanity but I stood up and argued with the principal when the senior year started. i passed lot of requirement courses so I had wide variety of selection courses to choose from, I end up pick accounting, gym, 3 straight computer classes, then after lunch I'm a teacher assistant. I gotta love the rich freedom I had throughout the senior year and that widen my mind about JW. Basically I went though some kind of secret senior parties throughout that year.

So after graduation, I didn't get a job until the following fall after summer end, I wasn't happy with my job but still stick to it until my motorcycle accident which cause my back to hurt badly even though I can walk like a old man (now I'm fine lol) at the time, so I went though physical therapy for 5 months. During the first few months of PT, I didn't want to go JW church, which JW call it Kingdom Hall, due to my back injury. As my back got better, I still use the excuses not to attend JW. During the PT months, I was nearly on internet daily whenever I could. I often chat lot with my deaf aunt, whenever she's available to chat. that includes my cousin's ex-girlfriend who I talk to also. I finally told her that i had a feeling for man, not woman which I thought I was the only one in the world when I was growing up. My cousin eventually told me to tell my deaf aunt, whose work at Gallaudet that has many gay/lesbian around DC. When I finally told my aunt, I was relived that she understood and didn't care at all. She knew I was gay during my childhood (I used to play with barbies dolls during childhood but that wasn't even the reason lol) It's just who I am and I can't change. I've tried to change my true self/attraction but failed. So I quit my job then went to Gallaudet which I end up dropped out and came back home a month after hurricane Isabel.

Once back home, I knew I couldn't live wiht my mom and go JW so I got full time job and got a apt with roomies. From that point, I became more of my true self except I was still in "closet" toward my family until sometime last year. My mother tries to get me to "wake up" that my roommate, who was my partner, was living in my apt for free to use my moolah for food etc. At that point I finally erupted and email my mom to respect my partner and that I'M GAY! Of course my mom got upset and broke down in tears and couldn't sleep all night until the following morning, she came to see me, she still loves me no matter what, So finally I could express my true self and anything I want to tell my mother. Later on, I decided it's best for me to write a letter to JW to inform them that I resigned.

In some way, I felt little regret for being rainsed in JW life but in other way I learned lot from my life for many purpose, IE paying it forward, being friendly to people (ofc except when I'm driving... it's my way or get the hell out of my way! lol) :giggle:

Noz --- I am proud of you to stand up and speak out your feeling expression and being a GUT to your family and JW better than hold your inside feeling hurt enough! I would give you a super star! :bump:

I thought it would be more difficult for children of sects to break away, as they usually know of no other way, but would find it even harder to face the outside world on their own as most JW families and friends would be encouraged to ostracise the rebel. Indeed, this would apply to any cult.

You were very lucky to have your family there with you as well. Your mom sounds pretty good considering the "re-educating" she would have been subjected to as a JW.

I wonder if most culties drift away from the life or break and run. Scientologists call this "blowing" and other members are strictly forbidden to communicate with them other than to guide them to the controllers in the movement.

Nozobo, how much does your past education as a JW affect the decisions you make or even your thought processes now? It seems most of what we grieve or celebrate are opposite to the JW beliefs.

I find some things from the past creep into my way of thinking at times, and I have to stop and think if that was cult thinking or more logical?

I remember reading a story some years ago about a couple who had been members of a local JW church for 28 years. They asked the elders why the world hadn't ended yet. The church had been predicting for it to have ended for the 4th time by then. They were then hastily excommunicated from the church for questioning the faith. Their children, family and friends were then strictly prohibited from having any contact with them. They were totally bewildered by this, but more particularly with their family who dropped them like a hot potato.

Just another cult, following the standard cult formula, I remember thinking at the time....

~VIA BB~ Cult which meaning Culture. Like instance, egypt of people are egyptian. Interchange names like egypt or egyptian.

Black panther is their black cult. Because they are strong black group only, want black culture, no white or semtic.. Like Nazi group were powerful magic cult, they believed that german are the pure white people only and killed maggots off from their land for white. That where the cult they follow from...

There have many groups are million cult followers.

Whom is cult list I give:

Christian
Muslim
White racist
Black racist
Jewish
Buddiah
Hndiu
Waco
Jonetown
Amish
Mornon
Skinhead
Kkk
Gay
Deaf
On and on.....

I don't know if I am the cult? I believed what my beliefs is: There is none God but I am He; God is manifest in the flesh among you; therefore as I said there is none any heaven nor jesus is in heaven, or God is not even in heaven period! Because I always believed God is the son of man or God is the flesh and blood of Man, there is none God beside me. You automatically assume that I am cult what you want to make label on me. I am fine with that. You don't know what I am doing with my own beliefs...

I had forgotten about that aspect about cults. Yes, any structured belief, political or lifestyle organization is a cult. There are both positive and negative cults. Thanks for the reminder. :cool2:

My attention in this thread is particularly focused on negative cults and their effects on the individual

*open rant* :iough: MAY :madfawk: Jehovah's Witnesses rot in hell :rl: *close rant*

To answer your question, my personal definition of cult is a religion that refuse to open its mind, be neutral to involve any religion issues and be open to it.

May I ask you, why do they kept bothering me? I told them that I don't believe in god and they would never leave me alone. I told them that if they come here one more time, I am going to sue them for harassment.

For the summarized:

Roman Catholic
Buddhism
Nonreligious
Christianity
Wicca
Theravada Buddhism <=== that is what I am now.

I was used to be Roman Catholic, but my opinion, that religion is nonsense religion because all the times my family kept telling me that I will be forgived, and I can't do things that I will be forgive. It is just giving me the confusing.

So fk Roman Catholic.

Then I was into the Buddhism, but I was too young to understand Buddhism because my parents kept telling me that Buddhism is for me to worshipping to Devil and Buddha is not God, preaching on me many things against Buddhism. So I give up with Buddhism.

So I decide to go with my brother, which are nonreligious, but I feel like what's the point for us to live? Why should we keep working on our interests? So I rather to not be a nonreligious.

Thus, I decide to be on Christianity, but find many things I disagree with Christianity when they stats other religions are Devil, against the homosexuality marriage, etc etc etc

So I fk Christianity, and decide to go with Wicca because of its simple rule "An it harm none, do ye wilt", but I feel like "Why spell?!" so I fk Wicca.

I went back to Buddhism and researching many things that my parents lied to me about Buddhism and I was so inpsired by what the Dharma said, it's like the real spiritual life guide. I became in love with the Buddhism and stick with the Theravada Buddhism for the goal of "Arhantship". So I am a Theravada Buddhism present.

The best teaching, the Buddha!

May I ask you, why do they kept bothering me? I told them that I don't believe in god and they would never leave me alone. I told them that if they come here one more time, I am going to sue them for harassment.

Tell them you won't listen to them at all period or have them give you what's their address of the church where they went to, report to police for continuous harassment that may help or last chance, be nude to answer the door when they rang the doorbell, if they look down or something, tell them that they are welcome to preach you as long they has to be nude too or never come back

Why not? join Monarchy to me?
if you are unhappy joined all cult?
Cult is ALL religions round world
and politics too. Earth is ALL cult
people 100% but pray yourself and
repent Lord Jesus Christ (cult? maybe).

I told you remember cast demon Satan
joined on Earth 1/3 and angles (good)
joined on Earth 2/3 that call heaven war.

That ALL religions good or bad

I don't fk Catholic! I love Catholc
is my Pope authorized but
I'm Mormon.

Amen,

//King Ormond
:bowdown:
:cool: .:rl::whip: :deal: :pissed:

Last edited:
Well I did have something to say, but I forgot what I was supposed to write.

I raised former Jehovah Witness the cult. I am very happy that I am accepted Jesus Christ the Saviour in 1990. I found out truth John 14:6 KJV.

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

I am very proud of you, nozobo for leave JW!

Jesus Christ the Saviour isn't religion and legalism!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back