Any advice for hearing mom w/deaf baby?

Also it tends to foster a "healthy normal" mentality....

deafdyke

Can you please explain to me with regard to the above quote just exactly what you are referring to with the word "it".

Undoubtedly not everyone is good at all things. You continously bring up "speech". My position on CE/CS is not as a speech tool, although their are some people who do use CE/CS to enhance speech. A choice made by families for reasons that they believe in.

Families are not given the opportunity, imo, to explore CE/CS. The enviroment for the parents of deaf children, imo, does not foster the sharing of information. There are so many "camps", each with their own agenda and biases, CE/CS , not excluded here.

CE/CS, imo, gets shoved under the carpet by dhh individuals simply because of the word "speech". Dr. Cornetts' method has and continues to enhance the lives of the families who have choosen CE/CS for themselves and for their deaf child.

If a deaf child has communication and inclusion within the own family unit with CE/CS, why harbour ill will toward parents who do not learn ASL. In reality why should they have to? It seems to me that you feel that it is unacceptable for a child to learn the familial language. Just why is that?

CE/CS makes reading and writing an obtainable skill for deaf children. To not make this journey for a deaf child as obstacle free as possible, is simple unacceptable.

Hey Isaacsmom,
I understand how you feel, and that it is very difficult to cope with it. I am profoundly deaf, and I am the only deaf child in the family. you're not alone and my mom went through the exact same thing when she found that I am profoundly deaf. So, the speech therapist gave my folks only two choices of sign language, ASL or Signed Exact English (SEE). my mom asked her what was the difference between ASL and SEE and mom wanted me to have an ability to read and write so she chose SEE. I completely understand why deaf culture are against SEE, but my family chose what was best for me to learn since I am in the hearing world. the con of family using SEE is that they don't really understand what is it like to be deaf, and COMMUNICATIONS ARE THE BIGGEST ISSUE, because I only depend on eyes and I get called a deaf brat just because my family doesn't really understand where I really came from.

I hope that you will understand how I really feel, and that your son will feel that way if you teach him SEE.

Ya know - there are more hearing parents teaching their "HEARING" babie sign language. Really at this point of time, the key thing is to build up the vocabulary and the communication whether it is thru sign language (I say sign language because everyone has their own choice of communication) or verbal. Yes, verbal would be much more challenging than sign language and I have to say I admire the fact that you are researching and looking for resources for your son to find the best methodology. Honestly - there is NO best methodology - you just raise your son the best way you "FEEL" is best. No one should be passing judgement on you on whatever path you choose to do. All you can do is take a bits and pieces of every information you learn and go from there. Now as for the CI portion - (even though I am from a deaf family and a graduate from Gallaudet University and an active member of the deaf community) I do have a CI - but I am still doing research on CI for young ones - I have no problem seeing older children getting CI (And honestly it isn't as BAD as some people make it out to be - it is a very routine thing) But as for young young ones - I am still looking into it and how it works. But your child can succeed in either way - but you as the parent have to INSTILL the attitude in your child. IT starts with the parents -

Hope this all helps you but generally speaking take everyone's opinions with a grain of salt. Look at the facts and not the opinions and that is what will really help - but do keep in mind the results is ALWAYS different with every individual - no individual is exactly alike!

DefLord said:
Ya know - there are more hearing parents teaching their "HEARING" babie sign language.

Indeed hearing parents are teaching their hearing babies ASL sign(s), or at least signs borrowed from ASL, perhaps modified to fit their family, and then in English word order. If you research these programs you will find that the children, (not younger than 6 months please), can be shown/learn approximately 50 - 75 signs. Signs like hungry, milk and tired, Mommy, Daddy, all the while talking to your hearing baby. Certainly not recieving ASL the language but recieving English with a conceptual sign, that does not nor ever will support what the child is seeing on the lips. Most but not all people who teach the "baby sign" classes, have little or no recognised ASL learning, unless you believe in credentials recieved "on line". There may be the odd exception and the hearing parent will continue to learn signs from ASL, but I believe the chances are slim to none, simply because the child begins to "babble".

It is definately "cute" to see your baby "signing" tired or Mommy, but does it really improve I.Q?? Is there research to support this statement? I think not.

deafdyke - perhaps you missed my questions

deafdyke,

I am really hoping for some clarification from you, with regard questions posed to you, in a previous post in this thread. As you may not have seen my inquires...................

loml said:
deafdyke

Can you please explain to me with regard to the above quote just exactly what you are referring to with the word "it".

If a deaf child has communication and inclusion within the own family unit with CE/CS, why harbour ill will toward parents who do not learn ASL. In reality why should they have to?

It seems to me that you feel that it is unacceptable for a child to learn the familial language. Just why is that?

Looking forward to reading your response.

Back