Another one of those drug test, before you get benifits thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disgusting state of affairs. People should certainly be more concerned about things like this than about finding one or two people on assistance with THC in their system.

At my 2nd job where I work at, it is a group home for adults with developmental needs and some of them have to pay for their own Rx meds due to medicare not covering all of them. As a result, they have to work at poorly paid jobs because they dont have the cognitive abilities to land the better paying jobs. It is a vicious circle for these individuals.

Disgusting state of affairs. People should certainly be more concerned about things like this than about finding one or two people on assistance with THC in their system.

It certainly is disgusting. All she needed was pain medication, and the ER gave her a prescription. I do not think they will again.
Don't worry, I got ways of helping her, but I better shut up about now.

I would agree with you on this. I just don't personally believe that government run healthcare is the right way to fix this problem. And believe you me I know how broken the system is. My family has lots of health related issues and my insurance sucks mostly but I am blessed to have it. I pay for the insurance and then I have to pay to use it. It needs reforming for sure.

Jillio,

I'm sad to say that you are wrong about that at least in my line of work. Most people that I have busted for drugs over the past 18 years have had other criminal convictions. Most of them were for illegal drug possession. Some for stealing offenses as well. I know that it is not always true but in law enforcement it is a large percentage.

But you are not seeing the ones that are using every day of their life and never encounter the law. There are more of those than there are the ones you are busting. The fact that you are only counting the ones seen by law enforcement shows the bias of your assumptions.

I would agree with you on this. I just don't personally believe that government run healthcare is the right way to fix this problem. And believe you me I know how broken the system is. My family has lots of health related issues and my insurance sucks mostly but I am blessed to have it. I pay for the insurance and then I have to pay to use it. It needs reforming for sure.

Then how would you fix it?

I am awake, thank you. This is a free country and has its costs. I do not accept the alternative where a cop follows each citizen all day to make sure nothing untoward occurs. To each his own, I guess.

A cop following a citizen around all day is generally not the norm! In the larger cities the cops go from call to call to call and rarely have time to catch speeders.

It certainly is disgusting. All she needed was pain medication, and the ER gave her a prescription. I do not think they will again.
Don't worry, I got ways of helping her, but I better shut up about now.

Hey, we use the resources we have available to accomplish the needed goal. Sometimes we are forced to use resources we would not have to use if our current health care system was functioning the way it should be.

Then how would you fix it?

I really wish I had a good answer! I guess that government should regulate the insurance companies to a point and then otherwise we should help those less fortunate out. :dunno:

I detest illegal drugs, in any form!...My boys, 17 and 15 told me the other day that even after school, or walking to the store, they are accousted and asked if they want to buy something.....It makes me so angry! And I have reported drug abuse on some people also, who had children and on public assistance.....even some neighbors who were smoking pot on their balcony with children running around.....say what? They were evicted, and good riddance!...I live in an area where drugs are not tolerated in any form....but they are still here!

Drugs can and will destroy families, futures. Even marijuana smoking can lead to much harder drugs.

Just a few days ago, my boys went to the Dock, and some men were smoking pot...my boys came home and told me, so I called Security...I don't want any drugs around me or my family. As I have already lost one member due to drugs...and we are still fighting for her!

Better wake up! I see and hear about it nearly every day! Child abuse and neglect due to parents using drugs, houses blowing up from meth cooks, folks ODing, people killing others on the highway and were found to be under the influence! It is a sad fact of life!

It is an exaggerated fact of life. How many houses have blown up this year due to meth labs in your area?

How many children have been removed from their homes as a result of drug use?

How many ODs have presented at your local ER in the last year? How many of those were the result of illicit drugs?

How many people involved in fatal accidents were found to be under the influence of illicit drugs? How many were found to be under the influence of alcohol, a perfectly legal substance?

I detest illegal drugs, in any form!...My boys, 17 and 15 told me the other day that even after school, or walking to the store, they are accousted and asked if they want to buy something.....It makes me so angry! And I have reported drug abuse on some people also, who had children and on public assistance.....even some neighbors who were smoking pot on their balcony with children running around.....say what? They were evicted, and good riddance!...I live in an area where drugs are not tolerated in any form....but they are still here!

Drugs can and will destroy families, futures. Even marijuana smoking can lead to much harder drugs.

Just a few days ago, my boys went to the Dock, and some men were smoking pot...my boys came home and told me, so I called Security...I don't want any drugs around me or my family. As I have already lost one member due to drugs...and we are still fighting for her!

Just curious. Would you have reported those same people for drinking a beer on their balcony with children around?

I really wish I had a good answer! I guess that government should regulate the insurance companies to a point and then otherwise we should help those less fortunate out. :dunno:

That is exactly what Obama's plan does. Regulates the insurance companies and insures that everyone has coverage available.

:dunno2: I never said anything about prosecuting someone before a crime was committed. ???? And no, sometimes incarceration is the only way to stop repeat crime. I agree that while education works best it does not always work.

I agree, but neither does prison. I do think people who commit crimes should be prosecuted, but not until the crime is committed. This is the way it has been since the beginning of time.

I'm not saying there is not a problem. But there is no easy solution to this, you put a person in a criminal system he becomes a criminal. It's not correction so much as identification. Is that the world we want to live in?

I'm not pro drugs, but (again) you can't legislate stupidity. And, if you label someone a criminal due to physical addiction he will remain one.

Two ways to attack the problem: Make the creation of drugs too expensive or less profitable. And, educate the people before the drug dealers do. The money would be better spent.

There should still be a deterrent, but we should not wholesale take people's lives or livelihood.

It is an exaggerated fact of life. How many houses have blown up this year due to meth labs in your area?

How many children have been removed from their homes as a result of drug use?

How many ODs have presented at your local ER in the last year? How many of those were the result of illicit drugs?

How many people involved in fatal accidents were found to be under the influence of illicit drugs? How many were found to be under the influence of alcohol, a perfectly legal substance?

As far as houses catching fire or blowing up= several
Children being removed from a home due to parental drug use= several
As far as as people ODing= more than a few
You are correct about the alcohol issue. But drugs are sometimes involved too.

I live in a part of the country where meth use, making, selling and using it are king. They are trying to make you get a prescription from your doctor here just to buy psuedoephedrine.

Just curious. Would you have reported those same people for drinking a beer on their balcony with children around?

No....not unless they were falling down drunk and not being able to supervise their small children. Beer isn't illegal, but being public drunk is, isn't it?

Then again, aren't we all trying to teach our children the right way?...I don't have any alcohol in my home, and don't drink Beer. And I don't really think it's a good idea for people to drink alcohol around children, especially teenagers. Some of my own neighbors drink Beer, so do some of my friends, even my sisters. Many members of my family were alcoholics, so it did make me aware and not drink. I cannot deal with drunks!

That is exactly what Obama's plan does. Regulates the insurance companies and insures that everyone has coverage available.

You may have brought me a little closer to the idea but we'll have to wait and see? Good conversation tonight! Gotta run!

I agree, but neither does prison. I do think people who commit crimes should be prosecuted, but not until the crime is committed. This is the way it has been since the beginning of time.

I'm not saying there is not a problem. But there is no easy solution to this, you put a person in a criminal system he becomes a criminal. It's not correction so much as identification. Is that the world we want to live in?

I'm not pro drugs, but (again) you can't legislate stupidity. And, if you label someone a criminal due to physical addiction he will remain one.

Two ways to attack the problem: Make the creation of drugs too expensive or less profitable. And, educate the people before the drug dealers do. The money would be better spent.

There should still be a deterrent, but we should not wholesale take people's lives or livelihood.

Incarceration is not a deterrent, and especially not when discussing drug use. Like you have stated, giving someone the label of criminal only insures the likelihood that they will have to commit further crime in order to survive. Our criminal justice system actually insures recidivism rates will continue to climb.

No....not unless they were falling down drunk and not being able to supervise their small children. Beer isn't illegal, but being public drunk is, isn't it?

Then again, aren't we all trying to teach our children the right way?...I don't have any alcohol in my home, and don't drink Beer. And I don't really think it's a good idea for people to drink alcohol around children, especially teenagers. Some of my own neighbors drink Beer, so do some of my friends, even my sisters. Many members of my family were alcoholics, so it did make me aware and not drink. I cannot deal with drunks!

And yet, alcohol is responsible for more family violence and accidents that pot is.

As far as houses catching fire or blowing up= several
Children being removed from a home due to parental drug use= several
As far as as people ODing= more than a few
You are correct about the alcohol issue. But drugs are sometimes involved too.

I live in a part of the country where meth use, making, selling and using it are king. They are trying to make you get a prescription from your doctor here just to buy psuedoephedrine.

Ummm... I was looking for actual numbers. "Several" doesn't tell me much, and certainly cannot be used to check the number of incidents against the population to get a more realistic ratio of exactly how many times things like this are happening.

Psuedoephredrine has been regulated in my state for several years.

And yet, alcohol is responsible for more family violence and accidents that pot is.

I'm afraid that you are probably correct here. Pot is not so much the real problem but more harsh drugs like cocaine, heroin, meth, extasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back