another good debating topic!

I´m total :jaw: after read those thread here... It´s TOTAL different as Europe where I raised.

if you were invited to a wedding and were allowed to bring a guest,

I consider it as rude and bad manner to bring an uninvited guest because I got an invitation, not a guest. It´s Bride and Groom´s decision who they want to invite... We do is show our respect on Bride and Groom. They show their respect if they are not invited but they can watch them outside of church. This is a voluntarily if they want to give gifts to congrat them or just congrat them as personilty.

would you EXPECT YOUR GUEST TO CONTRIBUTE TOWARDS MONEY/OR GIFT for the bride and groom???

Sorry, I´m total :jaw: on those question... Why should I expect my guest to contribute money or gift for the bride and groom? Should I babysit my guest? No, they are adult and know what they doing. None of uninvited guests, I bring to wedding where I got an invitation... I do not donate the gifts or money for uninvited guests... It´s very rude and bad manner. Uninvited guests should stay ouside and enjoy to watch them and congrats them... , not go in reception to celebrate their wedding.

or it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO TAKE CARE OF THE MONEY/GIFT??? and your guest is just there to tag along and keep you company? :D

No, I am not bring an uninvited guest to keep me company. It´s me, not guests they invited to... I accept their invitation and attend their wedding... I doing for bride and groom, not get guests to keep me company. I enjoy myself to meet new people in any parties. We attend weddings, birthdays, aniversary, festival a lot.

Well how is it in Europe? I always love to learn the customs of other cultures.

I just answer FristyChick´s question.

I just wondering what if invited person bring uninvited guest to attend parties... How many bride and groom invite person then extra get uninvited persons... no need gifts, etc... from uninvited guests... because invited person want to keep uninvited guest company...

I consider it as bad manner and rude... It´s not a friend if invited person want to bring uninvited guest to keep his/her company. It shows true friend when I come alone for bride and groom.

I just wondering what if invited person bring uninvited guest to attend parties... How many bride and groom invite person then extra get uninvited persons... no need gifts, etc... from uninvited guests... because invited person want to keep uninvited guest company...

I consider it as bad manner and rude... It´s not a friend if invited person want to bring uninvited guest to keep his/her company. It shows true friend when I come alone for bride and groom.

I would have to Agreeee you on this!!! As like this... if your guest is annoying needs you around 100 percent then you not gonna enjoy yourself.. like a puppy being lost.. (opps don't hit me for this) As well this is a special day and it doesn't come around again..

Well the situation is different then what you are answering here. The invitation says you are invited, and you may bring a guest. Whomever you choose is now invited to the wedding. That is quite different then you receiving an invitation for just you and you decide to bring a friend. That person is not invited and shouldn't come. We call those people party crashers. If your invitation does not say you and a guest you should never bring another person, that is very rude. But if it does say bring some one with you, why make them wait outside? Why bring them if you make them wait outside. That seems rude. If you bring them and the invitation said that you can bring another person it means that the bride and groom have planned for that person to be there as far as food and drink and space at the tables are concerned. I would be very angry with a person if they said i want you to come to a wedding with me. Then once we got there they said, oh you have to wait outside while i eat and drink and have a good time. I live in FL it is possible to rain everyday and with horrible down pours. If you are outside you get soaked. Or it can start off warm in the morning and be very cold in the afternoon. What if i didn't dress for the weather, now i am out in the cold.......
Did i misunderstand your meaning? I don't understand why you would bring some one with you then make them wait outside for the reception which can take hours.

No, I am not bring an uninvited guest to keep me company. It´s me, not guests they invited to... I accept their invitation and attend their wedding... I doing for bride and groom, not get guests to keep me company. I enjoy myself to meet new people in any parties. We attend weddings, birthdays, aniversary, festival a lot.
The invitation says for you AND one guest. Your guest is invited. You send an RSVP for you and your guest. That way, the bride has an accurate count for the food at the reception. It's not rude because the bride asked you to bring a guest, if you want.

Yeah i agree with everyone here. The guest, who is not invited should not pay for the gift. If you expect them to it is almost like you invited them just so they could pay for half of the gift for a wedding they were not invited to in the first place. It is the person who is invited to the wedding to bring a gift, if they are so inclined or are finacially able. If not then they do not have to bring a gift at all. Your date should never have to chip in on the gift. Besides did they help pick it out? I definately am not paying for something i had no say in getting and there for am not sure if i am able to afford. Especially if i wasn't invited. If the date offers to chip in for the gift they can but you should not expect it.
All the answers here seem to be the same however you are asking additional questions to see if our minds change and they aren't. It appears that you are of the oppinion that the guest should have to pay for half of the gift. I may be wrong though. =)

I agree here...

i think you misunderstood me... i said, if you were invited to a wedding and were allowed to bring a guest,

i wouldn't bring an UNinvited guest to a wedding unless it says so on the invitation... i would say that this is all common sense unless some people don't have the proper etiquette...

the point of this thread is: should a GUEST who is invited to an event by you, have to pay for a gift?... that is all! :)

i hope i am clear!!!??? :)

i don't know what the german culture is like... i have been to weddings where i was allowed to bring a guest (they do that in american cultures, if they can afford more people)....

AND...

*** if brought a guest with me, it means they are invited too.... and i would NEVER leave her/him outside to watch the ceremony and not attend the reception with me?? :confused: ***

i bring a guest if i want to (ONLY if it says on the invitation) to keep me company... many people do that these days... who likes to go to weddings alone??? unless it doesn't say A GUEST on the invitation...

Well the situation is different then what you are answering here. The invitation says you are invited, and you may bring a guest. Whomever you choose is now invited to the wedding. That is quite different then you receiving an invitation for just you and you decide to bring a friend. That person is not invited and shouldn't come. We call those people party crashers. If your invitation does not say you and a guest you should never bring another person, that is very rude.

Thank you for convince me clearly. I understand now that it´s total difference culture between Europe and America. It´s uncommon for European to invite a guest and allow bring his/her guest. We Europeans invite person directly instead of allow them to bring their guest.

But if it does say bring some one with you, why make them wait outside? Why bring them if you make them wait outside. That seems rude. If you bring them and the invitation said that you can bring another person it means that the bride and groom have planned for that person to be there as far as food and drink and space at the tables are concerned. I would be very angry with a person if they said i want you to come to a wedding with me. Then once we got there they said, oh you have to wait outside while i eat and drink and have a good time. I live in FL it is possible to rain everyday and with horrible down pours. If you are outside you get soaked. Or it can start off warm in the morning and be very cold in the afternoon. What if i didn't dress for the weather, now i am out in the cold.......
Did i misunderstand your meaning? I don't understand why you would bring some one with you then make them wait outside for the reception which can take hours.

Yes I feel that you and I misunderstand each other in our previous post.

No, uninvited guests can stay outside of church to wait for them come out of church then congrat bride and groom personality and gave them gift sometimes. (volunaritly)... take a picture of them etc...then go home if the fresh married couple have to leave church for go to reception.

Only invited guests can go in the church and reception, not uninvited guests... Uninvited guests stay outside of church or send a card to them if they can´t make to come to watch their wedding.

I hope you understand what I am trying to explain? If not, I don´t mind to explain again.

The invitation says for you AND one guest. Your guest is invited. You send an RSVP for you and your guest. That way, the bride has an accurate count for the food at the reception. It's not rude because the bride asked you to bring a guest, if you want.

Yes it´s correct that it´s not rude if the invitation says for you and one guest but it´s very uncommon in Europe like this.

i think you misunderstood me... i said, if you were invited to a wedding and were allowed to bring a guest,

i wouldn't bring an UNinvited guest to a wedding unless it says so on the invitation... i would say that this is all common sense unless some people don't have the proper etiquette...

the point of this thread is: should a GUEST who is invited to an event by you, have to pay for a gift?... that is all! :)

i hope i am clear!!!??? :)

Yes I misunderstand your post.. :o See my post toward Southern´s post.

Well the situation is different then what you are answering here. The invitation says you are invited, and you may bring a guest. Whomever you choose is now invited to the wedding. That is quite different then you receiving an invitation for just you and you decide to bring a friend. That person is not invited and shouldn't come. We call those people party crashers. If your invitation does not say you and a guest you should never bring another person, that is very rude. But if it does say bring some one with you, why make them wait outside? Why bring them if you make them wait outside. That seems rude. If you bring them and the invitation said that you can bring another person it means that the bride and groom have planned for that person to be there as far as food and drink and space at the tables are concerned. I would be very angry with a person if they said i want you to come to a wedding with me. Then once we got there they said, oh you have to wait outside while i eat and drink and have a good time. I live in FL it is possible to rain everyday and with horrible down pours. If you are outside you get soaked. Or it can start off warm in the morning and be very cold in the afternoon. What if i didn't dress for the weather, now i am out in the cold.......

southern nailed this better than i did! :-D

i don't know what the german culture is like... i have been to weddings where i was allowed to bring a guest (they do that in american cultures, if they can afford more people)....

Interesting, I would not do that... I rather to invite my friends and relatives instead of get them to bring their guests. I can understand that each culture is different.

*** if brought a guest with me, it means they are invited too.... and i would NEVER leave her/him outside to watch the ceremony and not attend the reception with me?? :confused: ***

You misunderstand me. It´s uninvited guests, I´m talking about. It´s up to uninvited guests if they want to come to watch their wedding where they just come out of church... greeting them and take pictures of them..... then go home when fresh married couple left for reception.

You misunderstand me. It´s uninvited guests, I´m talking about. It´s up to uninvited guests if they want to come to watch their wedding where they just come out of church... greeting them and take pictures of them..... then go home when fresh married couple left for reception>>> that is RIGHT!!! :) .

k, i must have overlooked that :o

Back