Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

That hearing-minded people keep getting good threads locked. GRR!

customer came in today... I have to voice at work... read lips... he came in... had his mouth covered so I asked him what? and he looked at me... said "don't you even speak english?" then I informed him I was Deaf... and then he complained about businesses hiring "disabled people"... can I just say... I can't wait until i'm out of this job...

customer came in today... I have to voice at work... read lips... he came in... had his mouth covered so I asked him what? and he looked at me... said "don't you even speak english?" then I informed him I was Deaf... and then he complained about businesses hiring "disabled people"... can I just say... I can't wait until i'm out of this job...
He is also disabled....socially.

He is also disabled....socially.

yeah... it made me so very mad... I really wanted to kick him out of my store... but I have decided... I really need to find a different job... one that isn't customer service related... one that i can just do my work with... at least I got to see PFH today!

I'm feeling annoyed with good friends who will not admit to being audist. I see it in the threads here on AD all the time, but it hurts more when it happens in the flesh with my best friends. I have talked about audism with my hearing friends and they agree that audism exists, but they refuse to see it in themselves when I point it out. One example is when I was told that I should have been taught phonetics at school. I carefully explain why phonetics wouldn't have helped me as I can't differentiate sounds. The person wouldn't back down saying it would help me pronounce words better. Yet this person claims not to be audist and that they understand where I'm coming from.
:roll:*facepalms*
No they fucking don't know where I'm coming from!!!:madfawk:

Rant over! :)

Wirelessly posted (dorothybaez)

Okay, I'll admit I feel the same way about phonics....I homeschooled both my kids and that's how they learned to read. Granted, my boys are hearing and I only had a mild loss at the time. And honestly, most hearing people have no understanding of how deaf/HOH folks would have a hard time sounding out the words. It's just not something that's easy to wrap your mind around unless you've been there.

Wirelessly posted (dorothybaez)

Okay, I'll admit I feel the same way about phonics....I homeschooled both my kids and that's how they learned to read. Granted, my boys are hearing and I only had a mild loss at the time. And honestly, most hearing people have no understanding of how deaf/HOH folks would have a hard time sounding out the words. It's just not something that's easy to wrap your mind around unless you've been there.

Yep. Phonics has never been my forte. Take the word Moron for example. I always thought it was pronounced More ron (as in drone) till I saw this:
moran-sign-thumb-337x430-25721.jpg

I have the Tea Party to thank for learning how to pronounce the word Moron.

Yep. Phonics has never been my forte. Take the word Moron for example. I always thought it was pronounced More ron (as in drone) till I saw this:
moran-sign-thumb-337x430-25721.jpg

I have the Tea Party to thank for learning how to pronounce the word Moron.

Got get me started on foreign names.. :P One of my most embarrassing moments in my life occurred when I found out the Chinese surname Hung is not pronounced like the English word Hung.

What a jackass.

If that was on the street where it wouldn't have threatened my job, I would have said, "Sir, one day you will have a disability - from old age, if nothing else - and I hope people are as compassionate to you as you have been to me. Good day."

Wow. :hug: Hearies like this...

What a jackass.

If that was on the street where it wouldn't have threatened my job, I would have said, "Sir, one day you will have a disability - from old age, if nothing else - and I hope people are as compassionate to you as you have been to me. Good day."

Yeah... He was a major ass... I really wanted to... hurt him... to scream at him... and inform him how wrong he really was... but i didn't do it... I had to preserve my job...

Wow. :hug: Hearies like this...

thank you deaf skeptic! I really needed the hugs!

...Yet this person claims not to be audist and that they understand where I'm coming from.

Maybe try this example. Tell him put on a blind fold and go into a dark room he's never been to before. Then he needs to cross the room without bumping into anything or tripping over any furniture. If he manages that, he should vacuum the floor and pick up any debris - still blindfolded in this dark room.

Maybe just explaining it that way will wake up his little brain. You have no point of reference for sounds - how can you possible correct something you have no way of referencing?

Phonics annoy me too. "Is easy Sunny, just SOUND IT OUT...shhhh-ehhhh-mmmm" or whatever. Ok but I NOT KNOW WHAT THOSE SOUND LIKE! What part 100% deaf frommbirth hard understand????

Seems so! People often ask me how pronounce my last name, then act surprise I not know. Why not THEY "sound it out" if that so easy? I not know what any letters sound like! How I should know? Idiots.

^^^Ask them what's the best restaurant to go to in Shanghai for Moo Shu Pork. They don't know?!? Why not?!?!

Exactly! "Is your own last name...how you not know how is pronounce?"

Surprise - I not know how pronounce my first name either!

Jackasses.

Back