Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

I think there is a default message, at least for people with voice plans, that says something like "You have reached xxx-xxx-xxxx. Please leave a message after the tone."

Maybe, my phone notifies me of missed calls, but never messages or that I received a call. With my droid I set up voice mail, and someone called and left a message I get notices of received calls and voice mails. Now I just get missed ones, no more received, I'd have to ask my kids to call so they can tell me what it does.

I have wondered what they hear on their end, if anything. I should have hubby call my phone and see what he gets.

When someone's voice mail isn't set up, the usually get something along the lines of "The person you are trying to call has a voice mail box that isn't set up and is unable to receive messages. Goodbye."
I think it varies slightly by carrier, but all basically the same.

Yeah. I will have my husband call my phone and see what he gets, if anything. I do not have a voice plan at all, but people can still call in (wrong numbers!) and I do incur 25 cent charges each time. Erk. Fortunately it happens only once in a while, maybe 3-4 times since I have had my iPhone (a year now).

I was in a computer store and politely asked the manager to turn down the excessive background music. he refused I asked him why. he threw me out of the storeand banned me

My daughter thinks it's funny that I don't hear well. She wouldn't tell me where her phone was, and I could hear it from one ear. Finally got so mad I was yelling at her where it was, and she's just laughing. And the flip side - because I can't understand what she says a lot of the time, I'm not listening. I suppose this is more of a vent, just not really happy right now and wanted to get it off me. I hate being angry with her over things like this.

Ok, I have a question. I read much of the beginning of this set of posts about annoying hearing people. I am a hearing person who doesn't want to be annoying OR disrespectful. I do know the fingerspelling alphabet and a few signs, but not many. I would really like to learn more about both Deaf culture and signing. For example, if I want to talk (communicate) with a person I saw signing, would it be considered rude to introduce myself as best I could with sign? If I were having troubles with signing, would it be considered rude to ask if the person can read lips?

I think that perhaps one problem hearing people have with deafness is that we can't imagine it. If I lost my hearing, of course I'd want to get it back again. Some can't imagine not needing to hear.

I hope someone can answer my questions. Thanks in advance.

My ASL teacher -Deaf - hates it when hearing ask her if she can speechread.
Many of the kinds of things you wonder about are already posted here in various threads if you look around-

In my opinion, I don't see anything wrong with asking a deaf person if they can read lips because some can't. It's good to know where you stand once they answer whether you can continue to speak, fingerspell or paper/pen.

My annoying hearing person story today....

My husband is hearing and he left a mess in the kitchen. How annoying!

Wirelessly posted

shel90 said:

:lol:

You are probably wondering why men (I had a uncle like that) make good food in the kitchen but truly make a mess in the kitchen. My uncle made delicious dishes or food in the kitchen, but refused to clean up the kitchen. My mother and I had to clean up after him when he was done with using the kitchen. :lol:

Men should need to know how to take care of the house for cleaning and fixing too. I guess men are used to mothers taking care of the boys who don't learn how to clean up after they had learned to cook. Women always seem to pick after them. :roll:

You are probably wondering why men (I had a uncle like that) make good food in the kitchen but truly make a mess in the kitchen. My uncle made delicious dishes or food in the kitchen, but refused to clean up the kitchen. My mother and I had to clean up after him when he was done with using the kitchen. :lol:

Men should need to know how to take care of the house for cleaning and fixing too. I guess men are used to mothers taking care of the boys who don't learn how to clean up after they had learned to cook. Women always seem to pick after them. :roll:

If I cook, you clean, and vice versa.

My son is like that....such a real good cook...but oh so messy...I've taught him how to "clean as you go"...it's better than it was now...My peeve is that he uses the dish towel instead of the dish rag for everything he wipes down....he'll use 3-4 dish towels at one time....:roll:

I was quite sure that my husband didn't put spices directly on food, but threw them into the air to let the spices land on the food.

I was quite sure that my husband didn't put spices directly on food, but threw them into the air to let the spices land on the food.

There is a chef on "The Chew" on ABC that doesn't throw the spices up in the air but holds them up at arm length and lets them rain down on the food.

Back