Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

What really annoys me is when someone acts exactly like I did when I first joined. lol

I geddit now ok?? Gee. Thick skin isn't enough. You must try to understand what the "deal" is about. Like "doing xx is rude". I would have reacted in a hurt way. Now I go - "Oooh! Woops! Thanks for telling me, now I understand". Then I will try not to do it again (very often). No use in just skimming, sometimes we are taught and we will learn. Which usually means someone cares enough to comment, to teach. What is worse are those who smirk and point privately. No lessons like that!

Remember that some folks seem gruff who definately are not. Unless provoked... shiver... Just imagine a sly smile along with some words. No problems.

How do I know? I started my Deaf Journey as a dumb ex hearie with a definate poor me, sensitive attitude. Miles made and miles to go. Dont be hurt or offended. Read, learn and try to do so with grace. Good learning!

I studied French for years in school. Useful? No, way!

hahaha! it's that stupid "errr" that they use as a verbal pause between words. it strings all the words together into an indistinguishable garble to my ears.

I find the English easy to understand. Have you been to the South? It took me a week to learn how to understand Alabama English which definitely merits its own category.

I met a southern (very) guy who was describing his cooking prowess to me:

"I know how taballweenies" What? "taballeweenies". :confused:

Translation to boil wieners!

hahaha! it's that stupid "errr" that they use as a verbal pause between words. it strings all the words together into an indistinguishable garble to my ears.

I find the English easy to understand. Have you been to the South? It took me a week to learn how to understand Alabama English which definitely merits its own category.

America is across the ocean, but I hear various American dialects on TV occasionally.

My list of hard-to-hear languages is Danish, French, Dutch and possibly Swiss-German.

The other night I went out with some friends and I was standing at the bar. I happened to have my hair pulled up and it's rare when anyone ever mentions my hearing aids, (most people just stare lol.) this lady who was a little drunk was staring at me, she was sitting on the stool next to where I was standing. I caught her staring and she says "do u wear ear plugs all the time?" my first reaction was "huh" but then realized she was talking about my ha's. I told her they were hearing aids and she went on to talk about how cool they are cause of the color of molds. When I thought this convo was over she then goes on to tell me how she thinks she's losing her hearing and it was cool tonsee someone who was deaf out and about interacting with other people as if I should be locked in a closet or something. By this time I was annoyed and had walked away. I hate when people are ignorant and it bothers the time I'm having...

The other night I went out with some friends and I was standing at the bar. I happened to have my hair pulled up and it's rare when anyone ever mentions my hearing aids, (most people just stare lol.) this lady who was a little drunk was staring at me, she was sitting on the stool next to where I was standing. I caught her staring and she says "do u wear ear plugs all the time?" my first reaction was "huh" but then realized she was talking about my ha's. I told her they were hearing aids and she went on to talk about how cool they are cause of the color of molds. When I thought this convo was over she then goes on to tell me how she thinks she's losing her hearing and it was cool tonsee someone who was deaf out and about interacting with other people as if I should be locked in a closet or something. By this time I was annoyed and had walked away. I hate when people are ignorant and it bothers the time I'm having...

Well, another way to look at this is she learned something that night. When you think about it - how often do you see deaf people out and about? I can't remember the last time I saw a deaf person outside of deaf social activities. It's kind of understandable that for them and even for me, to see a deaf person out and about, socializing, unhampered by a disability is noteworthy.

Well, another way to look at this is she learned something that night. When you think about it - how often do you see deaf people out and about? I can't remember the last time I saw a deaf person outside of deaf social activities. It's kind of understandable that for them and even for me, to see a deaf person out and about, socializing, unhampered by a disability is noteworthy.

Yeah I guess I can see what you are saying, but I guess I just think back to before I was diagnosed. I never stared at people with disabilities or anything. Then again I don't really do any deaf activities around here as I don't know really anyone in the Deaf community around here. I know I know I should :)

I remmy the time that several g/f's and I got together one Saturday night, and decided to go out clubbing and having a good time. As we were sitting at the bar, this man came over and started "speaking" to my friend....she told him that she was deaf and to speak "slower"...He said, "ur deaf? What are you doing here? All deaf people should stay home!"

He walked off, acting like he had just wasted his time. My g/f was upset. But I was angry. And when he turned around again, I gave him the "bird".

I remmy the time that several g/f's and I got together one Saturday night, and decided to go out clubbing and having a good time. As we were sitting at the bar, this man came over and started "speaking" to my friend....she told him that she was deaf and to speak "slower"...He said, "ur deaf? What are you doing here? All deaf people should stay home!"

He walked off, acting like he had just wasted his time. My g/f was upset. But I was angry. And when he turned around again, I gave him the "bird".

Yeah that is how I kinda felt when that lady stared at me and went on about how it was neat that I go out lol

Yeah that is how I kinda felt when that lady stared at me and went on about how it was neat that I go out lol

Ah! that's different - when people tell you that because you're deaf, you shouldn't....fill in the blanks. that would make me want to tell them off. Like that drunk driver who tried to blame his bad driving on my deafness even though he backed up into my car that was parked at a gas pump, switched off.

Well, I can say this...get ready, younguns'!...When you get older, it's not gonna be much different....people "assume" that since ur deaf and old...you can't do this or that, and can't go anywhere without some "hearing" help.....No matter if you're still mobile and can drive and ur mind is still intact.....
I even had to get very rude, when someone (hearing) took my arm to lead me to the doctor's office, as if I did not know the way or whatever their thought was....Perhaps their meaning of doing this (or their thought) was just being helpful...I'm not an invalid yet....so I just removed their arm and said..."I got it!"....

Even ran into someone who said.."ur Deaf?"...My cousin is deaf too! (and he was talking to me like a normal hearie does)...."my cousin even drives!"...as if that was really so remarkable!....

Nothing has changed very much since I became deaf...I do note the education among deafies thru the years has been awesome!...But it's the hearing perspective of deafies that hasn't been changed very much....

Nothing has changed very much since I became deaf...I do note the education among deafies thru the years has been awesome!...But it's the hearing perspective of deafies that hasn't been changed very much....

Unfortunately, I have to agree with your sentiments. Though I wish that the hearies during their education had gotten some 2 by 4 to the head treatment about people with disabilities, particularly the invisible ones like hearing loss. That's one subject that direly needs to be taught but society foolishly doesn't deem it necessary! :pissed:

Gee with mobility issues (this is an aside by the way) I as a 20Something year old petite female going to the handicapped stall (if available) as sitting -under- my knees isn't easy and hurts.

I came out,

Other: "That stall is for HANDICAPPED people"
Me: "Yes, it is- good to know I used the right one."
Other: "No- for people you know, that have problems walking and sitting..."
Me: "Thank you for clarifying, just because I'm not in a chair doesn't mean I don't qualify to use that space..."
Other: "Humph!"
----
Much later I thought up: "Yes you can't use it ignorance and poor behavior are not considered handicaps in this country" (but it was too late)

Gee with mobility issues (this is an aside by the way) I as a 20Something year old petite female going to the handicapped stall (if available) as sitting -under- my knees isn't easy and hurts.

I came out,

Me: "Thank you for clarifying, just because I'm not in a chair doesn't mean I don't qualify to use that space..."
----
Much later I thought up: "Yes you can't use it ignorance and poor behavior are not considered handicaps in this country" (but it was too late)

Sitting under your knees? What??

Sitting under your knees? What??

Most public Ts are at a height where my hips are under my knees when I sit on them... making it hard to get back up.

And I'm short- (so my knees are closer to the ground then some other knees)

but I don't mean to derail the thread.

I came out,

----

It is my opinion that the handicap stalls are there for the convenince for those who need a larger stall, easier access, etc. However, that does not mean that ONLY handicapped people can use it. Unless there is a line for the stalls and there is an obvious handicap person (like someone in a wheelchair) near the front of the line, I will use the handicap stall.

It is my opinion that the handicap stalls are there for the convenince for those who need a larger stall, easier access, etc. However, that does not mean that ONLY handicapped people can use it. Unless there is a line for the stalls and there is an obvious handicap person (like someone in a wheelchair) near the front of the line, I will use the handicap stall.

This is true too- the person was being a moron, and pointing it out to everyone else.

Not all things come with a flashing neon sign... not all conditions (disabling or not) are obvious.

I remember reading once about a small clothing store that had two dressing rooms. One was handicap accessible. But they wouldn't let normal people use it, EVER!!! Things would back up in the changing room because the store seemed to think that a dressing room was on the same need-to-use basis as parking.

I remember reading once about a small clothing store that had two dressing rooms. One was handicap accessible. But they wouldn't let normal people use it, EVER!!! Things would back up in the changing room because the store seemed to think that a dressing room was on the same need-to-use basis as parking.

Stupid, what would I have to "run" to my car to get a hani-placard? Morons.

:roll:

found this the other day... reminded me about the phonics conversation we were having...
Screenshot2011-11-15at100124PM.png

Back