Anime to see...?

-_-'

Love Hina Anime < Love Hina Manga

ShinobuDNPTag2.gif

Which version Shinobu is hotter?

MonwearMotoko.gif

Monwear requested me for making Motoko avatar. :o

I dont know if you got my PM, but I was wondering if there's an signture you could make for me sometime? :D

Hehe, I've noticed that in a LOT of Japanese anime, the Japanese characters have HUGE eyes while the American/other foreigners have small eyes, and I would have thought that it would be the other way around in reality. I don't have an explanation for this, I was hoping someone else would be able to explain why.

There's another thing too... why do all the girls pick on the guys?? Hehe, most anime series I've seen so far makes the guy seem weak and helpless while the girls are enjoying their daily punch em ups on the boys.

Ziusudra said:
Hehe, I've noticed that in a LOT of Japanese anime, the Japanese characters have HUGE eyes while the American/other foreigners have small eyes, and I would have thought that it would be the other way around in reality. I don't have an explanation for this, I was hoping someone else would be able to explain why.

There's another thing too... why do all the girls pick on the guys?? Hehe, most anime series I've seen so far makes the guy seem weak and helpless while the girls are enjoying their daily punch em ups on the boys.

Hehe - http://www.razortalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=115 There's a discussion on anime/manga. Read NeonDragon's post about his hybrid comment (scroll far down, just above the last post). You may find it interesting!

Also, about huge eyes.. I guess it's like small feet are beautiful - I have seen photos of asian girls undergoing plastic surgery to widen their eyes or give them a more cacusian look with lids. It's sort of sad because I think the asian look is very attractive, too.

I guess the girls picking on the guys is a way to show tension - that they really like the guys! It's supposed to be exaggeration and funny with that stereotype. :dunno:

I also don't know why magical girls are a popular genre, too. Like card captor sakura, sailor moon, and all the like. And a type of competition or game... like Pokemon. Why is "angsty" a popular feeling to have in manga/anime plots?

I also think it's interesting that there's a genre for boy transformed to magical/regular girl, like Ranma 1/2 and A Cheeky Angel. Not to mention the popular online manga Valkyrie Yuuki at http://www.sgvy.com/ either.. and yaoi mangas also seem to be popular with girls who do them. :)

I also like parodies... like the strange candy and sexylosers.

Lol. Yeah, I know, it could be the "little people's syndrome" as well with Japanese anime.

Liza said:
I also don't know why magical girls are a popular genre, too. Like card captor sakura, sailor moon, and all the like. And a type of competition or game... like Pokemon. Why is "angsty" a popular feeling to have in manga/anime plots?

I also think it's interesting that there's a genre for boy transformed to magical/regular girl, like Ranma 1/2 and A Cheeky Angel. Not to mention the popular online manga Valkyrie Yuuki at http://www.sgvy.com/ either.. and yaoi mangas also seem to be popular with girls who do them. :)

I also like parodies... like the strange candy and sexylosers.
I love magical girl pretty sammy! ^^ definetly hiralous

(spin off in the Tenchi Muyo! series)

Ziusudra said:

Well, I heard that it all began in WWII, when the japanese and americans were enemies, and some artists of two countries started drawing "cartoons" and making fun of eachother, while the americans made fun of the japanese having "rabbit teeth" sticking out of their mouth and thin eyes that makes them look blind and the Japanese made fun of the americans having big, round eyes and being tough shit when they really arent, etc...

so some japanese were really interested in how they drew those "cartoons" and so that's proably when the birth of Anime begins...but I believe there's more to it anyway

They say the first furries depicted in a "manga" that were picture scrolls from 6th and 7th centuries by Buddhist monks.

http://www.tapanime.com/info/historym.html

"The word manga literally translated means "irresponsible pictures"."
http://www.tapanime.com/info/whatm.html

"Anime (pronounce as ah-nee-meh) refers to Japanese animation. The actual word is borrowed from the French term for animation."

"Why do fans love anime and manga?

That depends upon the taste of the individual viewer. However, some of the contributing factors, not in any particular order, may include:

* Intricate plots and storylines. Most anime and manga consist of a great storyline, and there is a great amount of detail which you have to look out for. In general, Japanese culture is less hung up on nudity and violence, but this does not mean, however, that anime and manga have less plot; quite the opposite in fact. Anime and Manga are usually less cliche'd, and contain much more variety and life than most western animation and comics, not to mention quite a few live-action shows and movies.

* Wide variety of topics and styles. There are anime and manga to fit any and every subject, ranging from the very silly to the very serious. Be it action/adventure, comedy, fantasy, horror, martial arts, science fiction, or sports all genres are represented. Also, anime and manga are usually not specifically intended for any particular age group which adds to their broad appeal.

* The Emotions. Anime and Manga tend to be very emotional. Be it an action/advenutre, comedy, romance, or tragedy, anime and manga fire up emotions that other animation and comics and even non-animated shows fail to do.

* Great artwork. The animation and artwork in anime and manga usually far surpasses other animation and comics, both in detail and style. Anime and Manga characters are drawn to fit an environment, and don't appear like two-dimensional add-on's. And yes, everyone notices the big eyes that some anime and manga characters have. Though many traditional animation fans see Disney as the pinnacle of animation achievement, anime tends to concentrate on a higher level of detail in the artwork rather than fluidity of motion."
http://www.tapanime.com/info/what.html

What's up with those school uniforms?

"Seifuku have a special meaning for a Japanese person. Their school uniform becomes a symbol of their growth, a reminder of some of their greatest memories, and a trophy of their childhood. Japanese students absolutely love wearing seifuku, contrary to what most Americans would assume; in fact, many girls choose the school they go to based on the school's seifuku. As a result of this importance, the seifuku commonly holds a special place in Anime."

Read more at:

http://www.tapanime.com/info/seifuku.html

To Steel: huh??? I do not know that you did pm to me. =/ I am Shoryuken, Tagmonkey, and StreetfighterX member. PM did pop on my computer. I do not see pm pops to me. I will check it soon.

A Cheeky Angel is not magical girl. It is sort of shouen. :o Megumi got cursed.

DNPMegumi.gif

=P

Steel said:
Can an anime be computer graphics, or must it be cartoon?
Answer:

I think the determination of whether or not full CG can be considered "anime" is something that remains to be decided, although Japan's animation industry seems to believe that the answer is yes. There have been quite a number of full CG rendered animation titles released in Japan including Galerians: Rion, A.Li.Ce, Malice Doll, Cubix, Blue Remains, Archetypes Forces, and the upcoming Aqua Kids TV series. Square Enix is working on the Final Fantasy: Advent Children movie but has not promoted it as "anime." In Japan, titles like A.Li.Ce, Blue Remains and Archetypes Forces are not called "anime." They are referred to as "full CG animation." However, Japanese trailers for the full CG Appleseed movie promote the film as Japan's first full computer animated "anime."

But the Japanese claim that the Appleseed movie is the world's first CG anime may be questioned considering that Japanese society seems to have a double standard for what exactly constitutes "anime." At times, in Japan the word "anime" refers exclusively to Japanese animation, and in other cases the word "anime" is used in Japan to refer to animation of any type, style and origin.

So I can't really answer this question yet because I'm not entirely sure that this question has an answer yet. No full CG animation production that I'm aware of, prior to the new Appleseed movie, has been officially classified as "anime" in Japan. That would make the classification of the Appleseed movie as the "first CG anime" rather arbitrary and more than a little arguable, which suggests that the label of Appleseed as the world's first "CG anime" is nothing more than a marketing tag-line created to capitalize on the popularity of "anime."

But in another sense, if we define "anime" as merely Japanese animation, then Japanese produced full computer rendered animation would absolutely constitute "anime." It's simply not a traditional type or appearance of anime that we're used to.
First CG anime..? Well, there are quite several animes that are CG'ed already. Example: Blue Submarine No. 6, Cowboy Bebop, Vandread, etc etc. I am 3D artist myselfl, I subscribed few 3D magazine and there are few articles that talked about anime studio who used 3D applications to make animes like Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebops and more. Some 3D applications have a feature that can offer cel-shaded style (anime/cartoon colors) so nowaday it is difficult to tell if it is traditional or 3D.

Anyway about which animes you should have watch, here's list:

Gungrave
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
Mezzo DSA (love this anime)
PlanetES (one of my favorite animes/mangas)
Uninhabited Planet SURVIVE
Read or Die TV
Brain Powerd
Cowboy Bebop (Almost everyone watch that anime..)
Paranoia Agent
Cosprayer (Cosmopolitan Prayers)
3000 Leagues in search of Mother (From the Apennines to the Andes)
Fullmetal Alchemist
Gravion Zwei
Castle of Cagliostro
Lupin III series (Jame Bond-alike but hilarious)
Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 1st & 2nd GIG
Serial Experiments Lain
Macross series (Huge Macross fan)
Macross Plus
Kite
Last Exile (Bestest anime ever since Macross, check my review out in cartoon forum)
Big O
Blue Submarin No.6
Wolf's Rain
Sol Bianca
Gunslinger Girl
Witch Hunter Robin
Hellsing
Saishu Heiki Kanojo
Kiddy Grade
Melty Lancer
Full Metal Panic!
Initial D (incredible car techniques anime, it will convert you "car-haters" to "car-lover")
Princess Mononoke (I watched the fansub translation, not Disney's [eww])
Boogiepop Phantom (Serial Experiments Lain-alike but weird)
Chrno Crusade
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Record of Lodoss War
My Neighbor Totoro
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Spirited Away
Chinese Ghost Story
Love Hina

Actually there are much more.. but I dunno if you want me to list some more recommendation for you to watch. And all of them are either fansubbed or on DVDs that translated by US Distributions. I never watch any animes on TV, I absolutely hate America TV for what they did to animes, they horribly butchered these animes.. Also I was a formerly reviewer/staff of animeondvd.com at time and still do for two anime communities however I am a staff of one anime community, I usually get 1-4+ old/new anime series daily from people (thru Streamload, I have like 1,200 anime series and more in my account) to watch so I am wayyyy behind on these old/new animes.

I am not anime freak but I enjoy watch the animes, much more than watching the hollywood movies. Nowaday 90% of hollywood's new movies are joke. Heck even my date fell in love with animes when I introduced her to animes, hooray.

I probably will add some more new animes (recommendation to watch) in any time though.

Last edited:
damn that's a pretty long list lol

and I've seen "Big O" on toonanmi afew times...and alot of anime fans consider this to be a copycat to "batman" or something like that

Yeah, Big O unfortunately DOES look like Batman. Sorry about a long list.. if you want me to post the screenshots, short reviews or whatever on that list, let me know.

-_-'

I watched many anime series since 1993 as I was member of RIT Anime Club.

Chinese Ghost Story the Animated Movie is Hong Kong Animation, not Japanese Animation.

Let me check...

Worse Anime:

Bronze Zetsuai since 1989
Gauche the Cellist
Lesson XX
T-oy (boring)

First time to watch English dubbed: (I am not sure which one)
Battle of the Planet
Starblazer
Speed Racer

First time to watch Japanese dubbed:
Urusei Yatsura (I did not know what anime until I did know what anime when I did watch Macross Do You Remember Love. *I thought it was Robotech movie*)

Well, I watched animes like Transformers and Robotech on the TV way back in 80's and fell in love with animes ever since. But actually, when and how long does not matter as long as we do enjoy watching the animes.. that's where it count on ;]

And also this is offtopic.. do you ever read "Battle Angel Alita and Battle Angel Alita: Last Order"? It's one of my favorite manga to read or collect. I read it like 10-20 times ever since I got my hands on it.

oh btw, what's your rate on Starblazer? Will it worth my time to watch or not?

Last edited:
I've been wanting to read Battle Angel Alita for a while, I was told of it and it sounds really good. I wouldn't mind buying the manga if only I knew where to. :/

I'll post a list of reasons why I love anime. Those are the main reasons, when I have more time, I'll post some more reasons.

1. The storyline
It's very wacky and very unlike anything else I've ever seen. It's all a concept of vast imagination. Take Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, one episode is very like a video game and the next episode is in a totally different place. It's like a silly adventure that everyone would love to be on.

2. The humour
This is very common in a lot of anime, no matter how small the part of comedy seems. Love Hina, for example, is classic humour with the girl being powerful and angry and having an unfair sense of justice (or so it seems to the poor beaten up guy.) But it's the way the humour is expressed, in a comedical and hilarious manner, that makes it funny.

3. The animation
This factor gives it more flexibility than live action shows. Action sequences and so on are more flexible than the most flexible people so it matches to the imagination of the story. It just gives anime that "funny, flexible look".

Back