An update on my cat, Suki's health

Sosie

Reaction score
Yesterday am, I took Suki, a Siamese cat (Blue Point, a 15 years old) to the vet for her rabies vaccine shots. I told the vet that I was so concerned about her health, she seemed lost some weight because she vomited, and she still has a difficulty breathing. The vet examined Suki and she weighted her and said she lost one pound. She said she would like to run some tests like blood work, thyroid level, stools on Suki, which she did. And she also said she'd let me know about her results either by today or in a few days. This am, I got a message from the vet to say that Suki's blood results all came back normal, which is good news. The vet said she wants to do anesthesia, chest x-rays & endoscopy and she also wants me to bring my cat in next Tuesday. So, I will bring her in.
I hope Suki will be OK. Of course, I am worried. I love her so much because she is a good cat. She is so sweet, she's very lovable and she's so friendly, with everyone. She always follow me everywhere I go, she jumps and sits on the bathtub's edge while I am taking a bath, how cute?! :giggle: And she enjoys riding with me in my car. I always bring Suki to Petsmart or Petco stores, that she enjoys and I get nice compliments from people.

wow! suki sounds a great cat! She has a good 15 years of her life. :D my three cats are not too happy to be riding a car. Their behaviors look like they suffer real bad when they ride in the car. oh cats!
hope all is well with suki at the dr and hope she is doing ok so far.

:hug: for you and pat for Suki!

Hope Suki will get better soon.... WOW you have a cat that is not afraid to drive around. Mine would meow endlessly :giggle:

Please keep us posted about your kitty!

Jamie

wow! suki sounds a great cat! She has a good 15 years of her life. :D my three cats are not too happy to be riding a car. Their behaviors look like they suffer real bad when they ride in the car. oh cats!
hope all is well with suki at the dr and hope she is doing ok so far.

Yes, she is. Thanks. I remember I took Suki for a ride when she was a kitten and she got used to it. (Poor your three cats! LOL. Next time, you will try to do that!) Suki loves the ride ever since then.. She sits on my lap in front of me while I am driving. People are telling me that she's driving for me. :giggle:
Me, too, I hope it goes well with Suki. I will keep you posted. Of course, I am worried. Thanks for thinking of my cat, Frisky Feline. ;)

:hug: for you and pat for Suki!

Hope Suki will get better soon.... WOW you have a cat that is not afraid to drive around. Mine would meow endlessly :giggle:

Please keep us posted about your kitty!

Jamie

:giggle: I know what it like because I went thru my cats. And dogs, too. They drove me crazy!!! (I had to keep them in the cages... Unlike Suki!)
Yes, I will keep you posted as soon as I hear from the vet. No, Suki is not afraid of riding in the car. She got used to it when she was a kitten. Thanks for thinking of my cat!!!

Yes, she is. Thanks. I remember I took Suki for a ride when she was a kitten and she got used to it. (Poor your three cats! LOL. Next time, you will try to do that!) Suki loves the ride ever since then.. She sits on my lap in front of me while I am driving. People are telling me that she's driving for me. :giggle:
Me, too, I hope it goes well with Suki. I will keep you posted. Of course, I am worried. Thanks for thinking of my cat, Frisky Feline. ;)

ha ha i would think that suki is driving for you. :giggle: In the NEAR future, i plan to adopt a kitten. I will try to drive more often with kitten once kitten get use to it.

One of them WON'T shut up, keep meowing every seconds. :ugh: One of them won't move at all and frozen like a statue. :giggle: One of them keep moving and sometimes POOPS. :shock:

Important that SUKI is a happy catty girl!

Yesterday, Dr. called me at home. Here is what he told me:
Suki did fine with the procedures they did today. First they gave her anesthesia and took x-rays. He looked more at the x-rays, but they looked OK so far.
He looked at her throat and saw that her throat (like tonsils) looked infected. He took samples to check what kind of infection. Then he checked her nose. Inside her nose, too, looked infected. He took samples there, too. Then he looked further back inside her nose and on the left side, he found a tumor. The tumor is small. He is not sure if it is cancer or not. Probably not cancer, he said, but he took a biopsy to check on it.
About the treatment for Suki in the future: The vet recommended two medicines for Suki - an antibiotic, and an anti-inflammatory (like aspirin or ibuprofen, but for cats.) This should help the infections and irritation in her nose and throat. For the tumor, the vet said maybe (depending on what kind of tumor) we should just leave it alone. Other possible treatments: radiation treatment, chemotherapy, or surgery to remove it. (He does not do that kind of surgery - she would need to go to a bigger animal hospital.)
But, he is not sure of the treatment yet because he does not know what kind of tumor it is. He said probably benign, not cancer. The vet also said they will email me (at work) with results in about a week.

:hug: I am sorry. keep me posted...

one of my cat is taking a medicine for his painful hips. He's almost 9 years old. Indeed, He has arthritisi hips. I do know the feeling.

Wow! Your cat is 15 years old. Suki has been in a good health for a long time. I wonder that she has a stuffy nose from perhaps a small nasal polyp.

:hug: I am sorry. keep me posted...

one of my cat is taking a medicine for his painful hips. He's almost 9 years old. Indeed, He has arthritisi hips. I do know the feeling.

Thanks. OK, I will keep you posted.

I am sorry to hear about your cat. :hug: I know it's no fun to give our cats some medicines every day. My Suki hates to take medicines. :giggle:

Again, I am sorry to hear that.

I hope everything goes well with your cat.

Thanks. My Suki seems OK but I have noticed that she's sneezing once in a while and also, she is rubbing her nose a several times. I know that she doesn't feel comfortable with her nose. Poor Suki!!!
Thanks again.

Wow! Your cat is 15 years old. Suki has been in a good health for a long time. I wonder that she has a stuffy nose from perhaps a small nasal polyp.

Webexplorer, the vet looked into Suki's nose with an endoscope that magnified. So, if there was a polyp, the vet should have seen it. The vet did not say anything to me about a polyp.
I found an article on the web about polyps in cats. It says that cats usually get them at a young age, like one or two years old. It would be unusual in a cat as old as Suki.
Nasopharyngeal Polyps

*hugs* keep us posted, and hope the medications will help.

:hug: back to you. :) Thanks. I will keep you all posted. Me, too, I hope the medications will help Suki. (She is taking her meds every 24 hours for a week.)
Thanks again.

Yesterday, Dr. called me at home. Here is what he told me:
Suki did fine with the procedures they did today. First they gave her anesthesia and took x-rays. He looked more at the x-rays, but they looked OK so far.
He looked at her throat and saw that her throat (like tonsils) looked infected. He took samples to check what kind of infection. Then he checked her nose. Inside her nose, too, looked infected. He took samples there, too. Then he looked further back inside her nose and on the left side, he found a tumor. The tumor is small. He is not sure if it is cancer or not. Probably not cancer, he said, but he took a biopsy to check on it.
About the treatment for Suki in the future: The vet recommended two medicines for Suki - an antibiotic, and an anti-inflammatory (like aspirin or ibuprofen, but for cats.) This should help the infections and irritation in her nose and throat. For the tumor, the vet said maybe (depending on what kind of tumor) we should just leave it alone. Other possible treatments: radiation treatment, chemotherapy, or surgery to remove it. (He does not do that kind of surgery - she would need to go to a bigger animal hospital.)
But, he is not sure of the treatment yet because he does not know what kind of tumor it is. He said probably benign, not cancer. The vet also said they will email me (at work) with results in about a week.

Hope It is not serious! 15 years old Great!! keep us update! :)

:grouphug:

Webexplorer, the vet looked into Suki's nose with an endoscope that magnified. So, if there was a polyp, the vet should have seen it. The vet did not say anything to me about a polyp.
I found an article on the web about polyps in cats. It says that cats usually get them at a young age, like one or two years old. It would be unusual in a cat as old as Suki.
Nasopharyngeal Polyps

I read this link. Wow. I am afraid of reading the article because it was a deep surgery. I guess that it would be a way to use is a medicine to shrink the "polyp" instead of the surgery for your cat's age. I hope that it is less serious that she has now. I imagine that she is a brave and tough cat. You know what I mean.

Off topic, my father has nasal polyps, and he took a steroid medicine once in six months. I think it is Prednisolone or other word that look the same name. This medicine is a high toxic, but it helps my father to breath thru his nose better. I think that this medicine makes the heart fast after taking this medicine in a few days - unsure.

Hope It is not serious! 15 years old Great!! keep us update! :)

:grouphug:

Phillips,
Thanks but it is serious.
The vet called me last night. He said he received some of the test results for Suki. He still does not know about all of her infections. But, he did find out about the biopsy of the growth in her nose.
He said Suki has cancer there. Well, I think it is best to put her to sleep soon. She has suffered enough and would have to suffer more with the surgery and treatment. I know this is so painful for me, as she is like my child. :(
Thanks for hugging!

I read this link. Wow. I am afraid of reading the article because it was a deep surgery. I guess that it would be a way to use is a medicine to shrink the "polyp" instead of the surgery for your cat's age. I hope that it is less serious that she has now. I imagine that she is a brave and tough cat. You know what I mean.
Well, unfortunately, Suki has cancer there.

Off topic, my father has nasal polyps, and he took a steroid medicine once in six months. I think it is Prednisolone or other word that look the same name. This medicine is a high toxic, but it helps my father to breath thru his nose better. I think that this medicine makes the heart fast after taking this medicine in a few days - unsure.
Sorry to hear about your dad but I am glad he's OK. I never heard of it. I was surprised that the ENT didn't say anything to me about this. I had the nasal polyps removed twice (in 1989 and again in 2007). I don't take any medications for that. Well, I guess everyone is different. :roll:

Back