An Unsual Job Interview

pek1

Reaction score
I had an unusual job interview a few days ago this week. Never mind the fact that it was on the telephone (a super loud one for me to hear on).

I'm well aware that several will disagree that being deaf is a disability; however, it is covered under The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA). With that said, let me tell you what happened.

During the course of the interview, I told the assistant personnel director that I am accompanied by a hearing dog. A few days later, I spoke with her supervisor, the head personnel director/EEOE officer. She said to me that due to being deaf, they cannot hire me because I wouldn't hear the client. This is to work for an agency that cares for developmentally disabled people. I then said, "What? What did you say? Tell me you didn't say what I just thought you said?" She repeated it and I then said "it is unfortunate that I'm not taping this phone call, as you just discriminated against me on the basis of disability under The Americans with Disabilities Act." She said she "understood," at which point I said "you understand nothing." Do you know what kind of clients you have? Now, this entire conversation lasted about five to ten minutes, which I'm surprised she didn't hang up on me. I've already threatened a lawsuit against them for discrimination.

The questions I have are: There is a state representative that lives in town/nearby. Should I contact him regarding this, as he is a Democrat and this is one of his pet projects? Also, what about the news media? Should I file a complaint with the state of Minnesota? Should I contact an attorney? Now, I know what to do, but the question is: In what order should I do this? I've even thought of putting up a picket line in front of that business (a nonprofit) and faxing to all news media outlets informing them of it. What should I do? Note to jillio, shel, Reba, RoadRunner and jackie, I hope the four of you respond, as I respect your opinions.

Thanks!

I would start out by using the media and explain your situation to them. Then file complaint to ADA and your town. Speak with the lawyer and get advice from the lawyer.

First, I would contact an attorney, file complaints, fax to the media and then start a picket line. Go for it!!!

I cant believe that stupid woman.

First, contact that supervisor again with a certified letter, signed receipt requested. Restate your conversation with her in the letter. Describe your complaint to her. Explain that if you don't get a specific response (describe it fully) from her within a specified time (give an appropriate date), then you will take the next course of action. Give references to ADA and other laws (such as EEO) that pertain to your case. Keep the letter firm but polite and businesslike.

If that gets you no response, then take your formal complaint thru the agency's chain of command. Document everything. Then, if you don't get satisfaction, complain to the DoJ and your local state representative. If you get no satisfaction from that process, then take it to the press. By then, you will have a lot of documentation to prove that you tried every possible legal method, and that you didn't get satisfaction.

If you contact the press right away without going thru the other processes, they tend to consider you just a complaining crank without proof.

Just my opinion.

I hope you get satisfaction. :)

First, contact that supervisor again with a certified letter, signed receipt requested. Restate your conversation with her in the letter. Describe your complaint to her. Explain that if you don't get a specific response (describe it fully) from her within a specified time (give an appropriate date), then you will take the next course of action. Give references to ADA and other laws (such as EEO) that pertain to your case. Keep the letter firm but polite and businesslike.

If that gets you no response, then take your formal complaint thru the agency's chain of command. Document everything. Then, if you don't get satisfaction, complain to the DoJ and your local state representative. If you get no satisfaction from that process, then take it to the press. By then, you will have a lot of documentation to prove that you tried every possible legal method, and that you didn't get satisfaction.

If you contact the press right away without going thru the other processes, they tend to consider you just a complaining crank without proof.

Just my opinion.

That's a good plan. :)

I'm well aware that several will disagree that being deaf is a disability; however, it is covered under The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA). With that said, let me tell you what happened.
Are you saying that you don't think that deafness should be a disability? If that's the case, then you're contradicting yourself by considering the ADA in your complaint.
During the course of the interview, I told the assistant personnel director that I am accompanied by a hearing dog.
Why would a hearing dog be needed at work? What if they had employees that were allergic to dogs? Would that be fair to those employees?
She said to me that due to being deaf, they cannot hire me because I wouldn't hear the client.
Exactly what position were you applying for?
This is to work for an agency that cares for developmentally disabled people.
Do you have more details regarding this position? It doesn't always take one to know one. Just because you're deaf doesn't always mean that you're perfect for other deaf people... depending on the position. For instance, an interpreter works with deaf clients. So, does a deaf interpreter (who can't hear) suit a deaf client better than a hearing interpreter? No. Maybe, this position you're seeking is better suited for a deaf person... maybe not. That's why i was asking about the position.
She said she "understood," at which point I said "you understand nothing."
Isn't that response rather umm... harsh or too blunt or too negative?
What should I do?
Try contacting someone who is best suited for the job... NAD? Be sure to give them all details... not just your side of the story. Explain the job, why you think you are best suited for the job, etc. It will help them get a better understanding of what to do. Since the job you are requesting involves disabled clients, then NAD might be able to easily work something out.

Just my opinion.

Reba,

Thanks for this response and thanks to all responses! I needed to post this because I know what to do, just didn't want to jump the gun or come off half cocked on this one. As for the letter, I didn't think of this one, but have been thinking about this ever since it occurred and wasn't sure where to start. Better to ask for advice than to jump in and not know the course of the direction it needs to go.

Thanks again! I'll keep everyone posted.

Reba,

Thanks for this response and thanks to all responses! I needed to post this because I know what to do, just didn't want to jump the gun or come off half cocked on this one. As for the letter, I didn't think of this one, but have been thinking about this ever since it occurred and wasn't sure where to start. Better to ask for advice than to jump in and not know the course of the direction it needs to go.

Have you read this?

Americans with Disabilities Act Questions and Answers

They still do phone interviews?

EWWW!

I absoutely refuse to do phone interviews--it's impersonal.

Reba,

That's a wise thing to do..not jumping the gun on something like this. Hope you will get it resolved and pls do keep us updated. Good luck! :)

Reba,

Just how you present this letter can make a difference whether anything will get processed further--like Reba mentioned: "Keep it the letter firm, but polite and businesslike". Perhaps mentioning the fact that 'this' company can benefit from potential employees like yourself and create an even more positive outlook for the entire business. Hmm? This could 'put' them in another 'position', one that has a positive view, to explore or consider while you are able to address the other implication of the discrimination itself. The point here is rather than just making a stand, working against what agenda they adhere to, perhaps also showing a stance whereas you can present a positive attribute which can or could result in a good way, meaning, the position could become yours. ;)

~RR

Just how you present this letter can make a difference whether anything will get processed further--like Reba mentioned: "Keep it the letter firm, but polite and businesslike". Perhaps mentioning the fact that 'this' company can benefit from potential employees like yourself and create an even more positive outlook for the entire business. Hmm? This could 'put' them in another 'position', one that has a positive view, to explore or consider while you are able to address the other implication of the discrimination itself. The point here is rather than just making a stand, working against what agenda they adhere to, perhaps also showing a stance whereas you can present a positive attribute which can or could result in a good way, meaning, the position could become yours. ;)

~RR

I wrote the letter, but don't like it. So, I'm gonna pull something that I should have done already and that is to go into their office, unannounced, with Snickers wearing her cape. That way, I can avoid the letter and they can meet me in person before anything is either said or gets nasty, which I hope will not occur.

I get my van back from the body shop sometime Tuesday and will see if I have time to go in before going to work, if not, then will do it Wednesday.

Pek1, you think there is no such as a discrimination today? And you are complaining about it? Deal with it, that's how the world works. ADA won't save your ass. in matter of a fact, she was job interviewing you via phone and the result is you cant hear what she was saying even though you thought you understand her.

Lawsuit? If you sue them, you will not find any job anywhere because most companies do not like lawsuits.

P.S. If you can hear her on the phone and then what the fuck did you need a hearing dog for? Something is fishy.

I went to the company this afternoon, very nervous and thought I'd get thrown out on my ear. The opposite occurred. I did some paperwork so that they can check my record (which will come up clean) and everything. Seriously, I thought my goose was cooked, but was introduced to the HR lady's assistant. Snickers was on her typical behavior and it was great!

I never sent the letter, btw, but am glad I wrote it.

Thanks again everyone, will keep you posted sometime next week results should come back.

Pek1, you think there is no such as a discrimination today? And you are complaining about it? Deal with it, that's how the world works. ADA won't save your ass. in matter of a fact, she was job interviewing you via phone and the result is you cant hear what she was saying even though you thought you understand her.

Lawsuit? If you sue them, you will not find any job anywhere because most companies do not like lawsuits.

P.S. If you can hear her on the phone and then what the fuck did you need a hearing dog for? Something is fishy.

Please be careful before you can open your mouth and say something, but I think you should read the first post again and it should be appropiate for Pek1 to have his hearing dog. The relevant comment from him is below

"I had an unusual job interview a few days ago this week. Never mind the fact that it was on the telephone (a super loud one for me to hear on)."

No offense, everyone and apologises for going off topic :(

Please be careful before you can open your mouth and say something, but I think you should read the first post again and it should be appropiate for Pek1 to have his hearing dog. The relevant comment from him is below

"I had an unusual job interview a few days ago this week. Never mind the fact that it was on the telephone (a super loud one for me to hear on)."

No offense, everyone and apologises for going off topic :(

No offense taken, jclarke and you did not go off topic. Thanks for coming to my aid, mate! :thumb:

Back