An Unsual Job Interview

No problem, Pete ;)

I may be a little late chiming in on this one but Jake, you tha man! If I would have read this post earlier I would have responded, yes the world is cold and hard but you do things the right way you can accomplish what needs to be accomplished. that guy can't possibly think that the Americans with Disabilities act was created by people sitting around smokin' dope and doing nothing does he? You have to take action when things occur or your no better than the ones trying to push you down. Thank you Jake for clearing him up.:ty:

I may be a little late chiming in on this one but Jake, you tha man! If I would have read this post earlier I would have responded, yes the world is cold and hard but you do things the right way you can accomplish what needs to be accomplished. that guy can't possibly think that the Americans with Disabilities act was created by people sitting around smokin' dope and doing nothing does he? You have to take action when things occur or your no better than the ones trying to push you down. Thank you Jake for clearing him up.:ty:

No worries :D

Please be careful before you can open your mouth and say something, but I think you should read the first post again and it should be appropiate for Pek1 to have his hearing dog. The relevant comment from him is below

"I had an unusual job interview a few days ago this week. Never mind the fact that it was on the telephone (a super loud one for me to hear on)."

No offense, everyone and apologises for going off topic :(
:roll:

ADA is for pussies cases only, trust me. Pek1 gets the job did he? tell me? If I run my company, why should I hire him when I can hire a hearing person because he can hear and walk with dogless? I do care about my employees who is allergic to dogs. ADA can sue me anytime they want but I will win in court, period.

Why would you even apply for a job where one of the requirements is using the phone? That's the only thing that stops me from applying for certain jobs. I never use telephones due to my hearing so i stay away from jobs that require them.Seems to me you are the one wasting everyone's time here.

But, since your interview was conducted over the phone and you 'heard' them talking, i would say you probably have a case if you decided to pursue a lawsuit.

Why would you even apply for a job where one of the requirements is using the phone? That's the only thing that stops me from applying for certain jobs. I never use telephones due to my hearing so i stay away from jobs that require them.Seems to me you are the one wasting everyone's time here.

But, since your interview was conducted over the phone and you 'heard' them talking, i would say you probably have a case if you decided to pursue a lawsuit.

I dont think the job he is applying for requires phone work. It is providing care for developmentally disabled people..just happened that the interview was on the phone.

If is that case, surely he will win the lawsuit but according to his post, the lady stated ,"She said to me that due to being deaf, they cannot hire me because I wouldn't hear the client." Do you know what does that mean? I assume that Lady was testing him if he can hear or understand her saying. The result is he can't hear what the client says. Now you telling me what you think?

Is that all you can give to us? Pek1 is a good man in AD.com - - You better be careful next time! Better respect on others with their own business, like Pek1 who owns a hearing dog.
Listen, I am not going to argue with you this pointless statement. First of all, Pek1 is a great person, friendly with us, ok. Second, I have nothing to against him. I only speak what this thread about, period. If this is not a debate and tell me what are we discussing for?

No offensive to ANYONE includes pek1. :)

ADA is for pussies cases only, trust me. Pek1 gets the job did he? tell me? If I run my company, why should I hire him when I can hire a hearing person because he can hear and walk with dogless? I do care about my employees who is allergic to dogs. ADA can sue me anytime they want but I will win in court, period.

Actually, having allergies doesn't protect others from a service animal. Check the ADA on that. Plus, those with "allergies" sure didn't have them this morning when they walked the dog, cleaned the cat litterbox or the birdcage.

I dont think the job he is applying for requires phone work. It is providing care for developmentally disabled people..just happened that the interview was on the phone.

Precisely! Hey, would you believe that I've even applied to the Relay here in town and they won't even touch me, much less look at me? I don't hear everything on the phone, which is why I have started using the relay more. You know what, guys? Most of the deaf rely on technology to assist. What happens if it doesn't work, say, in the middle of the night and your house or apartment building is on fire and you don't have a hearing animal or anyone else living with you? Before knocking having a hearing animal, remember that not people look out for those who the ADA is supposed to protect and serve.

And, please, don't tell me I should sleep with my hearing aids on instead of having a hearing dog. :roll:

Listen, I am not going to argue with you this pointless statement. First of all, Pek1 is a great person, friendly with us, ok. Second, I have nothing to against him. I only speak what this thread about, period. If this is not a debate and tell me what are we discussing for?

No offensive to ANYONE includes pek1. :)

Me neither so I am not going to keep going doing like this. Let's move on.

Reba,

Thanks for this response and thanks to all responses! I needed to post this because I know what to do, just didn't want to jump the gun or come off half cocked on this one. As for the letter, I didn't think of this one, but have been thinking about this ever since it occurred and wasn't sure where to start. Better to ask for advice than to jump in and not know the course of the direction it needs to go.

Thanks again! I'll keep everyone posted.

Pek..I agree with everyone else.. but what Reba had stated in order....She is right.... Please take Reba s advise... she knows what she is doing....

:rl:

apparently you have a phobia of deaf people because you seem to be attacking the people here who are deaf and the organizations that help us.

You guys can argue with me anytime you want. But one thing is ADA can't protect your asses is a lot of million dollars companies and governments prefer to hire the best quality and the skills of the candidates needed to support them.

Want a crazy stories? Here are examples:

Here's what the court decided:

An airline carrier could refuse to hire two deaf pilots, even though their hear could be corrected to perfect. Since their condition could be fixed, the court said the law didn't protect them. Since the law didn't protect them, the airline company said: No job.

A delivery company fired a deaf mechanic who had high blood pressure. With medication, the blood pressure could be controlled. Since the medical condition was treatable, the court said the law didn't protect the man. Since the man had the condition, the delivery company said: No job.

So what does this mean for deaf people?

We're afraid that this means that, if you live in the U.S., you are trouble.

You have a disability. The ADA has been interpreted in the past to protect you. For example, the EEOC regulations specified: "a disability, is an impairment for ADA purposes." A U.S. Court of Appeal (a lower court than the Supreme Court) had ruled that a law graduate was protected by the law, and could ask for extra time to complete the state bar examination.

But the Supreme Court's decision will undermine many of these protections. The next time someone goes to court, they are going to have to prove that a disability is something that can not be corrected

In our mind, the fact that we can provide these strategies shouldn't effect a person's ability to avoid job discrimination, or get reasonable accommodations from their employer. 'Reasonable accommodations' might mean the right to take an employment-related test orally, rather than in writing. Or, it could be a technological solution, such as the right to use a computer dictation system on the job, rather than being expected to type.

But now we're worried. Because what the Supreme Court is telling you as a disability person is: Don't get help. If disability is a permanent, that will forever limit your ability to read, write, hear or whatever it is then maybe you will still be able to get accommodations under the ADA. You can work as a day laborer and never be required to take a written test, because you are disability.

But if you take the initiative to overcome your problems - if you work to become a better employee then you are in trouble. You might have noticed that all the best-paying jobs these days require you to be literate. So, rather than wallow in self-pity, maybe you enrolled in a class in your community, and worked your tail off, and now you can do it. By all your hard work, you have actually developed the skills and ability to do everything your job requires. Sure, you need the help of a spell-checker – but that's standard equipment on all computers these days.

What happens, according to the Supreme Court? Now, your boss can fire you, or refuse to promote you, just because you happen to be 'disability' even if you are doing your job well.

So what can you do? If the Supreme Court's interpretation stands, then there is only one safe course: go back into the closet. Don't tell your boss that you are disability. Lie about it. And count yourself lucky for having an invisible disability. Because, according to the U.S. Supreme Court, the law won't protect you any more.

I am sorry. I wanted pek1 to be able to achieve more, and to take pride in his abilities, to recognize his talents as gifts, and to know that with strength and determination, he can overcome his limitations.

Companies wanted to know that it is worth their while to invest in adaptive technology, such as a computer dictation system, or extend other accommodations to you, to have the benefit of your keen mind on the job. But the Supreme Court has spoken.

There are laws that prevent deaf people from being fired or refused a job, but unfortunately, these laws don't protect all people every time. Here's why there's no simple answer: Anti-discrimination laws protect people who are disabled from job discrimination. It is up to courts to decide whether a person qualifies as disabled, and therefore entitled to protection from job discrimination. While courts have often ruled that hearing impaired is a disability, they have not ruled this way in all cases.

Disability anti-discrimination laws do not protect you. Under the ADA, your employer can't discriminate against you so long as you're well enough to go to work regularly and do the basic parts of your job, but the ADA does not protect you when you cannot do your job.

Precisely! Hey, would you believe that I've even applied to the Relay here in town and they won't even touch me, much less look at me? I don't hear everything on the phone, which is why I have started using the relay more. You know what, guys? Most of the deaf rely on technology to assist. What happens if it doesn't work, say, in the middle of the night and your house or apartment building is on fire and you don't have a hearing animal or anyone else living with you? Before knocking having a hearing animal, remember that not people look out for those who the ADA is supposed to protect and serve.

And, please, don't tell me I should sleep with my hearing aids on instead of having a hearing dog. :roll:

:bump: No, there is nothing wrong with having a hearing dog. :afro:

Back