An insight into this sight

quite a lot of states give restricted licenses to the legally blind. Not totally, legally.

They still have to have 20/60 or better with the visual aid and some of the states that initially allowed it reconsidered when they noticed the rate of accidents was much higher because of the lower reaction time with a visual aid. Some states also require 20/100, Wyoming, for example. 20/70 - 20/200 is considered low vision so after correction with a bioptic, or in states like Wyoming, you can drive with an acuity that falls into the range of low vision, not legally blind.

Article on KY law

I also forgot to mention that when my retinas are swollen with blood from the disease, it hurts very badly and tends to make me snappish. I am working on that too, but have not yet attained sainthood. :(

I also forgot to mention that when my retinas are swollen with blood from the disease, it hurts very badly and tends to make me snappish. I am working on that too, but have not yet attained sainthood. :(

Ah - but we all love you to death!!:grouphug:

I just love you to death Botts because I can relate with you.

I admit my patience is almost nil these days. My husband is my saint. He's my angel as he eases me, he soothes me and still doesn't patronise me. He knows when I am losing my patience and will turn to me and ask if I am okay or not.

Blindness isn't easy to deal with. It is painful on so many aspects and it does make some people very hostile. I can relate with you Botts on so many levels.

Thank you for your words, you just made me cry.

I love you, Botts.

Awww, I appreciate you for who you are. You are a wonderful person with a great personality!

I just love you to death Botts because I can relate with you.

I admit my patience is almost nil these days. My husband is my saint. He's my angel as he eases me, he soothes me and still doesn't patronise me. He knows when I am losing my patience and will turn to me and ask if I am okay or not.

Blindness isn't easy to deal with. It is painful on so many aspects and it does make some people very hostile. I can relate with you Botts on so many levels.

Thank you for your words, you just made me cry.

I love you, Botts.

I love you too, Mrs. Bucket and I am sorry I made you cry.

Thanks for sharing this , I learned something new.

I remember my host dad talking about a course provided to teacher aides and dorm counsellors at ECD in Canada and they had to put on goggles and actually see through the eyes from persons with usher syndrome. He said it was scary because it affected his perception when trying to walk and stuff, but said it was really enlightening.

Mrs Bucket- pardon my ignorance but does a person with Ushers usually go totally blind or it depends on the severity of the syndrome itself?

I remember my host dad talking about a course provided to teacher aides and dorm counsellors at ECD in Canada and they had to put on goggles and actually see through the eyes from persons with usher syndrome. He said it was scary because it affected his perception when trying to walk and stuff, but said it was really enlightening.

Mrs Bucket- pardon my ignorance but does a person with Ushers usually go totally blind or it depends on the severity of the syndrome itself?

It does depend on the severity of Usher's.

Usher's Type 1,2,3 as well as other debilitating factors that contribute to the syndrome as well.

I have Usher's Syndrome 2 - born Deaf and losing vision later brought on by retinitis pigmentosa. It is very rough dealing with this because losing my vision was severe; it was quite fast.

Growing up, I wasn't able to catch well as I would drop the ball. I'd have clumsy gait and still do to this day only it is much worse. If I am very exhausted, I look like I am drunk.

I will have almost little to none vision as I get older hence the reason I enjoy each day as much as I can; vision-wise.

Mrs. Bucket, thank you for giving us some "insight" into your sight. :)

In some ways, blindness is to eyes what deafness is to ears. Some deaf still hear, but not nearly enough to function the same way as a full hearing person. Blindness is the same in this regard. Light can be seen, movement detected, but the vision is not functional for some tasks, such as driving. Some deaf hear nothing; some blind see nothing.

I have learned much from this thread. To those members that shared so much of themselves here, I thank you.

Back