Ammunition Rationing

I think I know why you're confused. You must be thinking of "cop killer bullets" which are teflon-coated. this type of ammo is illegal but it hasn't been around for a long time in America. you must be watching an episode from 90's. criminals did use cop killer bullets at that time but it was quickly gone.

but... it's pointless and ridiculous to buy "cop killer bullets" from other country because there are plenty of other types of ammunitions that can easily kill cops and you can buy it legally anywhere in America. it's called "Assault Rifle".

Yes, that's one of them, but more than one. I don't understand about why criminals prefer to dealing with black market, especially ammo - like you said less regulated than gun.

As my post to Reba - when legislators want to make heavily regulate on ammo, especially require the background check for ammo purchasers, so it is obvious about black market will becoming very popular. For right now, the black market for ammo isn't common as guns do. I'm saying that more regulation for ammo won't work at all.

no... no... no....

Yes, that's one of them, but more than one. I don't understand about why criminals prefer to dealing with black market, especially ammo - like you said less regulated than gun.

cuz there's no such a thing!

no... no... no....

cuz there's no such a thing!

You don't understand about what I'm saying and my post is very clearly about between regulation and black market.

My word for you - you have to look for those and the black market does exist for ammo - that's much smaller than guns.

You don't understand about what I'm saying and my post is very clearly about between regulation and black market.

My word for you - you have to look for those and the black market does exist for ammo - that's much smaller than guns.

no no no...... nope I don't understand any of this at all because it's ridiculous and silly.

my advice for you - go ask a cop. or any of your friend.

no no no...... nope I don't understand any of this at all because it's ridiculous and silly.

my advice for you - go ask a cop. or any of your friend.

It is only ridiculous and silly to you, also, I can't help you.

Some of my friends, especially my BFF know about ammo exist from black market.

No, that's not lie.

Both of my BFF and I discussed about gun issues, right after Sandy Hook shooting last December. He support the heavily regulation for gun and ammo, but I told about my concern with black market. He know about there are black market for gun and ammo, however he tipped about increase the law enforcement to investigate on guns and ammo that sold illegally. I just said - good luck, that's very expensive and ineffective. He favor gun control since I'm more moderate on gun policies.

ah... if both of you thought there's a black market for ammo... then both of you don't know jack...

this is where I bow out. I've had enough farce for today :cool2:

ah... if both of you thought there's a black market for ammo... then both of you don't know jack...

this is where I bow out. I've had enough farce for today :cool2:

Whatever - good night. :wave:

Interesting. Years ago, .30 cal bullets were about $1 a shot so a 22 shot was a much more economical choice. Today, if you can get the bullet, it would be half that price. A 9mm is an even larger bullet so I would think it would cost more anyway.

I haven't bought ammo in quite a long time.

P.S. Have you thought about making your own?

It won't stop anyone from buy ammo illegally, from black market for example....
Americans don't need to buy ammo illegally; they just need to drive over to the next state, or order it on-line for a better deal. It's legal.

It's a nutty proposal.

what for? there's really absolutely no point in creating black market for ammo... that's just as ridiculous as buying & selling water bottles illegally :lol:
However, Americans did buy illegal toilets from Canada. :giggle:

because I know over from all real documentaries, including news and various shows (gangs, drug dealers), but the knowledge of black market for ammo isn't commonly discussed via online.

The black market does exist for ammo, but my point - you don't know because they are hidden like rest of black market for drugs, alcoholic beverages, guns, etc. I don't know about black market in my local area but I did hear over the news.

Little man? lol, you are so, but I'm taller than you and really relaxed man today. :lol:
Black market is for selling items illegally. People can buy ammo legally, so why would they risk buying illegal ammo? Unless the illegal ammo is being sold at bargain prices or stolen (meaning real cheap), there would be no incentive for that.

Interesting. Years ago, .30 cal bullets were about $1 a shot so a 22 shot was a much more economical choice. Today, if you can get the bullet, it would be half that price. A 9mm is an even larger bullet so I would think it would cost more anyway.

I've read/heard that even re-loaders are scrambling to find enough used brass to make their own. That is, even the raw materials for making ammo is getting more difficult to find.

Making your own is a good way to go. That's the great thing about most revolver ammunition (like my .38 special); you can make your own if you get the right equipment. Even down to casting your own lead for your rounds. :D Very very cost effective in the long run. And it gives you something to do!

Making your own is a good way to go. That's the great thing about most revolver ammunition (like my .38 special); you can make your own if you get the right equipment. Even down to casting your own lead for your rounds. :D Very very cost effective in the long run. And it gives you something to do!

reloading your own ammo is only worthwhile if you expend a certain number of ammo per year.

For example - if you're in shooting competition where you'll use up over 4,000 bullets (9mm) a year.... then yes buying a reloading equipment would save you money. A few years ago, I did at least 5 IDPA competitions a year. That's about 200-300 bullets per match or 1,000-1,500 bullets a year not including practice range. Not worth my money to buy reloading equipment at that time since ammo was dirt cheap.

To start it out, a typical reloading equipment and supplies for 9mm can run you up to somewhere around $500 - $1000... and a box of 9mm (50 rounds) is usually between $7-30 depending on brand and political situation (supply/demand). So you do the math and decide what's best for you. Lot of regular shooters do pool in together and share the equipment and time.

According to my inventory record (yes I keep a record of price, date, quantity, brand, etc. on my little index card inside my ammo crate). Three years ago, I bought a box of 9mm for $8. According to Ammo :: Ammunition :: Ammo For Sale : Cheap Ammo : Find Ammunition at AmmoSeek.com and because of very limited supplies of 9mm, it's going for $20-35 a box now :(

reloading your own ammo is only worthwhile if you expend a certain number of ammo per year.

For example - if you're in shooting competition where you'll use up over 4,000 bullets (9mm) a year.... then yes buying a reloading equipment would save you money. A few years ago, I did at least 5 IDPA competitions a year. That's about 200-300 bullets per match or 1,000-1,500 bullets a year not including practice range. Not worth my money to buy reloading equipment at that time since ammo was dirt cheap.

To start it out, a typical reloading equipment and supplies for 9mm can run you up to somewhere around $500 - $1000... and a box of 9mm (50 rounds) is usually between $7-30 depending on brand and political situation (supply/demand). So you do the math and decide what's best for you. Lot of regular shooters do pool in together and share the equipment and time.

According to my inventory record (yes I keep a record of price, date, quantity, brand, etc. on my little index card inside my ammo crate). Three years ago, I bought a box of 9mm for $8. According to Ammo :: Ammunition :: Ammo For Sale : Cheap Ammo : Find Ammunition at AmmoSeek.com and because of very limited supplies of 9mm, it's going for $20-35 a box now :(

I typically travel to the range twice a month (once per paycheck). The average price for .38 special right now is about a dollar a piece. When I put 100-150 rounds downrange, I'm spending a lot of money. Revolver calibers are expensive, and almost automatically worth reloading. 9mm and .40, not so much unless, like you said, you're going through 4,000+ in a year. In my humble opinion, it's worth it to reload .38 if you're planning on shooting more than 500 in a year. Which, I'm going to do that in about three months.

Edit: Sorry, that's ~$1.00/piece for self defense ammunition. Otherwise it's about $20 for a box of 50 range-grade.

I've read/heard that even re-loaders are scrambling to find enough used brass to make their own. That is, even the raw materials for making ammo is getting more difficult to find.

If you can reuse the shells at the range, that would give you some material. I'm not sure if you need to make them completely new, but I'm sure there is going to be a percentage that you cannot reuse.

If you can reuse the shells at the range, that would give you some material. I'm not sure if you need to make them completely new, but I'm sure there is going to be a percentage that you cannot reuse.

not percentage. just how many time you can reuse it. for safety reason, it's advisable to reuse it only once. twice..... risky.

not percentage. just how many time you can reuse it. for safety reason, it's advisable to reuse it only once. twice..... risky.

Some of my brass I reload 6 or 7 times. You can inspect between firings. If you load it hot or it's cheap brass you wont get many reloads if any.

Some of my brass I reload 6 or 7 times. You can inspect between firings. If you load it hot or it's cheap brass you wont get many reloads if any.

yup. 6-7x? not bad. some guys I know at IDPA have reloaded it about 3-5x.

but I rather not play roulette game so I'll stick with 1-2x if I were to reload it myself. for now... I love buying Wolf. cheap and easy.

Back