Amish Life

racheleggert

Reaction score
I wonder have you gone to Amish village or lived Amish life yourself??? I have ridden on Greyhound/Jefferson Lines bus, Amish people rode on my bus.... I tought they don't believe in modern transportation? They even ate McDona;ds when we stopped in Bethany, MO. Weird???

I've never actually lived near where Amish people are at but when we went camping we sure did saw Amish people in their wagons and even at the shopping market....They're sure friendly people who are not scare to say ' Hello ' to strangers!....

It would be nice to live near where Amish people are at....

Yes, they don't believe in that kind of life. However, if it's necessary to get where they need to go or anything... they will do it.

I've seen Amish very frequently during my travels by car. They're interesting to watch.

Changes always changes.. for Amish can be tempation and want to anything more than wants to "try" than old their ways reason too much work.. I've seen they are always coming for 2nd hands of furnitures/clothes and etc etc.. . They are wise and save bargin money.. Espically I've seenig handsome hunk married ugly woman.. wonder why does their parent force amish married couple choice by parent decision or .. amish prefer pick girl or boy whatever.. depends it..
*curiouisity*

I hate seeing my kids always says.. Oh poor amish people, how looks.. I kept say.. shhhh.. *chuckles*

For almost two years, I had lived in a small town surrounded by Amish families....many of these people were indeed very friendly as long as you don't take their pictures which is something they do not believe in....it was easy to spot their homes and farms from the country roads, all I had to do was look at their windows and if I saw blue curtains in each window, then I knew an Amish family lived there....there were times that I would see an 'outsider' as they would call 'us' that would take them in a van or car...they sure didn't believe in having or driving these vehicles, but nothing was against most of the Amish beliefs about 'riding' along for a trip to the store or restaurant...once when I saw an Amish man talking on the pay phone in a store, I was at first quite surprised that he was using this 'modern' method of communication...there are several types of Amish folks, some will have a little bit of modernization such as gas, water pumped in, etc...while the majority of the Amish folks that I encountered didn't have electricity, gas or water (their water would be well-water), phones....the men who did not have beards were single while the ones with beards were married...quite a few of these Amish farmers were very rich but live the life simple according to their beliefs, all of their clothes were hand-sewn and basically either in blue or black and once in awhile, I would even see some greyish clothing....People in town would respect their ways and would never give them any hard time and would always slow down when passing them out on the road or highway when-ever they were out in their horse drawn-carriages....

Heck, I wouldn't mind giving up a day or two to live their lifestyle and experience it...but I just might take away their rooster...heh heh, and not have to wake up like 4 am to start the daily rounds of chores! :lol:

Roadrunner said:
For almost two years, I had lived in a small town surrounded by Amish families....many of these people were indeed very friendly as long as you don't take their pictures which is something they do not believe in....it was easy to spot their homes and farms from the country roads, all I had to do was look at their windows and if I saw blue curtains in each window, then I knew an Amish family lived there....there were times that I would see an 'outsider' as they would call 'us' that would take them in a van or car...they sure didn't believe in having or driving these vehicles, but nothing was against most of the Amish beliefs about 'riding' along for a trip to the store or restaurant...once when I saw an Amish man talking on the pay phone in a store, I was at first quite surprised that he was using this 'modern' method of communication...there are several types of Amish folks, some will have a little bit of modernization such as gas, water pumped in, etc...while the majority of the Amish folks that I encountered didn't have electricity, gas or water (their water would be well-water), phones....the men who did not have beards were single while the ones with beards were married...quite a few of these Amish farmers were very rich but live the life simple according to their beliefs, all of their clothes were hand-sewn and basically either in blue or black and once in awhile, I would even see some greyish clothing....People in town would respect their ways and would never give them any hard time and would always slow down when passing them out on the road or highway when-ever they were out in their horse drawn-carriages....

Heck, I wouldn't mind giving up a day or two to live their lifestyle and experience it...but I just might take away their rooster...heh heh, and not have to wake up like 4 am to start the daily rounds of chores! :lol:
Yeah, I heard about the pictures thing. They believe that when you take a picture of them... you're stealing their souls.

How fascinating! I saw a movie called, 'For Poorer and Richer' something like that with Tim Allen and Kirstie Alley in it. They played a rich city couple who end up running for their lives when a deal goes wrong with Tim's character in the city -- they lived with Amish people for a few months and they learned their ways and changed for the better. :)
I thought that movie was funny and interesting. ;)

I've seen that. There's a few others that are similar: Kingpin, Stranger Among Us, & Witness.

VamPyroX said:
I've seen that. There's a few others that are similar: Kingpin, Stranger Among Us, & Witness.

Oh yeah!! Witness was a GREAT movie! I thought that one was really good...with Harrison Ford, Lukas Haas and Kelly McGillis. :)

I haven't seen the other 2 yet. Should pick them up soon and have a see.

PurpleRose71 said:
Oh yeah!! Witness was a GREAT movie! I thought that one was really good...with Harrison Ford, Lukas Haas and Kelly McGillis. :)

I haven't seen the other 2 yet. Should pick them up soon and have a see.
Kingpin is about this former professional bowler who looks for a bowler to replace him. He picks this amish guy to bowl for him. Stranger Among Us is more of a downtown amish movie. This amish guy is killed in an amish jewelery store so they have this woman go as undercover as an amish woman to uncover the killer.

VamPyroX said:
Stranger Among Us[/i] is more of a downtown amish movie. This amish guy is killed in an amish jewelery store so they have this woman go as undercover as an amish woman to uncover the killer.
Stranger Among Us is about Hasidic Jews, not Amish.

VamPyroX said:
Kingpin is about this former professional bowler who looks for a bowler to replace him. He picks this amish guy to bowl for him. Stranger Among Us is more of a downtown amish movie. This amish guy is killed in an amish jewelery store so they have this woman go as undercover as an amish woman to uncover the killer.

hmm..that movie sounds interesting. I take it that you liked the movie, hey? May be worth my time and money to hire it from Blockbusters and see for myself. ;) (that's for Kingpin)

The Pennsylvanian Dutch is part of my family heritage, although I don't know much about how much "amish" there is. It would be interesting to find out.

I lived in NJ and often went to Lancaster, PA to see the outlets and Amish villages. I agree with the Buggy Safety, it is very difficult to see the buggies, especially on hilly, narrow roads at night. I once went on a tour, and they said that they do not believe in baptism until when the child is at right age. If the child decides he/she doesnt want to be baptisized as an Amish, the familly will accept it and let the child go. However, if an Amish person has already been baptisized, and break one of the strict laws, they would be shunned by Amish members.

Also, on their clothings, they do not have buttons because it reminds them of the German army uniforms, so they only wear clothes that have hook and clasp. I forgot what the exact term was. I saw an Amish newspaper and it was written in a different dialect of German, which was very interesting to read. The term "Ordnung" (order) is an important thing in Amish life. Everyone has their own roles. The family is dominated by the father, then the oldest son, younger sons, etc... then the mother, then daughters.

About pictures, thats right, it has something to do with souls. They also so not believe in mirrors as well. But they do have automobiles. I have seen some Amish people drive cars, so I don't think it is banned. I just think if they need to buy a car "within reason" and the elders approve it, then it's ok.

Imagine that they don't have computer or TV or nothing?

:eek: Sheesh, I have to have a computer, and I have to have a TV and I have to have something that make my life more easier than the Amish people!!

Do you think you can survive by living in Amish county with NO computer, TV, etc??

Not Me!!

They do not deal with technology changes unless approved by the church. They change very slowly and do not jump to changes immediately. If there is something that has been around for a very long time and they feel that it's needed, they will bring it through the church. Once approved, they can use it. That's why it's rare to see cars, phones, or lights.

Although the Amish typically do not use technology the restriction doesn't have to do with fear of technology or being banned from it. Instead the rule of thumb is that they do not use devices that would make them dependant on outsiders.

Each Amish group is independant and hold true to the original rules to varying degrees so making blanket statements about what they are allowed to do is tough. Here's a decent website though: http://www.religioustolerance.org/amish.htm

I was in Amish County in Ohio last May and bought two dolls for my girls. Each doll had no facial features. Just blank faces. I thought it was interesting because they believe that if you show face on a doll, it will promote vanity.

I also live in Amish country..in Ohio in Stark county.

Many of us are related directly and indirectly to the Amish and can lip-read German and English. If you don't follow "exactly" the "church practices," then you are "meidung" or cast out of the church and no one will associate with you. This happened a very long time ago in my husbands family so we are NOT Amish,..but it certainly makes interesting family history!!

Here is an interesting website.....www.stanellesjourney.blogspot.com

Back